ADVERTISEMENT

SMC Boys 2014-15 discussion/predictions

ncvol2381

Jan 23, 2008
Question #1 - Hayesville and Robbinsville should once again battle it out for the SMC title next season but which team will ultimately finish the year as SMC champs?

Question #2 - Cherokee once again appears to be the top challenger to the Jackets and Knights. So, will the Braves repeat their 3rd place finish or will a new team emerge as the top competition to Hayesville and Robbinsville?

Question #3 - How many starters does each team return next season?

Question #4 - Which team will be the most improved and which team will see the biggest drop off from last season?

Question #5 - Zach Cottrell should easily win SMC POY honors, so who then will be the second best player in the SMC?

Murphy:
The 'Dogs are coming off another poor season and three consecutive years where the program has regressed. Now it's time to ask some hard questions of the program. Coach Payne, he's a great guy and clearly an upgrade over Murphy's previous coach (one of the worst in the state) yet he needs to demonstrate that the program is on the rise once again.

With the talent pool walking the hallways and the number of athletes relative to the rest of the SMC, Murphy should RARELY finish outside the top 3 in SMC play. The dwindling participation from the school's top athletes the last few years has been a major issue, as Coach Payne has shown an inability to consistently win without elite talent. Hayesville and Robbinsville (to a lesser extent) have been the only consistent programs in the SMC for quite a few years now, Murphy should be in that group.

What all this means is that if another year of regression or the status quo of the last three years occurs then a discussion regarding the Murphy head BB coach position must take place. Murphy is bringing back 4 starters and have added a major transfer. While the talent of that group is mediocre at best, a real building block has fallen into the staff's lap so a real bounce back year should be in the cards. If it's not and the same history of not utilizing timeouts, having too large of a rotation, bizarre substitution patterns etc. occurs then this discussion should become action.

This post was edited on 5/1 11:47 PM by ncvol2381

Hayesville should be on another level from everyone else in the SMC.

They return a ton from a good team, they have an undefeated JV coming up, and they have a freshman coming up from the middle school who, like his older brother (who was SMC POY his freshman year 2 years ago), should be an impact player immediately.

That's not to say that Robbinsville won't also be very good. They have a lot of talent and size returning as well, and are well-coached. I could see 2 SMC teams at regionals next year, possibly.

However, I do think the league will be top-heavy, and that after those 2 and Cherokee, nobody else will be very good.

Yeah looks like Hayesville is going to be on another level from the rest of the SMC, anything less than regional would be a disappointment.

I expect Murphy to be a little better but still weak compared to the top teams for the reasons mentioned above. The 6'8 transfer from Indiana is going to be fun to watch at least.

Originally posted by mbdfan:
Yeah looks like Hayesville is going to be on another level from the rest of the SMC, anything less than regional would be a disappointment.

I expect Murphy to be a little better but still weak compared to the top teams for the reasons mentioned above. The 6'8 transfer from Indiana is going to be fun to watch at least.
I have heard tell of this kid and his dunking ability. How is the rest of his game?

Murphy's core had a lot of juniors this year (Stroup, McRae, Puccio, Cox), so they should be better next year if they all come back out. But as far as the conference race goes, I just think Robbinsville should be extremely good next year by SMC standards, and Hayesville should be extremely good by any standard.

Question #1 - Hayesville should easily sweep everyone in the SMC, including Robbinsville. Hayesville lost seniors who, to me, seemed to hurt the team more than help them and the kids taking their place should improve the team. Last season Robbinsville stole the championship, but not to say that they didn't earn it.
Question #2 - Cherokee should continue to be the 3rd place team with their size and quickness. I do not see anyone stepping above them for the 3rd place team unless Murphy gets their basketball act together and starts competing every game like the Bulldogs have done in the past.
Question #3 - I know Murphy is returning all of their starters, Hayesville with 3, Robbinsville with 4, but I do not know for sure about the rest in the SMC. Anyone?
Question #4 - I hate to say it, but I actually think that Hayesville will be the team to see the most improvement. Murphy also has potential to turn things around this year with the core group of Seniors that they have coming in, and we have all heard of the new prospect that they have acquired. The team that I think is most likely to have the biggest drop off from last season is Andrews seeing that they are losing their big guy in the middle and many of their key guards. I doubt they will finish 4th in the SMC as they did this year.
Question #5 - Agreed that Cottrell will win the POY honors, and really who cares about 2nd place?

Originally posted by mbdfan:

While I still feel the 'Dogs are a long way off from Hayesville and Robbinsville I think Murphy will have a legitimate shot at 3rd place now from strictly a talent perspective. In addition to the 6'8 kid the 'Dogs have also added another transfer who should immediately step into the starting lineup for Murphy.

These two transfers along with returning starters Stroup and McCrae gives the 'Dogs a nice quartet to build around this year. If Murphy can get one of the other returnees or JV players moving up to elevate their game to a legit starter level Murphy would firmly be in the mix for 3rd place this season.

There are no excuses for Coach Payne this season, not with the whole team coming back and the addition of two starter quality transfers. We fans should see a noticeable improvement over last season, another repeat of last season and it will be time to move in a different direction for the future health and growth of Murphy's basketball program.

This post was edited on 7/3 1:12 AM by mbdfan

Originally posted by ObserveAndReport:

I have heard tell of this kid and his dunking ability. How is the rest of his game?
I haven't seen enough of Josh to give you much of an assessment OAR, with no views in a real game situation it's difficult for me to ascertain too much. But I'll try to give it my best based on my very limited viewing.

First off in addition to his height he has a large wingspan. When I saw him he was swatting everything, he really gave me the impression that he'd be an elite shot blocker and good weak side defender at this level. He runs the floor pretty well and is more of a 'smooth' athlete than a 'freak' athlete. His biggest asset may ultimately be his ability to demoralize lesser teams and energize the crowd with both his dunks and blocks.

He's also rail thin and a somewhat of finesse player. I can't envision him being the kind of low block scorer or defender you'd hope for when getting someone of his height. He'd be best in a run 'n' gun offense where he was afforded the opportunity to get out in transition and clean up around the rim with easy put backs and dunks. I don't think he'll be much of a half court player, hope he proves me wrong on that.

This post was edited on 7/3 1:14 AM by mbdfan

Originally posted by Catawbavalleybasketball:

The only road block to Hayesville going to the regionals may be the Cherryville Ironmen...
May not even meet with the pods being gone.

They will seed east and west 1-32 and go play. It will make for some long road trips.

Common sense seems to have completely vacated the decison making of the NCHSAA....there are going to be some very long trips....
Where will the west regionals be held for 2015?

Why has Asheville never been considered....seems like a logical place for the West 1A...I surely hope no one has to play in the ice hockey hut where we played several times in Winston- Salem....Any place beats W-S....even Greensboro

It was supposed to be easy for Hayesville last year, and, well, we all know how that turned out. As far as being on a different level. we shall see. I highly doubt it. Cotrell is a good player no doubt. To not mention C. Huskey is just a slap in the face and for the coaches not to recognize his talent and ability after last season, was a joke. Cherokee should finish 3rd with Rosman, Murphy, Swain, and Andrews battling for 4-7 spots.

Someone bigger and better than the Cherryville Ironmen will have to take down Hayesville this year. Hayesville's squad of upcoming juniors and seniors gave the highly favored Ironmen team, which was full of seniors,gave Cherryville one of their toughest games last year.

Time will tell. The same team that scored 3..... YES THREE pts through 3 whole quarters against Robbinsville. They will be good but not unbeatable by no means.

blankimage.png

Actually Hayesville scored 6 points through the first three quarters in that tournament game, thank you. Robbinsville had a game plan coming into that game, and they followed through with it. However, trust me on this, scoring is not going to be a problem at all for Hayesville this year.

333.....The Ironmen had only two seniors who played during the game against Hayesville the past season...one the best players was freshman,Yung Sherrill. Hard to understand how Hayesville did not win the conference outright with the team that came to Cherryville. They were very athletic and had excellent talent. The Ironmen will be tough again if they can find a "closer."

Catawba...I was almost positive that both the Cunningham kid and the Postell kid were both seniors. The two of them were, to me, the players who made the whole team go. Not to disregard the two knock down shooters Cherryville had, nor the freshman in the middle, but the two kids that I mentioned were the ones who hurt Hayesville. Hayesville did have the talent last year to win the conference outright, and were more than likely the best team, but both Cherokee and Robbinsville showed up with their best game on the nights that they beat Hayesville.
If Cherryville would not have lost two of their players last year in the playoffs, I guarantee that they would not have lost to Avery, and Cherryville would have given Prep a much better game than Avery did.

I agree with the conference being a 3 tier contender with everyone else shuffling in the mix below 3rd. Curious to see Murphy's big boy. Could help revamp a once powerful contender. As far as hayesville they now have the Cottrell brothers. I've seen the younger one play and he is like his father a complete sharp shooter. Can hit from very long ranges. Giving his brothers power and finesse underneath it is going to be harder to handle. Having said that Hayesville isn't just walking away with the conference. It is going to be a dog fight. I understand the hype over an undefeated JV team but i believe robbinsville has had some undefeated squads moving up as well. Robbinsville returns all but one. In addition they add some jv and a freshman whose played toe to toe with the younger Cottrell in that of Elijah Wachacha. The Hemphill boy has grown up in football so I can see him being a bigger contributer underneath. Let's not forget these younger boys were a part of a middle school team that went undefeated for couple of years. So when these younger ones grow comfortable the chemistry already there will fix itself. Lastly you have the back bone of Cole Huskey, he's a tremendous player. Then you add Cruz Galaviz speed and Sklar Matherson intensity it's going to be Interesting. I think Robbinsville grew up after Hayesville torched them in the final regular season match up so I see a more hunger team this year. The last of the tiers is of course Cherokee. They could win the conference as well if they would be more consistent throughout the season. You can expect to be favored if your going to lose to Highlands. They turned it around late in the season and pushed a 3 way tie on a last second shot. They lost some players but have gained some talent as well. A transfer from Tennessee and some sharp shooting guards out the JV. Last I heard the roster could have as bench full of 15 and a fresh 5 that can compete like starters. Problem here is they are a guard heavy team. Not too much size underneath so what they lack in height they more than make up with speed. Dustin Johnson is a scoring machine and you have Jason Macmillan who I've heard often as "j-money" and seen he can be a threat from beyond the ark. These team just needs to work hard on consistency and play every game hard. I understand hype and right now without a game being played its all hear say. All I hope is that these SMC teams can put it together and make a run for a state title. It's an up hill battle for a small school conference in that of the SMC so good luck!

I would give Hayesville and Cherokee the early advantage. After all they will be able to practice this week while Rville is still playing football.

Originally posted by BK13T-$:
I would give Hayesville and Cherokee the early advantage. After all they will be able to practice this week while Rville is still playing football.
Funny, Hayesville did not use that excuse when they played Robbinsville after one day of practice last year.

And I can only think of 1 player on the Rville bball team that doesnt play football. I would think hayesville has more kids on the bball team that dont play football. This would make it harder for us. Just my thought on it.

Bk show me a post where someone used it as an excuse. Hayesville only had 4 that didn't play football last year.

Just to clarify I think the post said something about only having a week to prepare. But Hayesville got it together. As far as preparation the Cottrells do not play football. So I assume they have been getting ready either way. I am excited to hear how they'll do in an up coming thanksgiving tournament in Raleigh. I've heard thru the grapevine that the 6'8" boy has transferred back to Georgia. And I think Cherokee opens up play next Tuesday against Franklin. As far as Robbinsville they are still in football mode so senseless to speculate much there. But I do think they only have 2 ppl not playing football that were on varsity last year. That being Cole Huskey and Tyler Long. So we will cross Robbinsvilles bridge when that time comes. For the teams still in the hunt good luck. For those basketball teams just ready for another eventful season.

We'll lets just see if Robbinsville plays the first Tuesday after the season ends.

Smoky Mtn, Reynolds and Robbinsville had a match last night. Anyone know how that went down. Oh sorry. Wrong page. It was probably just Rville girls. Either way does anyone know how that went down?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT