ADVERTISEMENT

SMC

We have all yelled until we were blue about the disadvantage in basketball. As I’ve stated before when they start dominating 1a football then we might see thing change. It just sucks to have no real shot. Yeah Hayesville, Cherokee, Avery and many others tried to take down the Preps and Charters but no ones really broke thru. Just like all the schools not with Prep or Charter it is hard to stay competitive year in and out. We have traditional b-ball powers in the SMC but all have been inferior. And didn’t W-S prep get shut down?

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
We have all yelled until we were blue about the disadvantage in basketball. As I’ve stated before when they start dominating 1a football then we might see thing change. It just sucks to have no real shot. Yeah Hayesville, Cherokee, Avery and many others tried to take down the Preps and Charters but no ones really broke thru. Just like all the schools not with Prep or Charter it is hard to stay competitive year in and out. We have traditional b-ball powers in the SMC but all have been inferior. And didn’t W-S prep get shut down?
WS Prep is still open, they will not close as they are part of WSFCS.

Kestrel Heights in Durham got shut down, Prep is still going. But if you look back before charters came on the scene, most of the titles in the 90s and 2000s went to Thomasville, Jordan Matthews, Hendersonville, St Pauls, Burlington Cummings--schools that are 2A now. It has never truly been fair to the schools with 300 or 400 students. You used to have to beat schools twice your size, now you get to play schools your own size but they might as well be twice your size (at least)!

Last edited:
I’m afraid it won’t happen even with the upcoming class. It didn’t go good when the elder Cottrel brother played and they had size on that team. After seeing A team like Lincoln Charter play I just don’t see a SMC team competing with teams like that
They didn't have size the older Cottrell was a guard the 8th grader coming up is a post that will probably getting even bigger

Too bad once the braves get to the playoffs they have zero chance because mintz won't dominate anything once he plays a couple of 6'5 kids. It is sad because of the prep schools but Smoky mountain conference teams rarely can compete because of lack of size. Hayesville may be the exception in the next few years with their 8th grade class coming up and all the freshman they have contributing currently.
Guess all us SMC fans are glad that you charters don't like to get hit hard on tha football field!! Charters are a joke and tha lottery system unz go by is a joke!!! When all tha charters go under all us small town people will still be here gettin it!!!

Reactions: TigerDen1
They didn't have size the older Cottrell was a guard the 8th grader coming up is a post that will probably getting even bigger
Zac was 6’5 wasn’t he. I can’t help they played him at guard but that was his dads choice as to help him into his college position. In the SMC 6’5 is a center

Andrews boys just ran out of steam... kept up with Cherokee til halftime.. Freshman lack of experience has gave away some turnover.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Braves didn’t play very well and still cruised to. A 20 point win was up to 30 at one point . Looks like the lady braves are getting into a grove too

Guess all us SMC fans are glad that you charters don't like to get hit hard on tha football field!! Charters are a joke and tha lottery system unz go by is a joke!!! When all tha charters go under all us small town people will still be here gettin it!!!

Yes, getting a top notch, rigorous, college ready education is a joke these days. SMH.... The lottery is set up so it is fair for all involved..Charters can't recruit because the lottery is not a given...if you would do your research and stop assuming then you would know that...Charters aren't going anywhere I promise because traditional public school education is the joke. Charters are here and are the future....Deal with it...

You listin here joe!!! You and all you city slickers can shove your high fluten pansy education where tha sun don't shine!!! I'd rather my kids be a good somebody without a lick of education then a stuck up butt hole who's to smart to know there poop really does smell like everybody eleses!!! Most people that's "educated" can't rub 2 sticks together on account of them not havin enough common since to know how!! Or it's cause they aint got enough grit and back bone to!!! Some big natural disaster happens or your president Donald duck Trump gets tha grid blown down then what!!??? And please don't act like either 1 of them can't or won't happen there loveplayeducationlotterysmartdumbboy!!!

You listin here joe!!! You and all you city slickers can shove your high fluten pansy education where tha sun don't shine!!! I'd rather my kids be a good somebody without a lick of education then a stuck up butt hole who's to smart to know there poop really does smell like everybody eleses!!! Most people that's "educated" can't rub 2 sticks together on account of them not havin enough common since to know how!! Or it's cause they aint got enough grit and back bone to!!! Some big natural disaster happens or your president Donald duck Trump gets tha grid blown down then what!!??? And please don't act like either 1 of them can't or won't happen there loveplayeducationlotterysmartdumbboy!!!

No comment needed after this...lol

After that article and the closing of the school in Raleigh and the cardinal gibbons payment stuff guess there is no reason to argue the advantages lol go braves !!!!

The braves don’t have size but they play hard and have made it to the 3rd round the last few years . They played Lincoln charter to a dog fight and ran out of gas late so I wouldn’t say they have no chance but it is slim and everyone knows that but doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy basketball season

After that article and the closing of the school in Raleigh and the cardinal gibbons payment stuff guess there is no reason to argue the advantages lol go braves !!!!

The braves don’t have size but they play hard and have made it to the 3rd round the last few years . They played Lincoln charter to a dog fight and ran out of gas late so I wouldn’t say they have no chance but it is slim and everyone knows that but doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy basketball season
Sounds like whoever is defending those charter schools has an "investment" in them somehow. I'm sure it's a coincidence that nearly all the students at these schools are awesome athletes. It's all about the education.

Reactions: Crimson jacket 1991
Yes, getting a top notch, rigorous, college ready education is a joke these days. SMH.... The lottery is set up so it is fair for all involved..Charters can't recruit because the lottery is not a given...if you would do your research and stop assuming then you would know that...Charters aren't going anywhere I promise because traditional public school education is the joke. Charters are here and are the future....Deal with it...
The problem isn't just about the value of education, it's giving large sums of tax dollars to corporate boards that aren't democratically accountable. I am sure with your top notch, rigorous education you can see the potential for problems there. But you are also conflating (that's an SAT word I learned at my non-rigorous traditional high school that left me totally unprepared for college) whether charter schools should exist with whether they should play 1A sports. That is a type of logical fallacy called a straw man--somehow I also learned how to spot and call BS on those even without a charter school education.

Last edited:
The problem isn't just about the value of education, it's giving large sums of tax dollars to corporate boards that aren't democratically accountable. I am sure with your top notch, rigorous education you can see the potential for problems there. But you are also conflating (that's an SAT word I learned at my non-rigorous traditional high school that left me totally unprepared for college) whether charter schools should exist with whether they should play 1A sports. That is a type of logical fallacy called a straw man--somehow I also learned how to spot and call BS on those even without a charter school education.
I concur

When there's NO accountability, Corruption is likely to thrive and flourish!

Having grown up in a small town, went to the school in that small town, and played sports for that small town school....I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in this world....There's nothing like watching a kid grow up, and wear the same jersey that you wore when you attended that school or to see your kid, relatives or friends' children wearing that same jersey for that small town school...

Sadly, kids who matriculate to these charter or magnet schools will never have that connection with their communities that a lot of us have been fortunate enough to have, and that's why so many of us are so passionate about our little towns and small school sports' teams....

It's true that there may be some advantages for kids at these charter schools in terms of more academic courses, but the REAL world affects us all after our playing days are done, and I'm just glad that I can see, and talk to friends that I've known since elementary school...An education can carry you a long way, and I've been fortunate through the years to go to College, serve my country in the Military, and still stay grounded, and remain friends with people that I grew up with....

That's the life of a kid who grew up in a small town, and went to a small town school, and then returned to that small town as an adult...

How many kids from Charter or Magnet schools will, or have done the same?

Roar Tigers Roar!

Them people who run from tha heat in tha summer and migrate back when it gets cold in tha mountains will never know or relate to that tiger man!!

This whole Charters give you better education is a joke. Last I checked we all put our pants on the same way. I am educated and from a small public school but wait, I thought getting into college is only reserved for the HIGH and MIGHTY CHARTERS! Colleges and Universities only care about getting paid so you can eat your comment or as BK would say, feed yourself with a "Silver Spoon". Lottery System is a joke and this whole system is a joke much like your comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT