ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages this week

Robbinsville can't keep the footing.

SM starting O had 2 possessions while Robbinsville had 1 possession with starters and 1 backup possession.
Not sure why.
Im just happy to be watching football.

25-12 Robbinsville entire game.
Game format 19-00 Robbinsville
Game format starters 06-00 RVille

Last edited:
How did the murphy tc game go?
Was a really really good scrimmage. Would love to see these two in a real game. Murphy is a top 5, great 1A team. Roberson a very good 3A team. Roberson QB and WR are very very good. Unfortunately a very talente kid in Elliot (RB) got hurt early. Hope he’s ok he’s a player. TCR missed on at least 3 tds deep. They have a fr that is a DeShauteurs that is going to be a player. I would wager related somehow to the others we all know about.

Murphy, huge up front and just a machine when they get it going. Strong up front run defense. QB has a very strong arm and is capable. When they got it cranked up offensively they were almost unstoppable. Put the ball on the ground early but cleaned it up.
Very impressive performance by both teams in the cold. Well coached and got after it. Was fun to watch

TCR definitely gashed Murphy some in the passing game but #1 TCR has a potent offense that should put up a lot of points, #2 runs an offense Murphy does not or will not see much of unless it's in the playoffs and #3 TCR has a level of speed and athletes that Murphy won't see again until the playoffs.

Murphy lost starting corner D. Smith before season even got going and that hurt them. The safety spot opposite McCracken looked shaky but hopefully I. Smith can be solid there once he knocks the rust off, first game action since 2017. Rumfelt is definitely an option in the secondary if they need him, he's real good there. I think the secondary will be ok in the long run. Murphy had two I think 10th graders at OLB and it showed, both kids have ability but they are going to have to grow up fast.

Murphy o-line really impressed me, especially when you consider they have three 10th graders playing. Also thought Rumfelt looked much more comfortable at QB than he ever did last year, some nice throws and a couple good runs, really think he's going to take the next step this year. McCracken looked good at WR and once basketball is over Abling will be out there too, so Rumfelt will have weapons to throw to. As for the running game I thought Rathburn and Wood both had good moments for sure and also thought Aguilar looked solid in reserve. Wingback was a question mark though, hopefully they can find someone to consistently get the job done there, but I think they have the personnel to figure something out.

Cant read too much into a scrimmage but the good outweighed the bad and apart from a handful of positions I think the pieces are pretty well in place already, and they have enough talent available to figure out the ones that arent. Should be a team that competes for a conference and state title as long as they stay healthy.

Last edited:
TCR definitely gashed Murphy some in the passing game but #1 TCR has a potent offense that should put up a lot of points, #2 runs an offense Murphy does not or will not see much of unless it's in the playoffs and #3 TCR has a level of speed and athletes that Murphy won't see again until the playoffs.

Murphy lost starting corner D. Smith before season even got going and that hurt them. The safety spot opposite McCracken looked shaky but hopefully I. Smith can be solid there once he knocks the rust off, first game action since 2017. Rumfelt is definitely an option in the secondary if they need him, he's real good there. I think the secondary will be ok in the long run. Murphy had two I think 10th graders at OLB and it showed, both kids have ability but they are going to have to grow up fast.

Murphy o-line really impressed me, especially when you consider they have three 10th graders playing. Also thought Rumfelt looked much more comfortable back there than he ever did last year, some nice throws and a couple good runs, really think he's going to take the next step this year. McCracken looked good at WR and once basketball is over Abling will be out there too, so Rumfelt will have weapons to throw to. As for the running game I thought Rathburn and Wood both had good moments for sure and also thought Aguilar looked solid in reserve. Wingback was a question mark though, hopefully they can find someone to consistently get the job done there, but I think they have the personnel to figure something out.

Cant read too much into a scrimmage but the good outweighed the bad and apart from a handful of positions I think the pieces are pretty well in place already, and they have enough talent available to figure out the ones that arent. Should be a team that competes for a conference and state title as long as they stay healthy.
Definitely will compete for both. Going to take a great team and effort to beat what I saw today. And I know it was just a scrimmage, but it was against a very good opponent and neither team looked like it was rusty. It’s obvious both staffs have been working with these kids for a while and that they are prepared

Murphy o-line really impressed me, especially when you consider they have three 10th graders playing. Also thought Rumfelt looked much more comfortable at QB than he ever did last year, some nice throws and a couple good runs, really think he's going to take the next step this year. McCracken looked good at WR and once basketball is over Abling will be out there too, so Rumfelt will have weapons to throw to. As for the running game I thought Rathburn and Wood both had good moments for sure and also thought Aguilar looked solid in reserve. Wingback was a question mark though, hopefully they can find someone to consistently get the job done there, but I think they have the personnel to figure something out.

Just curious Mbdfan, who is the playoff team you speak of that has all these athletes and speed?

Tarboro only one that I can see. McDay might be the best wr in the state. TCR has some serious skill.
McDay skill level is higher than the D2 school he signed with for sure. He is at least an FCS level wideout, super surprised Western wasnt all over him.

McDay skill level is higher than the D2 school he signed with for sure. He is at least an FCS level wideout, super surprised Western wasnt all over him.
Yeah I can’t figure this one out. Grade issues that you know about? Just makes no sense

Definitely will compete for both. Going to take a great team and effort to beat what I saw today. And I know it was just a scrimmage, but it was against a very good opponent and neither team looked like it was rusty. It’s obvious both staffs have been working with these kids for a while and that they are prepared

I didn’t think Murphy played great but they weren’t bad either. Two bright spots were QB play and run defense. QB has improved greatly since last year, looked good. Very few TCR runs made it past the line of scrimmage. I thought there was a lot of rust everywhere else. To me it was a really good practice for them, probably the best practice they’ve had at getting a real live look. I’m in wait and see mode. Still a lot of ball left to be played.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Watched the Rville scrimmage on TV.
Lots of different players on the field. Pretty rusty at times when there was such a mix on the field. When all 11 starters were out there things clicked pretty well. Hooper done some of his magic with a td run . Collins with a awesome run of about 25 yds for a Td. 2 freshman with 40 and 50 yd Tds. Looked like we outscored Smoky 4-0 In live game situation. Playbook was pretty basic yesterday . Ran a lot of the same plays over and over to get timing right for new center I imagine.
Mercy at our fullback. BIG, tuff,strong, great blocker. I'm guessing 6' 225 lbs. Senior. He really made the difference in the state championship last year. Excellent runs yesterday.
No questions about our O and D lines. Superb. Bigger than last year.
2 starting linebackers returning. Gotta get the other 2 figured out. They struggled. As usual with a Robbinsville team my biggest concern is always our secondary. 1 returning starter back there. Come April, we should be deep in the mix .

Lots of different players on the field. Pretty rusty at times when there was such a mix on the field. When all 11 starters were out there things clicked pretty well. Hooper done some of his magic with a td run . Collins with a awesome run of about 25 yds for a Td. 2 freshman with 40 and 50 yd Tds. Looked like we outscored Smoky 4-0 In live game situation. Playbook was pretty basic yesterday . Ran a lot of the same plays over and over to get timing right for new center I imagine.
Mercy at our fullback. BIG, tuff,strong, great blocker. I'm guessing 6' 225 lbs. Senior. He really made the difference in the state championship last year. Excellent runs yesterday.
2 starting linebackers returning. Gotta get the other 2 figured out. They struggled. As usual with a Robbinsville team my biggest concern is always our secondary. 1 returning starter back there. Come April, we should be deep in the mix .

I watched robbinsville’s scrimmage yesterday. The first offense looked good. Williams is very tough and is good at what they’re asking him to do. Hooper looks fast. QB seemed to struggle with his passes but he’s got plenty of time to knock the rust off in the next few weeks. I thought rvills pass coverage looked about like Murphy’s, not very good right now. Robbinsville seemed to be very physical. Tough game for Rosman out of the gate.

The QB struggling with all the passes was our back up
Collins threw a td pass and maybe a couple more passes that were 1st downs. Williams only had 1 rush I think. On the other hand ,Adams(freshman) probably had at least 10 touches

I didn’t think Murphy played great but they weren’t bad either. Two bright spots were QB play and run defense. QB has improved greatly since last year, looked good. Very few TCR runs made it past the line of scrimmage. I thought there was a lot of rust everywhere else. To me it was a really good practice for them, probably the best practice they’ve had at getting a real live look. I’m in wait and see mode. Still a lot of ball left to be played.
Fair assessment but surprised you didnt include the o-line in your brights spots Biscuit, they looked strong from my eye. The run defense is wait and see for me, they did look good but TCR isnt exactly geared towards to having a strong running game.

Last edited:
Fair assessment but surprised you didnt include the o-line in your brights spots Biscuit, they looked strong from my eye. The run defense is wait and see for me, they did look good but TCR isnt exactly geared towards to having a strong running game.

To be honest the line has come together nicely. The group of sophomores have really grown, they are huge. There will be some growing pains with that group for awhile. Should be a lot of progression from last week to this week after the scrimmage.

To be fair to the pass defense, TCR is a pass heavy team that has the athletes to be good at it.

Reactions: mbdfan

FB is 6-1 230 according to Maxpreps. He had a 30 yr run also.

To be honest the line has come together nicely. The group of sophomores have really grown, they are huge. There will be some growing pains with that group for awhile. Should be a lot of progression from last week to this week after the scrimmage.

To be fair to the pass defense, TCR is a pass heavy team that has the athletes to be good at it.
Pass D is probably biggest question mark at this point, the safety play opposite #3 was poor, I'd give #2 or #11 some time to prove their self, especially #2 given how long it's been since he played, but if it doesnt look like it's working out I feel like they'll either have to move #21 over from corner or play #12 both ways.

As for the offense I still have a lot of questions about the wingback position, I'm sure they'll figure something out though, they have a few different options there with #21, #4 and #25.

Last edited:
North Surry @ Mount Airy Saturday 6 PM NO SPECTATORS ALLOWED
I haven't seen anything on Twitter or Facebook on how this game went. I did watch it on Youtube but couldn't tell much about what was going on. I think Mt.Airy scored 3 times and missed 1 extra point. They never zoomed in on any plays. I didn't see North Surry score but I could have missed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT