ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Picks contest?

I gave an idea after last year about having a confidence point system,so there would be more movement in the standings after each week(example:1pt for the LEAST amount of confidence a person has that TEAM A beats TEAM B,if there are 5 games played that week then 5pts would be the MOST confident a person would be that TEAM A beats TEAM B

I was thinking about keeping it simple, just changing the scoring and adding more non-conference games so that competition wouldn't drop off after conference play starts. What do you think about this:

All SMC teams' games will be used. Each game will be worth 2 points for each SMC team involved, so nonconference games will count as 2 points, and conference games will be worth 4 points.

The SMC Game of the Week will be worth twice an ordinary game (4 points for 1 SMC team, 8 points for 2).

The other "games of the week" will be worth 5 points each:

- 1A game of the week--a game involving a non-SMC 1A team (or two).

- WNC game of the week--a game from the WNCAC, WHC, or MAC.

- OMD's game of the week--a game that I think is interesting (no other reason required :) )

So, 4 flavors of Game of the Week, and the regular SMC schedule. That should be enough games to keep things interesting, and give people a chance to make up lost ground even during conference play.

And we'll use Google Forms to pick the games. Players would have to have a Google account (not a big deal if you use gmail, and they're free). They have a nice survey app that will make picking and keeping track of picks a lot easier and faster, hopefully. (I'm lazy. :) )

I second Tvilledawg, but I would add that it would be best if you couldn't go 5 points on every game...you would have to pick a game for each point 1-5.

Hm. How about this: you pick the number of points between 1 and 5, and the winning team. If they win you get that number of points; if they lose you don't just get no points, you LOSE that number of points. The only downside of this I can see is that people could easily end up with negative scores... not that I think many people who play WILL end up under water, but it could happen.

It would look like this on the form, a scale from 1 to 10:

Code:
              1       5 6       10
visitor (1-5) O O O O O O O O O O home (6-10)

where the O's are radio buttons. Picking the 1 button means you want the visitors and 5 points; picking the 10 button means you want the home team and 5 points. Similarly, picking the 5 button takes the visitors and 1 point, and the 6 button takes home and 1 point. Sounds complicated, but it's really pretty easy--it gives you a nice visual indicator of your confidence level... the more confident in your pick you are, the closer to one end or the other your pick will be. And there's no 0 option, so you have to risk at least a little bit one way or the other.

Thanks for the great idea! This looks like it might be interesting. What does everybody else think?

Last edited:
Here's the link to Week 1. Again, it requires a Google account (if you don't have one, they're free, and if you already have a GMail account or use Google Docs, you're all set).

We're working on the honor system. Submissions are anonymous, so only submit for yourself! :) But just in case I *do* get more than one entry with somebody's name on it, I added a field where you can put something unique that you can post on the forum to verify your entry. Keep it clean... and don't put anything in there that you can't post on here... something as simple as "I had tuna salad for lunch on 8/14" works. (As long as you remember what you had for lunch later on if somebody posts something bogus in your name....)

Anyway, here goes.

SMC Pick 'em Week 1:

http://goo.gl/forms/tmcqKwvTPl

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT