ADVERTISEMENT

South Columbus VS Wheatmore

SCHS2011

Dec 12, 2015
Thoughts on the game? Any idea what kinda offense wheatmore runs? 9-2 record they must have a pretty scrappy team.

My thought about the West bracket is that I think someone was drinking when they made it. Wheatmore is 9-2 and is a 13 seed and a number 5 seed is 3-8. The entire bracket Seems mixed up.

Don’t know anything about Wheatmore. 9-2 is a really good record.

Reactions: TC Red Devil 89
They are not a high scoring team. They scored on average of 18 points per game and they gave up an average of 13 points per game.
According to maxpreps their SOS was weaker that South Columbus.

I coached there last year. They are a good group of kids. They work really hard and are a tough nose group. They do a great job finding ways to win

Reactions: Sharpless
Always look forward to playing someone new. Hope the Warriors have a safe trip down.

Wheatmore does find a way to win this year. 9-2 is a fine record no matter who you play. However, due to no fault of theirs, almost every team on their schedule was having a down year. Nonconference the highest ranked team they played (and beat) was Southwestern Randolph who the almighty Maxpreps says is ranked 241 in NC this year.

PAC7 conference was really down this year as well with only 3 teams having winning records. Wheatmore's only losses were to Randleman and Andrews in conference. Also had last second wins against both Trinity and Eastern Randolph.

I wish Wheatmore well during the playoffs but not sure how long they will be around.

Oh yea I got a feeling them boys gone be running everyday this week and not getting out of practice untill 7 this week. Them boys didn’t play hard last Friday . Now they needed that loss to get there heads out their butt. I love them to death but Gesh I cant blame coaches for that loss

I got to see Wheatmore play 4 times this season. Their offense was occasionally good but too often not so much.

But in those four games the defense took advantage of pretty much every mistake the opponents made which helped with 4th quarter comeback wins against Asheboro (3A), SW Randolph (3A) and E Randolph. If max preps stats are correct they had 33 take-a-ways on the season - 24 int, 9 fum rec.

This is Wheatmore's 4th time in the playoffs. 0-3 playoff record. And they have 1 of Randolph County's 4 first year coaches. I don't know what experience with playoff football Coach Yarbrough has.

9-2 is the best season they've had in their 9 year history and I also wish the Warriors good luck but they are 9-0 against teams NOT in the playoffs but 0-2 against teams IN the playoffs.

It’s going to be a tough game for sure. South Columbus is someone you much rather play on the road.

This thing with Maxpreps ain't going to work out. Just look at Trask 8-3 did not get in playoffs. Was on news tonight

People making those brackets were on crack. Is what it is now. Can’t change it now but changes need to be made next year. A team 8-3 doesn’t make it but a team in this bracket is 3-8 and made it. I know it’s because split conferences but still.

Reactions: dirty stallion
My thought about the West bracket is that I think someone was drinking when they made it. Wheatmore is 9-2 and is a 13 seed and a number 5 seed is 3-8. The entire bracket Seems mixed up.

Don’t know anything about Wheatmore. 9-2 is a really good record.
No mistake in the way the bracket itself was created; just a rule that needs to be changed about qualifying for the playoffs and/or seeding....that 3-8 team is the only 2A or 2AA team outside the top 64 in maxpreps rankings; they got credit for finishing second (won head to head tiebreaker) in a conference with 5 teams (7 in some sports, but 2 do not play football) where the winner is a state title contender every year, but then 2nd-5th are all in a rebuilding year (or three or four) where according to maxpreps ranking, none of them were anywhere near the top 64, but the state's playoff qualifying rules say a league with 5 teams gets 2 automatic bids, one in the tier of 1s, and one in the tier of 2s, and that all 2nd place teams are ahead of all wild cards, so there you go, they were the lowest seeded 2nd place finisher in 2A West bracket, probably a travesty that they're in over a team that went 8-3 and was left out because they were ranked #64 and this 3-8 team, ranked in the 90s or 100s, "stole" their spot

About Wheatmore, I'm picking South Columbus this week, Wheatmore is having one of, if not THE, best season in their school's history (football anyway, they've had some beast volleyball teams), yes they hold opponents to an average of 13.5 pts per game, but they only score an average of 18 per game...that will get it done against the bottom half of their conference, and they ran the table in non-conference but those teams combined to go 12-39 and 6 of those 12 wins were from the only one of the five who had a winning record, South Columbus has not played a ridiculously brutal schedule according to the power ratings people, in that a lot of teams in their conference are also going through the lean years, but this year, I would take the middle of the pack in the 3Rivers over the PAC-7, not sure what happened last week, I would have thought SC would beat Whiteville; missed on that pick; expecting SC to rebound this week

If SC played Whiteville 10 times SC would probably not win 1 game. SC did nothing Friday night,and I thought they would beat Pack. Sometimes when you see head to head talent comes out,you can see,matched up man to man. Pack had to muck speed and size.

South can not and has never been able to defend the pass ... so any team that can throw the ball is gonna eat them alive ... I honestly thought Souths offense stopped themselves most of the time until the game was outta hand and they just start going thru the motions .... I hope the pack enjoys that win they earned it and they know how hard they are to come by.... but like what was said that game is over .... it’s a new season and the one that actually matters

South can not and has never been able to defend the pass ... so any team that can throw the ball is gonna eat them alive ... I honestly thought Souths offense stopped themselves most of the time until the game was outta hand and they just start going thru the motions .... I hope the pack enjoys that win they earned it and they know how hard they are to come by.... but like what was said that game is over .... it’s a new season and the one that actually matters
Yea, there are not many high school teams very good at defending the pass....the best ones I've seen over the years don't necessarily have lock down corners and bone crushing safeties (and of course even if you do, now that gets you get a 15 yard penalty for a hit on a defenseless player), but instead the best way so many good high school teams defend the pass is to have fast; athletic defensive linemen wreaking havoc in the backfield and putting pressure on the QB; no telling how many times (not just in high school, but also a lot in college games) I've seen a busted coverage and a receiver or two all alone for what should have been an easy first down or TD, but the QB missed him since he was flat on his back, or at least running for his life

Wheatmore QB is a sophomore who eventually will be very good. Accuracy comes and goes when under pressure. He does like to throw the ball to one very quick wide receiver #6 I think who is hard to catch from behind.

Against 3-8 ER the offense had a hard time until drive in 4th quarter, mostly on the ground, which led to winning field goal. Defense for Wheatmore looked very good against the run. Passing game not so much.

Not sure if they can put enough points on scoreboard to beat South Columbus

Prob one of the few on here who have seen both teams play. south Columbus will best Wheatmore something in the 42-7 range.

To all of you SC posters, this coming Friday night,the Stallions will be facing the best team y'all have played since the EB game. Bottom line they will be more pressure on the Stallions than Whiteviille. The Wolfpack should be able to play loose, y'all on the other hand are playing for two things unbeaten season and the conference title. To be honest about it I think the odds are in the Pack's favor. You can believe in your superiority if you want, that won' t win you ballgames. I think it will be a close game but they better not be no mistakes by either team if it gonna be close. My pick is Wolfpack 21 Stallions 14.[/QU

I posted this post before last week's game and I think my assessment was pretty close to be right except I didn't see the Wolfpack would put 40 some points on S. Columbus.

I know Coach Dove. Those kids will be ready to play tomorrow. If I was in high school again he is one I would love to play for. He cares about young men. He's not in football for himself. There are not many like him around. Most coaches are in it for self glory. Kids see through that. South Columbus has a great one. Good luck to South. Pulling for you.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more, Coach Dove is a fantastic coach on and off the field. I was fortunate to have Jake and Joey as my coaches in high school but if I was playing now I'd want to play for dove that's for sure!

That’s two weeks in a row South offense can’t get out there own way ... clean it up or pump up them basketballs

That’s two weeks in a row South offense can’t get out there own way ... clean it up or pump up them basketballs

SC Basketball program sucks they better do something on that football field . I think the seniors are bad poision right now .... SC are giving up too easily not being aggressive and just going with the flow .... unless somebody proves me different lincolnton may bring that fire next week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT