ADVERTISEMENT

1A Smc Boys

There was R'ville team a few years back who tore through everyone. I believe they didn't lose a game all through middle school. That team was productive and helped capture a share of the SMC when they made it to Varsity. But they only made it to the 3rd Round. Things change, you are no longer playing the same teams. Heck even the teams you've played have changed. Kids get bigger and better, some of the teams that get romped in Middle might actually turn into threats. It is hard to say what team would be successful. I agree with Observe, the SMC girls have a good chance to make it. As for R'ville's Middle School girls, lets hope Carolian Day doesn't come in and poach like they did with Beasley.

Our middle is much better than the team u mentioned. Only lose to murphy by 2 and a GA allstar team by 10. Both loses was on termites and they revenged the murphy lose in the tourney. They compete against aau teams in the off season. They have a few loses to some of those all star teams but what 1a school wouldnt

Reactions: Thatoneguy...
Our middle is much better than the team u mentioned. Only lose to murphy by 2 and a GA allstar team by 10. Both loses was on termites and they revenged the murphy lose in the tourney. They compete against aau teams in the off season. They have a few loses to some of those all star teams but what 1a school wouldnt
What can you argue at this point. You are right BK, they are beating teams like no other team has. It is astonishing the amount of points they are scoring compared to the amount of points being scored on them. I really hope they continue this....just hope no one dangles that absurd notion that you can't get noticed playing in small 1a. I don't care where you played, if you can play ball then you should have no problem being looked at.

I really hope they continue this....just hope no one dangles that absurd notion that you can't get noticed playing in small 1a. I don't care where you played, if you can play ball then you should have no problem being looked at.

Texas just signed a 6-9 native kid from Barrow, Alaska--a town that isn't even on the road system in our most remote state. If you can play, they'll find you. Otto Porter, Raymond Felton, Joe Harris, Ron Baker, Jason Smith, Reggie Bullock--plenty of NBA players come from small rural high schools.

Last edited:
D.T. will play for Robbinsville. She wont go anywhere.

This team has been taught Defense. Coach Cable believes in D.
The onky problem i see is the kids are spead out over 3 grades. Some are freshmen and some are 8th graders. 1 or 2 key playes are 7th. But the heart of the team is 7th and 8th graders.

The onky problem i see is the kids are spead out over 3 grades. Some are freshmen and some are 8th graders. 1 or 2 key playes are 7th. But the heart of the team is 7th and 8th graders.

Same issue with the Hayesville boys group everyone is expecting to be so good. The two main pieces that have everyone excited are 8th graders, but the key supporting players from the last two championship middle school teams is spread out pretty good from 6th-9th grade.

Cherokee with another running clock over Robbinsville . Girls by 18 I think

O&R is of course spot on as usual. The SMC boys may never win another state title, on the other hand the SMC girls will always be in the mix IMO.

The '04 Hayesville boy's title team was a perfect storm of a very talented team and a moderate 1A field. Was that Hayesville team the most talented SMC boy's "team" to take the court? No, probably not, but they had the best inside - outside duo of any SMC team before or since, and unlike other top level SMC teams they actually got the job done (which can never be taken from them). Now let's fast forward to 2018.. with so many charters and magnets cluttering the 1A field a SMC boys title team is a highly unlikely event, at least without a change to the present system. Pure talent wise the Smoky Mountain Conference has had other boy's teams besides the '04 Hayesville squad good enough to get it done over the last 20 years, but the 2A schools masquerading as 1A schools (Cummings, Thomasville, North Rowan, Monroe) and the magnets and charters (Winston Salem Prep, Voyager Academy, Lincoln Charter) have dominated 1A boys basketball during this time period.

On the other hand the SMC girls have figured in to the title picture more often than not. Now that the Bishop McGuinness girls have come to back to earth, I fully expect a compelling SMC - NWC battle of supremacy moving forward. Mt Airy, Bishop, East Surry, Cherokee, Murphy and Robbinsville will all be in the picture in the years to come. These are traditionally strong programs with state title winning teams.

Last edited:
There was R'ville team a few years back who tore through everyone. I believe they didn't lose a game all through middle school. That team was productive and helped capture a share of the SMC when they made it to Varsity. But they only made it to the 3rd Round. Things change, you are no longer playing the same teams. Heck even the teams you've played have changed. Kids get bigger and better, some of the teams that get romped in Middle might actually turn into threats. It is hard to say what team would be successful. I agree with Observe, the SMC girls have a good chance to make it. As for R'ville's Middle School girls, lets hope Carolian Day doesn't come in and poach like they did with Beasley.
Your 100% correct. Kids get stronger, faster grow taller. You just don’t know for sure

Braves, get us while u can.
I sure hope both our teams continue to improve. Our girls team has always been a thorn for Cherokee and hopefully the program gets back on top of the conference. It is a long shot this season to get a Conference title but the tournament is a completely different thing. As far our boys...idk kinda of a stretch. I am not going to look ahead because the season is far from over. Cherokee boys are dominating and have impressive wins over most of the conference. It really is a battle for playoff seeding if Cherokee continues their annihilation of the SMC.

I do have one observation about Cherokee though. Hands down they have the best seating to watch games but it is hard to really find a section for our fans when Cherokee has their fans scattered in every section of the gym. It is their gym but I know as fans we can get heavily invested in games and emotions run high. We scream and yell for our schools but we do have characters who might take exception to comments about players. (I am saying this for both sides) And let me note, R'ville does this at our gym to a degree but our seating like many others gyms are limited. Cherokee has the space and people sit where they are comfortable but I just worry something might escalate in the stands.

I do have one observation about Cherokee though. Hands down they have the best seating to watch games but it is hard to really find a section for our fans when Cherokee has their fans scattered in every section of the gym. It is their gym but I know as fans we can get heavily invested in games and emotions run high. We scream and yell for our schools but we do have characters who might take exception to comments about players. (I am saying this for both sides) And let me note, R'ville does this at our gym to a degree but our seating like many others gyms are limited. Cherokee has the space and people sit where they are comfortable but I just worry something might escalate in the stands.
Amen brother. I see it at other schools too and it really irks me. I really enjoy a game and when you have opposing fans or students setting on the visitors side I think it’s a recipe for trouble. I’ve seen it for years and eventually something is going to happen. I’ve even seen it in football. Not being a Ahole but if your brave enough to set on the wrong side you better keep your opinion to yourself when the opposing fans are getting rowdy. I personally don’t hold back. If you ever play Union County Ga they put their student section on the visitors side and they are brats. We have one fight there a few years ago and it’s dicey every time we go there. To me a Principal and AD should address this with their fans and students in every school in the conference. Eventually they will be a throw down and then it will be to late. Set on your on side people that’s why it usually has a sign for Home & Vistors

Reactions: Br549_
That is the best thing about Hayesville gym (because it sure isn't the view)--clear home and visitor sides with the walkways between them roped off.

Reactions: Br549_
Seriously observer!!!??? Please don't get me started on them people stuck in tha 1800s down there in hayesville!!!!!

That's what I'm saying--fans that hate each other don't have to be around each other. Several other gyms in the SMC, as well as some of the North GA schools, fans from both teams seem to sit in pockets all over the gym and it makes it awkward (or combustible) when the fans don't like each other. There are things to dislike about that gym--bad sight lines, putting the student section over top the visitor's bench for years was a bad idea, etc., but I like having a clear home side and away side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Man it's a long story and I'm at work right now!! I'll get back to unz this evenin, I've gotta go eat my wheatys!!!!

Good deal. I just kinda figured it had something to do with having a bowl of seats, since Towns is like that, too, and is the same way .

There were several Hayesville fans who sat in the visitor side who made a rough night a couple weeks ago at Hayesville. As for ours it’s clearly marked two sections for visitors. We do have our fans that seem to sit there for some reason but the rowdy ones side on home side

Bk we always do . We are definitely enjoying it now In Boys as we have won a share or reg season or tournament for the last few years nobody will touch them this year. The girls team has been on a great run for years.

Question has there been a Boys team dominate the conference so heavily . No games under 20 points . 30 pointed the second place team twice ? Not saying they are best team ever in smc just a dominating year

Bk we always do . We are definitely enjoying it now In Boys as we have won a share or reg season or tournament for the last few years nobody will touch them this year. The girls team has been on a great run for years.

Question has there been a Boys team dominate the conference so heavily . No games under 20 points . 30 pointed the second place team twice ? Not saying they are best team ever in smc just a dominating year
Rosman had some dominating teams back in the day.

Actually with D. Thomas dad Chris we we're runner up at state. Also with Shane Galloway that was a great run as well.

Reactions: MRC3
I guess what I’m asking is has there been that big of a gap between 1 and the rest .

I remember that Rosman team. And I concur about them. They dominated that was of course until Robbinsville upset them in the tournament back when the plexiglass was pounding in our gym. Of course that set up Cherokees OT tournament win against us. But yes there have been other teams. Heck you mentioned the Hayesville team, they dominated. Even when the older Cottrel played they had a stretch where they blew out a lot of the conference.

I feel like it’s the worst girls and Boys have been down in a while . No really good teams except Cherokee in Boys . Murphy really good jury still out on my lady braves and Robbinsville is decent in girls

I had forgotten Robbinsville beat Rosman in the tourney that year. 05 Rosman was probably the biggest and one of the most skilled teams ever in the SMC. Interestingly, knights were also the only conference team to beat Hayesville's title team the year before--mid 2000s smc giant killers. And then Hayesville 2012 team's closest game until 2 pt loss at regionals was a 9 point win against Franklin. So I don't know that the way the Braves are winning is unprecedented, but this Cherokee team is VERY good. Scary thing is they don't even seem to have found their shot after football yet.

I feel like it’s the worst girls and Boys have been down in a while . No really good teams except Cherokee in Boys . Murphy really good jury still out on my lady braves and Robbinsville is decent in girls
The boys conference has been down for a bit. Cherokee has found consistency in that though. It was weird to see former teams like Murphy be dismal at bball. But in that same context Rosman reemerged, Andrews is beginning to feel like that vintage Andrews and of course Hayesville sustains itself in the conversation. Murphy is already flipped the script and no longer in the cellar. Swain fluctuates but they are a pesky team. Cherokee just has all the right pieces and they haven't peaked yet. I agree that no one is close to them but just like all the previous big dogs in the conference they have a huge target on their back. There might be a night where one of these other teams get hot. With the abundance of good shooters in this conference and sluggish night for Cherokee, it could produce an upset. All in all though; if Cherokee continues to show up, there is no chance. They played back to back nights and blew out both my team and Hayesville 30+. They can be a giant killer and that is something i would really like to see.

What I see is a very young Conference. I actually went down the rosters last week. I knew we had some young teams but we really have a lot of talent coming back for most all teams. Having said that Cherokee has the most Senior lead team and that to me is the reason for such dominant play. I believe in the next year or two things will improve across the board for the rest of the conference. I thought Swain had a lot of Seniors but actually they have most their team back next year. I don’t know why this team didn’t have a great season. In my opinion they have more talent than anyone but could still make some noise in the tournament. Look out for Swain next year

All Bk got to talk about is middle school lol . I think this Cherokee Boys team won 3 straight conf champ with only 1 loss if I remember right

Reactions: MHS-88
This team had won every season they played. All time record 100+ wins 2 loses.
About 90 in a row. I dont think yours did anything close to that.

Like I said all you talk about is middle school . You should talk about your high school boys team which might be as bad as I’ve seen

And come down to a real youth league and play if you gonna count youth wins lol

If anybody wants to know history in tha SMC then take a jab at bk and them knights and you'll hear what's happen since day 1!!! What happened between rosman and robinsville tonight??

Reactions: BravesGWY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT