ADVERTISEMENT

Simulated 4A tournament of champions

Lol, you are a smart man, its not the school its T. Knotts; Nice try you may get other fans with that one but not me, I been around this game to long. Go back and look at W. Charlotte track record even though they are a good program before Knotts arrival, go back and look at Independence before T. Knotts arrival better yet go back and check Harding and now Dutch Fork!

Point taken and I agree but Indy won a title from 2000-2007 while at WC he managed one plus a runner up between 1989-1999. WC was strong before Knotts got there but quite up to the same level as with him there.

Really my point was Richmond beat WC by 14 and 10 in 1998. Coaches that coached both 2003 Indy and WC 1998 would never compare those two teams just as you would consider 2003 very inferior to 1998 Richmond.

@Btango name one T. Knotts team that was Shutout, also if Green does not break his Ankle Richmond would have beat them by more than 10. Now I love T. Knotts to death; he is the best coach ever in N.C. Now if you would have said one of those Leak teams I would have probably agreed with you……. to a degree.
This post was edited on 2/24 8:01 PM by dcov33

@1) Austin Stewart - Texas Tech
2) Kris Frost - Auburn
3) Ozzy Sombo - Charleston Southern
4) Deion Walker - NC Tech
5) David Moore - Ball St
6) Tommy Hibbard - UNC
7) Riley Ferguson - Tennessee
8) Zach Ferguson - Lenoir-Rhyne
9) Mark Bridges - Coastal Carolina
10) Josh Glisson - W-S State
11) Malachi Hanes - Catawba
12) Jahwan Edwards - Ball St (all-time leading rusher)
13) Sean Wiggins - Ball St
14) Peter Kalambayi - Stanford
15) Stephen Amoah - Lenoir-Rhyne
16) Grant Polofsky - Davidson
17) Chad Garrett - Marshall
18) Uriah LeMay - Georgia
19) Channing Stribbling - Michigan
20) Colin Parsons - Citadel
21) Kam Billings - Limestone
22) Dominique Brewer - Ferrum
23) Nick Sansotta - Appalachian St
24) Joey Moody - Concord
25) Michael Boykin - Mars Hill
26) Spencer Kendall - Averett
27) Darren Dubose - Mars Hill

1997 Team
1. Brian Norwood UNC
2. Willie Quick UNC
3. Eric Davis UNC
4. Temus Terry University Tennessee at Chattanooga
5. Charles McNeil University Tennessee at Chattanooga
6. Vegas Jackson Winston Salem St. University (98)
7. Lang Harrison Winston Salem St. University (98)
8. Kevin Brown Winston Salem St. University
9. David Huey Catawba College
10. Hamilton Clark Gardner Webb
11. Adrian Clark Gardner Webb
12. Jason Ratliff Winston Salem St. University (98)
13. Aaron Sykes Liberty University (98)
14. Michael Waddell UNC (98)
15. Marcus Ellerbe NC State (98)
16. Eric Little D1 Recruit (Georgia Military Academy)
17. Darcy Davis (Juco) (98)
18. Elijah Everette Fayetteville St. University
19. Michael Green Catawaba College (99)
20. Von Smith D1 Recruit (Juco in Kansas) (99)
21. Randy Jones University of Virginia

***several more college players on that 97 squad went to play college ball just the ones I can remember; several went to Juco's.

The 97-99 Richmond Team, 02-07 Independence Team 09-12 Butler Team, now the 2011- Present and beyond Mallard Creek Team. A lot of D1 recruits on those teams and a lot of 4A titles.

From 97-Present it has only been 3 teams that has snuck in and stole the titles. 1999 AC Reynolds, 2007 New Bern Bears, and 2011 Greensboro Page.

Richmond 3 Titles
Independence 7 Titles
Butler 3 Titles
Mallard Creek 2 and counting I don't see anyone beating them for the next 2 seasons and God forbid if they start to get that Itch Gene, Go ask Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Tommy Knotts about that.

Thats 15 titles with only 4 teams in a span of 18 years

Don't forget a young Issac Stewart (LB) was on that Butler Squad Louisville University, man thats to too much fire power……….

Originally posted by dcov33:
Don't forget a young Issac Stewart (LB) was on that Butler Squad Louisville University, man thats to too much fire power……….
Stewart was on the freshman team that season, so I didn't include him.

When all is said and done, Mallard Creek 2013 will rival anything this state has ever produced as far as future college players go. That team was STACKED.

The early Indy teams, several Richmond teams over the years, several Butler squads from the mid 2000s to early 2010s...these are some serious heavyweight football teams.

But as loaded as the 2010-2012 Butler D was, the 2007 Butler D might have been the most loaded out of all of them. R.J. Blanton (Notre Dame -> Minnesota Vikings), Eddie Whitley (Va Tech -> Arizona Cardinals), Hiawatha Bell (UNC), Spencer Adams (all-American at Clemson in track). Where the 2007 Butler squad comes up short is everywhere else. They didn't have the firepower on offense to compliment the defense like the later squads did, but the defense had maybe the best secondary (2 future NFL'ers) in state history.

This post was edited on 2/24 9:58 PM by hokiemtc

The 2006 team had all those kids in the secondary, plus they had Ryan Houston at RB (UNC), who was the all-time rushing leader in Meck coutny until Elijah Hood broke it. They also had Jarret Boykin at WR (VTECH >>> GB Packers), and QB Jacob Charest (illinois). The problem with the 2006 team was that they had to face a Knotts coached indy team.

2010 was the deepest butler team ever, but 2012 had the most top shelf talent out of all the butler team. The 2012 team is the closest thing we have ever seen to 2004 indy I believe. 2013 MC is more closer to 2010 butler, and those 2 teams aren't on the level of 2012 butler.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:

Originally posted by dcov33:
Stewart was on the freshman team that season, so I didn't include him.

When all is said and done, Mallard Creek 2013 will rival anything this state has ever produced as far as future college players go. That team was STACKED.

The early Indy teams, several Richmond teams over the years, several Butler squads from the mid 2000s to early 2010s...these are some serious heavyweight football teams.

But as loaded as the 2010-2012 Butler D was, the 2007 Butler D might have been the most loaded out of all of them. R.J. Blanton (Notre Dame -> Minnesota Vikings), Eddie Whitley (Va Tech -> Arizona Cardinals), Hiawatha Bell (UNC), Spencer Adams (all-American at Clemson in track). Where the 2007 Butler squad comes up short is everywhere else. They didn't have the firepower on offense to compliment the defense like the later squads did, but the defense had maybe the best secondary (2 future NFL'ers) in state history.

This post was edited on 2/24 9:58 PM by hokiemtc
I think in the end it may be the 2011 Mallard Creek team that goes down as the most talent. It is not out of the realm of possibility that 2 first round draft picks could come from that team in DJ Humphries and Marquez North. I don't think we have heard the last of Jela Duncan and Brian Walker may have a shot as well. Add to that Jaylen Samuels who played some in garbage time and Cameron Mattison and that has a outside shot at 6 NFLers.

Speaking of DJ http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/24/nfl-all-combine-team-2015-jameis-winston-kevin-white-dante-fowler?xid=si_topstories

One thing to keep in mind is the 2010 Butler team played a better schedule than the 2012 Butler team. They played Richmond County twice, played a good Mt. Tabor team, Hibriten which was a really good 3AA team, they beat a very good Page team that went on to win the title the next year. SW4A was a bit down but had some solid teams. Other than Mallard Creek and East Forsyth, Butler played some weaker teams in my opinion. I think if Butler of 2010 played that schedule they would have better numbers than the 2012 version.

Originally posted by mpj2k8:
One thing to keep in mind is the 2010 Butler team played a better schedule than the 2012 Butler team. They played Richmond County twice, played a good Mt. Tabor team, Hibriten which was a really good 3AA team, they beat a very good Page team that went on to win the title the next year. SW4A was a bit down but had some solid teams. Other than Mallard Creek and East Forsyth, Butler played some weaker teams in my opinion. I think if Butler of 2010 played that schedule they would have better numbers than the 2012 version.
2010 was the first year of redistricting so Butler played first year Rocky River, a decimated Indy, and probably the school that got the worst of that situation East Meck. Outscored them 183-6.

1995 West Charlotte and 2008 West Charlotte are missing from this thread. They had some tough teams those years.

Originally posted by Chopper747:
1995 West Charlotte and 2008 West Charlotte are missing from this thread. They had some tough teams those years.
2008 was not very good. 2007 was loaded but lost to Indy in the semi-final and forfeited all of their wins.

1995 won a title but many consider it to be the third or fourth best Knotts WC team.

Originally posted by Wiseman83:
The 2006 team had all those kids in the secondary, plus they had Ryan Houston at RB (UNC), who was the all-time rushing leader in Meck coutny until Elijah Hood broke it. They also had Jarret Boykin at WR (VTECH >>> GB Packers), and QB Jacob Charest (illinois). The problem with the 2006 team was that they had to face a Knotts coached indy team.

2010 was the deepest butler team ever, but 2012 had the most top shelf talent out of all the butler team. The 2012 team is the closest thing we have ever seen to 2004 indy I believe. 2013 MC is more closer to 2010 butler, and those 2 teams aren't on the level of 2012 butler.
Where is Ryan Houston now? Dont' know much about him after Carolina

Originally posted by btango:

2008 was not very good. 2007 was loaded but lost to Indy in the semi-final and forfeited all of their wins.

1995 won a title but many consider it to be the third or fourth best Knotts WC team.
I mixed up 2007 with 2008

Their QB and receivers were flawless. The running back(forgot his name) that left to go to Indy should have stayed there in 2008. They had a good shot at winning 4AA(save for the forfeit)

They had a pretty good team in the 90's with Brian Knuckles, but correct me if I'm wrong they lost to
Southview, and I think in 93 they lost to Northern Durham.

This post was edited on 3/3 2:25 PM by Chopper747

Their QB and receivers were flawless. The running back(forgot his name) that left to go to Indy should have stayed there in 2008. They had a good shot at winning 4AA(save for the forfeit)

They had a pretty good team in the 90's with Brian Knuckles, but correct me if I'm wrong they lost to

Rod Chisholm was a senior at Indy in 2007 which was probably one of the two worst O line Indy had in the run. Better off at WC I am not sure as they moved to more of a passing attack with their all state QB.

1991 was a very good team but ran into a hot South View and played the fourth game of the weekend on a field that had been soaked that week. They lost in the trenches that night. Knuckles was an awesome running back, one of the better ones I have seen.

The 1993 Northern Durham team is one of the best from this state. That was the best ever Northern Durham team that pounded WC in the second half after losing on a Hail Mary type throw to East Forsyth the previous year in the title game. How good then is that team. Consider that 1988 lost by three in the third round to Richmond and by three in the semi-final to Garner in 1987, both undefeated state champions.

Rod Chisholm was a senior at Indy in 2007 which was probably one of the two worst O line Indy had in the run. Better off at WC I am not sure as they moved to more of a passing attack with their all state QB.

1991 was a very good team but ran into a hot South View and played the fourth game of the weekend on a field that had been soaked that week. They lost in the trenches that night. Knuckles was an awesome running back, one of the better ones I have seen.

The 1993 Northern Durham team is one of the best from this state. That was the best ever Northern Durham team that pounded WC in the second half after losing on a Hail Mary type throw to East Forsyth the previous year in the title game. How good then is that team. Consider that 1988 lost by three in the third round to Richmond and by three in the semi-final to Garner in 1987, both undefeated state champions.
I guess Chisolm would have benefit WC moreso than WC would benefit Chisolm in that regard. For a long time it seemed WC was always the bridesmaid until 95 much like Douglas Byrd( who to me only made it so many times due to
lack of passing teams out east) in the 90s, I guess something had to give with the both of them having similar outcomes every
title game respectively.

Page 2011 would beat 2008 71st pretty handley. If i remember, 71st ran a power-I that year (2008, Page actually lost to 71st in the 3rd round that year) and ran 95% of the time. Page's defense was especially gifted that year (2011, with guys like Workinger, Britt, Hickman) and would have held that running game in check, much like they did to Mallard Creek, Northern Guilford, and other great running teams that year.

I'd say Page wins that one 41-13, James Summers and Co. were a different beast that year.

Page definitely did not stop the run game against MC. It was the opposite. Page could not stop the run game. Coach Brand started throwing the ball, which played right into Page game plan. 3 and out. Horrible play calling by MC's OC. Page coaching staff was happy MC stop running the ball.

I remember MC's running back got stymied for most of the game. He has one of his lowest rushing totals of the year against Page if im not mistaken.

Either way, Page would beat 2008 71st pretty good.

Duncan & Harbison both had over a 100yds rushing. They won, but it was not because they were stopping the run. Page would have beat anybody that night.
smile.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT