ADVERTISEMENT

SimmonsRatings Playoff Bracket Projections

Simmons looks like Farmville Central would get in at 6-4 if they beat N.Johnston. If North Johnston wins then Washington would be out.

Last edited:
I still don't get how Lexington has a higher seed than Thomasville. Same overall record. Thomasville finished higher in conference and beat Lexington. Won't matter in the end, but makes no sense to me.

Reactions: 23Wolf
I still don't get how Lexington has a higher seed than Thomasville. Same overall record. Thomasville finished higher in conference and beat Lexington. Won't matter in the end, but makes no sense to me.
I agree OC, I have Carver at #6, Thomasville #7, and Lexington at #8. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

yes head to head comes before maxpreps. I imagine that will change

It might be where the maxpreps rating comes into play
Naw on Maxpreps Thomasville is 239 while Lexington is 248.

On a more personal note the all knowing final say so Maxpreps has Eastern Randolph at 207 and the same record Randleman Tigers( who lost to ER and also finished a full game behind them in conference) at 172.

Don't like computers deciding which team is seeded where. I know ER/Randleman will be in different classifications but still ain't right.

Naw on Maxpreps Thomasville is 239 while Lexington is 248.

On a more personal note the all knowing final say so Maxpreps has Eastern Randolph at 207 and the same record Randleman Tigers( who lost to ER and also finished a full game behind them in conference) at 172.

Don't like computers deciding which team is seeded where. I know ER/Randleman will be in different classifications but still ain't right.
If they were in same class, it would be decided by head to head, not a computer.

Yeah I know but if you have teams with comparable schedules (ER 2 3As, 2 1As one of which was E Montgomery, rest 2A, 5 probable playoff teams, Randleman 2 3As, 1 NCISAA, rest 2A 5 probable playoff teams 6 counting NCISAA team) and one beats other head to head how can the loser of said game be ranked 35 spots higher?

Again does not matter but I love numbers and statistics and when they do not add up drives me nuts.

I posted a thread yesterday with the seeding process.

Sorry for being confused.

But the way I read it. West Lincoln should be seeded higher based on head to head. Non conference schedule (11 game) record would only be used if there was no head to head.

Is that right?

I think because there are multiple teams 5-5 (2-5) and they didn't all play each other, head to head is thrown out of the equation.

I think because there are multiple teams 5-5 (2-5) and they didn't all play each other, head to head is thrown out of the equation.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Then why even have the part about head to head if it isn't going to be used when there a multiple teams. Can't just throw out parts of the rules because it gets complicated.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Then why even have the part about head to head if it isn't going to be used when there a multiple teams. Can't just throw out parts of the rules because it gets complicated.

This is what Sportsnut posted on another thread:

4.1.17 Playoff Berths/Qualification:

(a) All teams that finish first (1st) in the conference regular season or are the conference tournament champions, automatically qualify. In a split conference a team must finish 1st in their part of the split or be the conference tournament champion to automatically qualify.

(1) Split conferences cannot have separate tournaments, and the regular season conference champion must participate in the conference tournament.

(b) All other teams qualify based upon the best 22-game record (10-game, Football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse) from the non-automatic qualifiers in a classification.

(c) All classifications will field a full complement of 64 teams with the exception of Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse.

(d) If ties exist for the final at-large berth(s) qualifiers, they will be broken by:

(1) All Head-to-Head Competition:
(i) The non-conference game(s) that are dropped for seeding purposes may still be used in breaking a tie

(2) Conference Winning Percentage

(3) Draw

4.1.18 Seeding:

(a) Once the qualifying teams are determined, they will be divided into four (4) groups, (i.e. East, Mideast, Midwest, West) based upon the longitude of each school.

(b) Seed all first place, regular season conference champions by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse) followed by;

(c) Conference tournament champions by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse), followed by;

(d) All other qualifying teams by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse)

(1) All ties for seeding in (a), (b) or (c) will be broken by:

(i) All Head-to-Head Competition Note: The non-conference game(s) that are dropped for seeding purposes may still be used in breaking a tie. Note: All teams involved in the tie must have played each other.

(ii) 24-game record (11-game, Football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse)

(iii) MaxPreps Ranking (last available ranking at the time of the seeding) (iv) Draw

Hope this helps clear up your questions.

How could Thomasville be an MW 8 when they have the same record as Lexington 5-5, beat Lexington and finished 3rd 3-2 in (conf) vs. Lexington 4th and 2-3. I think Lexington gets the MW8 and fed to the Wolves and Tville gets the MW6 or MW7 and plays Hendo or Brevard.

Thoughts?

How could Thomasville be an MW 8 when they have the same record as Lexington 5-5, beat Lexington and finished 3rd 3-2 in (conf) vs. Lexington 4th and 2-3. I think Lexington gets the MW8 and fed to the Wolves and Tville gets the MW6 or MW7 and plays Hendo or Brevard.

Thoughts?

Lexington, Carver and Thomasville are all 5-5 for playoff purposes. According to the seeding rules, for head to head to matter they all must have played each other. They didn't so you look at the overall record including the 11th game played. Carver and Thomasville both lost their 11th game so that drops their winning percentage (making Lexington the higher ranked in the playoffs). The next thing to look at because Carver and Thomasville are both 5-6 would be Maxpreps ranking, which has carver at 170 (in the state) and Thomasville at 239 (in the state).

Lexington, Carver and Thomasville are all 5-5 for playoff purposes. According to the seeding rules, for head to head to matter they all must have played each other. They didn't so you look at the overall record including the 11th game played. Carver and Thomasville both lost their 11th game so that drops their winning percentage (making Lexington the higher ranked in the playoffs). The next thing to look at because Carver and Thomasville are both 5-6 would be Maxpreps ranking, which has carver at 170 (in the state) and Thomasville at 239 (in the state).

Lexington only played 10 games so how does that change things?

I don't think it does. Their winning percentage would be 50% while the others would be 45.45%.

Agreed, the days of scheduling tough early to be ready for league play may be gone for many teams. If winning non-conference is so important now then coaches will be looking for wins.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
All teams can only count a 10 game schedule, they can throw out a N/C loss.

Agreed, the days of scheduling tough early to be ready for league play may be gone for many teams. If winning non-conference is so important now then coaches will be looking for wins.

Not trying to be a jerk because I have a boy on team who played baseball for me but if the NCHSAA keeps this format South Davidson AD's phone will be ringing off the hook!!

Or for you people born after 1985 his voicemail will be full.

Reactions: Wow71
There's no logical way that Lexington should be seeded ahead of Thomasville. Thomasville beat them head to head. Had the same overall ten game record, and finished two spots ahead of them in the conference. But that's par for the course for the state. If there's a bright side, we'll travel an hour less each way to absorb our butt kicking than Lexington will for theirs.

footballstar_17 has my line of thinking on the Thomasville-Lexington-Carver situation.

Regarding the Northeastern-Coastal, somebody had to be #1 for purposes of doing a bracket. I picked NE, but Edenton or Hertford Co. could also be #1 in drawing.

Regarding the Eastern Plains, I have FC losing to NoJo and being out. If FC wins then FC is in. Winner of SWE-Wash is in as a #1 seed because they will be AA(probably). Loser is out. If NoJo wins they would also get #1 because they will be A.

Everything looks good otherwise. Just got Thomasville and Lexington in the wrong places. Did I read that right at nchsaa.org that the playoffs start next Friday on the 18th?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT