ADVERTISEMENT

South Rowan coach resigns

Aug 24, 2009
Any thoughts on who would be a good candidate for S.R. to pick.

Ever who they pick it is going to be a up hill battle. Not trying to be hard on them, but from what I seen of them this year with them moving up to 3A it could be a long four years.

I have my opinions on why South Rowan isn’t as successful as they should be but I will say They need a young guy who will stay long term but things have to change for SR to maintain success on the field

I know he has been there for some time. Does anyone know if he is leaving for another team to coach or maybe just retiring from it all.

Has SR been competitive at all since Carson HS opened and effectively halved the schools ADM? Prior to Carson they were 4A and very competitive in a conference with Davie, West Forsyth, Reynolds, Parkland, North Davidson, etc., actually winning a share of the conference championship a couple times.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
Has SR been competitive at all since Carson HS opened and effectively halved the schools ADM? Prior to Carson they were 4A and very competitive in a conference with Davie, West Forsyth, Reynolds, Parkland, North Davidson, etc., actually winning a share of the conference championship a couple times.
Not really. They may have had 1 or 2 good seasons sense Carson was built.

I can only remember South Rowan last time of having a good season was back in 09 since Carson had open. I remembered watching AL Brown at South Rowan that year. It’s probably last time since South Rowan beat AL Brown. If they had any good season since then I’m not aware of it.

South doesn’t need a young coach. They need someone with about 20 years experience. I’d be happy to see them land a coach between 35-55.

I’d like to see both Brian Billings and Travis Billings get interviews as well as Jason Stanley and Daniel Crosby. I’d also seriously consider Larry Deal’s grandson and recent UNC grad Austin Chrismon if he was interested. I’d love to see him bring some of the Mack Brown vibe from being on the Heels roster.

Other guys I would go after.... notice I didn’t say wait around for them to apply.

Todd Haglar (I guarantee he’d listen)
Jeremy Ryan (He’d listen too)
Jared Rolfes (Oak Grove OC: former Page coach)
Bobby Poss (He’s local)
Steve Brooks (CB Aycock, rising star)
Tom Harper (Has SR background)
Kenneth McClamrock (ER/Cent Cabarrus)
Marty Paxton (He’s local)
Austin Trotter (Pine Lake Prep)

South doesn’t need a young coach. They need someone with about 20 years experience. I’d be happy to see them land a coach between 35-55.

I’d like to see both Brian Billings and Travis Billings get interviews as well as Jason Stanley and Daniel Crosby. I’d also seriously consider Larry Deal’s grandson and recent UNC grad Austin Chrismon if he was interested. I’d love to see him bring some of the Mack Brown vibe from being on the Heels roster.

Other guys I would go after.... notice I didn’t say wait around for them to apply.

Bobby Poss (He’s local)
Would McClammrock get back into coaching, didn’t he leave C.C. To spend more time with his family. And would Paxton leave Concord to take the South job.

Bobby Poss (He’s local)
Matt Beam would be perfect.

Would McClammrock get back into coaching, didn’t he leave C.C. To spend more time with his family. And would Paxton leave Concord to take the South job.
I don’t believe McClamrock would come out of retirement but he said say he knows a few guys who did apply

I don’t believe McClamrock would come out of retirement but he said say he knows a few guys who did apply
Kenneth McClamrock is NOT retired. He still works at Central. He may be taking a few years off, but I would be willing to bet that his football coaching days aren't done. With that said, I speak to him regularly, in fact, we've spoken several times today. While I don't think he is interested, I would love to see him look at it.

I also think there are several minority candidates that I would wholeheartedly look at. Guys like former South Rowan and A.L. Brown defensive coordinator Barry Lipscomb, Brandon Simmons at Green Level, Charlie Gray who's on A.L. Brown's staff now, or North Rowan OC Quin Martin, or Tyrus Rorie who's been at Garinger.

I think the biggest obstacle to getting a coach will be what teaching positions are available. As of now, Coach Yow hasn't left and there aren't any openings. That could mean that a current assistant, or retired, a non-faculty coach may not be out of the question. I think it could open the door for someone retired like Bobby Poss or Todd Hagler to be a very feasible situation.

Would I LOVE Matt Beam at South Rowan? Hell yeah! But he's not leaving the store for this job given that Rowan's pay and supplements aren't as good as neighboring counties.
I didnt know this.....they need to step it up to get a quality hire to build a winning program. There is a lot of talent in that area.

Hard to win when you have very little talent.
Chris, I have all the respect at S. R., but he would have the same problem at S.R.
I have a son that plays in the band, I seen S.R. Play this year. Other then 1 or 2 player there is no talent there. What will it take to get them back to where they were in the 80’s and 90’s.

What will it take to get them back to where they were in the 80’s and 90’s.
A strong coach with an entire staff of assistant coaches who all work in the school building every day. Pair that with a principal that allows football to have the tools necessary to win.

Chris, I have all the respect at S. R., but he would have the same problem at S.R.
I have a son that plays in the band, I seen S.R. Play this year. Other then 1 or 2 player there is no talent there. What will it take to get them back to where they were in the 80’s and 90’s.
Help is on the way if they can get a good coach, the Corriher Lipe middle school team went undefeated and unscored on. They won by a combined 168-0 this year. South also has help coming in other sports, both girls basketball teams won conference championships this year as did both boys teams. The softball team was very much improved over past years. They just need to find someone that can change the culture, they have been bad for so long that will not be easy.

Help is on the way if they can get a good coach, the Corriher Lipe middle school team went undefeated and unscored on. They won by a combined 168-0 this year. South also has help coming in other sports, both girls basketball teams won conference championships this year as did both boys teams. The softball team was very much improved over past years. They just need to find someone that can change the culture, they have been bad for so long that will not be easy.
Glad to have you on board. I heard about the Corriher Lipe team this year. Sounds like they had a pretty good running back. Will they all go to South or will some go to Carson.

Last edited:
While I respect @Chris opinion as He know way more about the Program as a whole at SR but I am still going say say A younger coach would be a good choice because they need some that will stay LONG TERM, I dont see OVER NIGHT SUCCESS so they need some who can stay at least 5-8 years to REBUILD that program.

My thing I notice at SR - SR had 13-14 player at 5'11 n under which to me is a disadvantage imo and speed isnt a factor at SR imo.

I would like to see a coach like Rydell Cowan or someone who hasn't been a HC , a Rising star as a OC. I doubt Caoch Cowan is interested but I would call him if I was SR. just my opinion - dont have to agree

Just for the record as well - I am a fan of coach YOW so I believe he will get another job

Glad to have you on board. I heard about the Corriher Lipe team this year. Sounds like they had a pretty good running back. Well they all go to South or will some go to Carson.
They get all of Corriher Lipe and a few from China Grove.

Any word on who are the leading candidate for this job.

who the middle school coach at Corriher lipe, wonder if he would want the job?
Tyler Rea! He is a great guy, he coaches girls basketball and is the athletic director! The kids love him, they would try to run though a brick wall if he asked them. I doubt seriously he would have any interest.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996

Bobby Poss (He’s local)
Did you say Bobby Poss? HOF coach.

Seen where they will announce their new coach Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT