ADVERTISEMENT

SMC 2024

SMCtalk

Aug 18, 2014
Very quiet this off season.. I’m very surprised no one is talking. No one talking about schedules or predictions.

Hayesville Schedule

Aug 16 Copper Basin (Scrimmage)
Aug 23 Asheville School
Aug 30 Open
Sept 6 @Andrews
Sept 13 @Pisgah
Sept 20 Georgia Force
Sept 27 @Concord Christian TN
Oct 4 Murphy
Oct 11 @Swain
Oct 18 @cherokee
Oct 25 Robbinsville
Nov 1 at Andrews

Hayesville Schedule

Aug 16 Copper Basin (Scrimmage)
Aug 23 Asheville School
Aug 30 Open
Sept 6 @Andrews
Sept 13 @Pisgah
Sept 20 Georgia Force
Sept 27 @Concord Christian TN
Oct 4 Murphy
Oct 11 @Swain
Oct 18 @cherokee
Oct 25 Robbinsville
Nov 1 at Andrews

Bringing back the non-conference game between conference teams. Haven't seen that in like 15-20 years in the SMC. But Andrews, Cherokee and Robbinsville used to all do it back in the day and I think gates and fan interest are probably better for that than for out of state home school teams. Interesting that it isn't a home and home though.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHC02
Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy will be solid as usual I’m sure. It is strange Hayesville going to Andrews twice and not playing Towns County. Looking at Hayesville scores from last year they played the Big 3 close (1 score game against them). Do they have a chance to make some noise or did they lose too much?

Reactions: WHC02
Swain would seem to be the team to beat in the SMC this year if they can adequately replace their backfield, they will certainly have the best line in the conference. I would never count out Robbinsville though, yes they lost some killers to graduation but they're bringing back a good nucleus of talent (more than some people realize) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Allison moved up from JV and play a legitimate role this season as a freshman, he's an absolute burner and looks like the next star in the Robbinsville RB lineage.

Murphy and Hayesville will both be talented but young this season, each a year away from serious contention in my opinion. I feel confident Hayesville breaks into the top 3 in the conference in 2025 but they will have a shot this year as well. I see Murphy potentially taking a small step back this year with a 3rd or possibly 4th place finish in the SMC depending on how the trip to Hayesville goes. Having said that Murphy is my early favorite in the conference for 2025 with a really strong rising junior class supplemented by a couple of absolute studs in the rising sophomore class. On paper 2025 should be Murphy's best squad in several years. As for 2024:

1) Swain
2) Robbinsville
3) Murphy/Hayesville
4) Hayesville/Murphy
5) Cherokee
6) Andrews

Last edited:
Any hope for Cherokee? Or should I just stick with watching their girls bball team the next few years LOL

Any hope for Cherokee? Or should I just stick with watching their girls bball team the next few years LOL
Majority of Cherokee's most productive players were seniors last year and that was one of the weaker Braves teams talent wise in recent memory I thought. There's a couple solid receivers coming back and the Teesateskie kid has some potential at QB, but truthfully I see a rebuilding season for Cherokee in 2024.

Some good news for you though is Cherokee had their strongest JV team in many years last season (finished 6-1 and lost to Robbinsville by 2) and should in theory have a pretty good varsity group coming through in a couple years.

Last edited:
Swain would seem to be the team to beat in the SMC this year if they can adequately replace their backfield, they will certainly have the best line in the conference. I would never count out Robbinsville though, yes they lost some killers to graduation but they're bringing back a good nucleus of talent (more than some people realize) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Allison moved up from JV and play a legitimate role this season as a freshman, he's an absolute burner and looks like the next star in the Robbinsville RB lineage.

Murphy and Hayesville will both be talented but young this season, each a year away from serious contention in my opinion. I feel confident Hayesville breaks into the top 3 in the conference in 2025 but they will have a shot this year as well. I see Murphy potentially taking a small step back this year with a 3rd or possibly 4th place finish in the SMC depending on how the trip to Hayesville goes. Having said that Murphy is my early favorite in the conference for 2025 with a really strong rising junior class supplemented by a couple of absolute studs in the rising sophomore class. On paper 2025 should be Murphy's best squad in several years. As for 2024:

1) Swain
2) Robbinsville
3) Murphy/Hayesville
4) Hayesville/Murphy
5) Cherokee
6) Andrews
Are you referring to the rising sophomore class of this year (current 9th graders), or the rising sophomore class of 2025 (current 8th graders)?

Last edited:
Swain, Robbinsville, and Murphy will be solid as usual I’m sure. It is strange Hayesville going to Andrews twice and not playing Towns County. Looking at Hayesville scores from last year they played the Big 3 close (1 score game against them). Do they have a chance to make some noise or did they lose too much?
Towns County and Madison both chickened out this year. Glad Andrews stepped in to help out. Great job by Hayesville Coach having to scramble to replace 2 games on the schedule. One extra away game than normal is welcomed this season.

Hopefully looking forward to some major wins this season. 17 years since they beat Robbinsville. What a senior night that would be. 18 years since they beat Murphy. Is this the year?! 21 years since their last conference championship. Now that would be the cherry on top! Coming off back to back winning seasons for the first time in 2 decades, this group sure has a tremendous opportunity right in front of them.

Are you referring to the rising sophomore class of this year (current 9th graders), or the rising sophomore class of 2025 (current 8th graders)?
The rising sophomore class of this year, the current 9th graders. Clem and Pinkerton are difference makers and potential all state players down the road if they work hard. But yes the rising freshman class, current 8th graders has a difference maker too in Davis.

The 2025 team should be strong at most positions, one thing that sticks out and would concern me is the lack of a natural fullback in the ranks at the JV or varsity level. Vining would've been a great fit in the '25 backfield with Clem and Davis but he's obviously gone and I don't see a surefire good solution there now. Do you think Catuto can eventually play fullback? Maybe he's the answer down the road but not sure he'd be ready for that role on a team with title aspirations in '25.

Last edited:

1) Swain
2) Robbinsville
3) Murphy/Hayesville
4) Hayesville/Murphy
5) Cherokee
6) Andrews

Hayesville lost 4 seniors that will really hurt them. One was a K/DB, best kicker in conference, solid DB. Two others were lineman. One had good size and a ton of experience, 3 or 4 year starter. The other lineman had sat out a year but had comeback and was a good lineman The other was a RB/LB who lead the team in tackles for 4 years. Best LB in conference. Hard runner. If the Jackets can replace them they will be good. Their skill players are better, the key is the line. It was improved last year but didn't have much depth.

Reactions: mbdfan
The rising sophomore class of this year, the current 9th graders. Clem and Pinkerton are difference makers and potential all state players down the road if they work hard. But yes the rising freshman class, current 8th graders has a difference maker too in Davis.

The 2025 team should be strong at most positions, one thing that sticks out and would concern me is the lack of a natural fullback in the ranks at the JV or varsity level. Vining would've been a great fit in the '25 backfield with Clem and Davis but he's obviously gone and I don't see a surefire good solution there now. Do you think Catuto can eventually play fullback? Maybe he's the answer down the road but not sure he'd be ready for that role on a team with title aspirations in '25.
I figured you meant the current 9th graders. I was thinking Pinkerton but for the life of me couldn’t think who the other might be, but of course it’s Clem! Since he played so much this past year I completely forgot that he was only a Freshman. Losing my mind in my old age lol.

I’m a little concerned about FB too for 2025. I was hoping Brown would be the answer (excellent bloodlines), and he may still be. Time will tell on him. Catuto I think can be a good FB if he puts in the work. He’s big and stout and has decent speed. I may be wrong, but I look for him to play FB this year on the JV team. I’ll throw another JV name in there that could definitely be a good FB down the road if he can put on some more size, Kaden Curtis. He’s already the toughest and hardest hitting LB on the JV team ( He’s the hardest hitter on the team period! Totally fearless) and I hear he was a very good RB at the youth level. Keep an eye on him.

Maybe a FB by committee approach (Brown, Catuto, Curtis) could work until one separates himself from the rest,

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
Swain defense will be their bread and butter this coming season and I just don't see many team putting more then 1 or 2 TD on their defense, but can Swain score on offense is the big question mark this offseason. I'm hearing good think about RB Zeke Glaspie and during track season he was setting records.

1) Swain
2) Robbinsville
3) Murphy
4) Hayesville
5) Cherokee
6) Andrews

Reactions: SMCtalk
Until Swain can elevate their coaching they will continue to underachieve. Last season they had a real chance to make noise but were held back tremendously by terrible decision making on the sideline time and time again. I hope for the kids sake they can take the next step and execute to the same level their talent is on this season.

I don’t understand that. Correct me if I am wrong, Swain did play Robbinsville for the “conference championship” last regular season game correct? I know Robbinsville won. But if the pass would have worked Swains coach would have been a hero instead of “underachieving” Swain was not picked to win conference last year. Most had them at 3/4. I’m not even a Swain guy but lay off the Shermanator a little. I understand he had a chance to win the game in the playoffs and the regular season match up against the black knights. I’m sure he will get there eventually.

The problem was him going for it on 4th downs right?
As an outsider looking in, here are my theories. When the new coach was brought in he changed several schemes. In a tradition such as Swain has, that often ruffles feathers. When you make changes things generally get worse instead of better. This will often fan the flames of discontentment. With that being said, it seems as if the program is on an upswing.

Reactions: therealsquid
The problem was him going for it on 4th downs right?
Oh I don't think that was just the problem once. The guys up two scores. Actually I believe he was up to touchdowns right end of third quarter. Defense playing well. In his own territory. Goes forward on 4th down. Twice. That's a dumb shit move. We heard old Blankenship even said. Our coach made a dumbass move after that one. I could have it wrong but someone tell me if I do.

Reactions: Usdi Watali
Not sure you can put those losses on the coach..it had more to do with a kid by the name of Adams.....
Did you watch the game? If you want to it's on YouTube. Who goes for 4th down in your own territory twice in the fourth quarter when you're up by two scores. Who does that? Ask ole Neil he'll let you know. I'm surprised that dude hasn't been run out of town already. So yeah maroon smoke You can blame it on him. That's all coaching bad decisions.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Detroit lion coach that cost them the game against the 49ers this year in the playoffs

Reactions: Usdi Watali
I don’t understand that. Correct me if I am wrong, Swain did play Robbinsville for the “conference championship” last regular season game correct? I know Robbinsville won. But if the pass would have worked Swains coach would have been a hero instead of “underachieving” Swain was not picked to win conference last year. Most had them at 3/4. I’m not even a Swain guy but lay off the Shermanator a little. I understand he had a chance to win the game in the playoffs and the regular season match up against the black knights. I’m sure he will get there eventually.
I say underachieving because the talent has been there to do more than what they have in several years. Of course they weren't picked to do much in conference, the offense had been anemic at best and that is not for a lack of weapons. To be frank I don't care if the pass would have worked, it was a dumb decision to be passing on the 1 yd line when you had several downs to punch it in with the momentum on your side and the run game working. The passing game has not been good at all, there was no reason to even attempt it in such a crucial moment when it has been proven that it isn't viable. Until they get a kid who can actually sling it they shouldn't really be incorporating as many pass concepts as they have been trying to do.

As an outsider looking in, here are my theories. When the new coach was brought in he changed several schemes. In a tradition such as Swain has, that often ruffles feathers. When you make changes things generally get worse instead of better. This will often fan the flames of discontentment. With that being said, it seems as if the program is on an upswing.
For me it has nothing to do with tradition, it's about putting the kids in position to succeed. They have the weapons to run some of the schemes they were trying, but they haven't had a QB who could actually facilitate a passing offense in that time. Sure, the QB's have been good athletes but they have not been great throwers, which is where the issues have manifested. The only reason they had any success last year offensively was because they made some of the correct adjustments, which I will give credit, but they continued to make some of the same, basic mistakes as well (clock management, down management, play selection etc.) The only reason Rville was in the position they were in was because Swain got thoroughly outcoached when it mattered most and shot themselves in the foot repeatedly. I am hoping this year Sherman and crew will take the next step, I really do, I've nothing against the staff and it would be the best thing for the kids by far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT