ADVERTISEMENT

Salisbury looking for a new football coach

Heard that he may have a bigger job opportunity coming in Rowan co but not as a coach but still within athletics

Reactions: WASSUP54
Wow. I sure didn’t see this one coming. Be interesting to see who gets the job.

Any news on the new coach.
According to their job posting the new head coach needs to be certified in Math, History, EC-resource, or ESOL to get a teaching position.

In my opinion, that is going to severely limit the candidate pool and shows a lack of commitment to building a successful program.

According to their job posting the new head coach needs to be certified in Math, History, EC-resource, or ESOL to get a teaching position.

In my opinion, that is going to severely limit the candidate pool and shows a lack of commitment to building a successful program.

So should they fire a PE teacher to hire a new football coach?

There are several great coaches in the state that teach subjects other than PE.

So should they fire a PE teacher to hire a new football coach?

There are several great coaches in the state that teach subjects other than PE.
I never said fire anyone. Lots of schools hire the best football coach they can find and then adjust teaching schedules based on who they hire.

Hard to adjust if you don't have a position. Last thing you want to do is hire a PE teacher and not have a PE position come open then fire someone or move someone. Granted that happens. They'll have plenty of candiates and plenty that teach available subjects.

Hard to adjust if you don't have a position. Last thing you want to do is hire a PE teacher and not have a PE position come open then fire someone or move someone. Granted that happens. They'll have plenty of candiates and plenty that teach available subjects.
I think that's a true statement however it's a statement that will roll on down the line if you don't have a confident pe our strength and conditioning coach doing physical education. So let's say they hire someone who's not with the kids in weightlifting and conditioning. Next three or four years it'll be okay. But eventually discipline will fade. So will kids getting stronger and faster. Which happens a lot during the school year when they lift weights and run. And that community I'm pretty sure that's what they're used to. I could be wrong maybe that guy was a math teacher that was there before. But he probably had somebody really good doing physical education. That's where it starts. It's not just the practices. And the summer condition. It's the whole year long. And it helps all athletic programs. So yeah you do fire or you do reassign a PE teacher if they're not the dude to get people stronger and faster. Say what you want. But that's what it's about. Especially in a school like that where football probably supports everything they have as far as athletics go. This wussy mentality needs to get out of the way..

Fire and reassigning is ok as long as it doesn't impact you right? That is the mentality that has to stop. Would you be ok with them cutting a PE position to hire a teacher to decrease class size for a tested subject?

Teaching is bad enough right now thanks to our state. The last thing you want to do is fire someone in a teaching postion that does what is expected in that position, which is teach.

I'm sure Salisbury will have someone or has someone that does a fine job running the weight room.

Reactions: ocdavis31
Fire and reassigning is ok as long as it doesn't impact you right? That is the mentality that has to stop. Would you be ok with them cutting a PE position to hire a teacher to decrease class size for a tested subject?

Teaching is bad enough right now thanks to our state. The last thing you want to do is fire someone in a teaching postion that does what is expected in that position, which is teach.

I'm sure Salisbury will have someone or has someone that does a fine job running the weight room.
Tail wagging the dog, Thunder. Let’s have artificial turf, Jumbotrons, and four sets of cool uniforms. And all conference running backs selling drugs when they’re nineteen. But the fans are happy.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Tail wagging the dog, Thunder. Let’s have artificial turf, Jumbotrons, and four sets of cool uniforms. And all conference running backs selling drugs when they’re nineteen. But the fans are happy.
Sounds about right.

That's right. Let's have 4 coaches running weight training too. Cut 3 math teachers. 2 can manage with class sizes of 50 kids. Cut some cafeteria staff too.

That's right. Let's have 4 coaches running weight training too. Cut 3 math teachers. 2 can manage with class sizes of 50 kids. Cut some cafeteria staff too.
You guys are the ones that are complaining about football. Are talking about how they need to do this and that. If you really want a good program which is what you've been getting. That's what it's all about. Your idealistic views don't mean shit. You want a good football program you have a head coach who's a weight trainer. Or you have somebody down there that's good. Not somebody that's going to let them sit out. But somebody that's going to bust their ass and make them do it. And yeah I do think that's what you do if you need it get a head coach and the only teachers PE then guess what that's the job he gets. Plenty of programs have history teachers and math teachers that are head coaches. And they ain't winning nothing. Football drives all the athletic budgets. So we should get the most leeway. Point blank. If you think it's about something else then go ahead. Lose three or four games a year keep doing it.

Football or any sport should never get any leeway over the classroom. With a little research I'm sure there are plenty of football coaches that have done extremely well not being PE teachers.

Hinson is staying on as a teacher and AD it looks like so I'm sure he's had the weight room and will keep the weight room.

As far as coaches with success not in PE.

Kelly Holder is a math teacher and was when he was the head man at Mount Airy.

Todd Willert isn't a PE teacher either.

I'm sure there are plenty more.

Football or any sport should never get any leeway over the classroom. With a little research I'm sure there are plenty of football coaches that have done extremely well not being PE teachers.

Hinson is staying on as a teacher and AD it looks like so I'm sure he's had the weight room and will keep the weight room.

I don't think the previous coach at Chambers was a teacher at all. I think he was in ISS or some other assistant role. The Head Coach at Monroe isn't a PE teacher either. There are plenty of incredible Head Coaches throughout the state that aren't PE Teachers, but unfortunately that is the stigma that is associated with coaching football and being successful.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Its ok to not understand how things work in an area or subject, but if you dont know but want to always talk about the subject like you DO know about it only makes you look stupid.

Unfortunately, that is the reality of how it is, right or wrong, good or bad. Athletics as a whole depend on football. How much revenue would Salisbury or Mt. Airy for that matter lose if football went in the toilet. West Caldwell is a prime example of what happens when football struggles for years. Football in my opinion, deserves a little lead way with hiring, you don't train football players the way you do girls soccer. Most places will at least create 1 class for football weights at minimum for an incoming coach. On top of that, when was the last time you saw a track coach or a tennis coach fired for failing to win. Football is King of if you don't perform you are out, regardless of how awesome your young men are in the community or the classroom. That is why you cannot treat them all as equals.

Unfortunately, that is the reality of how it is, right or wrong, good or bad. Athletics as a whole depend on football. How much revenue would Salisbury or Mt. Airy for that matter lose if football went in the toilet. West Caldwell is a prime example of what happens when football struggles for years. Football in my opinion, deserves a little lead way with hiring, you don't train football players the way you do girls soccer. Most places will at least create 1 class for football weights at minimum for an incoming coach. On top of that, when was the last time you saw a track coach or a tennis coach fired for failing to win. Football is King of if you don't perform you are out, regardless of how awesome your young men are in the community or the classroom. That is why you cannot treat them all as equals.
Well said. The Smoky mountain conference doesn't think the way some of these guys think. They put it first cuz they know what matters. Only here haysville talking about basketball. Look how good they are. And it's not really unfortunate football is probably the one sport maybe other than wrestling that teaches kids how to be tough in the workplace and other places. Not saying that it's the same everywhere. I understand teachers do a great job for that but there are people that need to be one way and people that need to be the other. I don't think the football team is always putting out bankers. Of which I am one ha. However it instills toughness and kids. And let's them understand that toughness matters. Regardless very well said on your part.

I don't think the previous coach at Chambers was a teacher at all. I think he was in ISS or some other assistant role. The Head Coach at Monroe isn't a PE teacher either. There are plenty of incredible Head Coaches throughout the state that aren't PE Teachers, but unfortunately that is the stigma that is associated with coaching football and being successful.
HC at Monroe is over discipline and acts as an additional administrator. He doesn’t have it easy at Monroe, trust me.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
HC at Monroe is over discipline and acts as an additional administrator. He doesn’t have it easy at Monroe, trust me.
Oh, I know. I work in Union County, I was just using it as an example of successful coaches that aren't PE teachers. I have had many conversations over the years with Coach Sowell, and have the utmost respect for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT