ADVERTISEMENT

RPIs are out but wrong

Man I tried. Watching NFL and got lost somewhere in that math/figuring…
What it comes down to me is the NCHSAA has decided on a formula to use and like always not everyone will be happy with how things shake out.
It’s all good though.
Good luck to Starmount.
I really mean that.
Thank You! Good luck to y'all as well!!

Reactions: thekidd12
You dang right the burdens on them to beat us whether at Big Oaks or Wallace Shelton if we was to win up there you talking about chest pumping BK becareful what you wish for

Once again you comment makes zero sense.
What did I wish for? As you stated.

In RPI correct. I am talking overall seeding. I don't think a #2 from a conference can have home field or a higher seed in the playoffs over a conference #1? Just trying to figure that out. Cannot remember how that shook out last season.

At this point I see the #1-#5 being something like this. In no particular order. MA, SMC Champ, ER, Thomasville, WHC Champ. All others would be #2's and seeded after conference #1's. Thus making the RPI for a 9-1 #2 seed lower than an 8-2 #1.

Correct a #2 cannot be above a #1.
9-1 Robbinsville would be a #1 seed and smc champ.

Once again you comment makes zero sense.
What did I wish for? As you stated.
I'm saying you would love to get us up there on 6 hour bus ride and beat us I'm saying we could probably take the ride and still beat Robbinsville at Big Oaks

MaxPreps, Simmons and Massy is SOS and all those are computers.
All I know is the RPI will have Starmount and Rabun Gap equal because of record

MaxPreps, Simmons and Massy is SOS and all those are computers.
All I know is the RPI will have Starmount and Rabun Gap equal because of record
Simmons is a guy ain’t it? Maxpreps is part of that super secret sauce formula nobody knows anything about. I don’t know anything about Massy.

On a side note, when do you sleep? You posted at 2AM and then 5:45AM. Lay down man!!!

Anything that uses SOS
The two components of SOS is OWP & OOWP that's it. It's just what equation you put them in. NCAA's is....
2(owp) + oowp/3
The NC RPI's is...
.40(owp) + .30(oowp)
Maxpreps unknown
But whatever the equation use is subjective there's not perfect formal but I've noticed in the pass that they're usually all pretty close.
Like in the case of Mt Airy & Rville in all three above Rville has the stronger sos.

Simmons is a guy ain’t it? Maxpreps is part of that super secret sauce formula nobody knows anything about. I don’t know anything about Massy.

On a side note, when do you sleep? You posted at 2AM and then 5:45AM. Lay down man!!!

Yes he's a guy that uses a computer to generate the picks. At least that's what I've always thought.

Reactions: thekidd12

He doesn't explain how he calculates his sos but he does his predictions and spread by using his power rates.
Example (this will change somewhat because I'm using his last week's PR)
So with last week's PR he would have Rabun GA beating Rville by 25 points. But you can look at last week's predictions and see that even if he gets the winning team correct he's spread can way off.
My question is how he comes to his sos because for example he had Starmount ranked #17 in all 1A and a sos of 47 while Mitchell has a sos of 22. Maxpreps has Starmount ranked #11 & sos of -35.3 and Mitchell's 30.1.
If you use the NCAA equation for sos you'll have Startmont much closer to Mitchell as well. The two teams are much closer in the NC RPI as well and if you combined West & East, Starmount would be ranked #11.

How does Rville OOWP show our SOS.
It shows our opponents SOS, sort of.

How does Rville OOWP show our SOS.
It shows our opponents SOS, sort of.
Well thing is that's what everyone uses for sos it's just in what equation they use them.
As far as how does that show your team's sos? Say if you play a 5-0 team while that looks good for you owp the question is why are they 5-0 who was their opponents? Did they just beat a bunch of winless teams or teams with good records themselves? While not perfect itself the oowp gives a little more of an idea of the quality a 5-0 you just beat.

Well thing is that's what everyone uses for sos it's just in what equation they use them.
As far as how does that show your team's sos? Say if you play a 5-0 team while that looks good for you owp the question is why are they 5-0 who was their opponents? Did they just beat a bunch of winless teams or teams with good records themselves? While not perfect itself the oowp gives a little more of an idea of the quality a 5-0 you just beat.

Example
Hayesville plays some home school team that plays other homeschool teams except for hayesville. Hayesville could very likely have good oowp even though those teams are bad.

Reactions: KW23
Example
Hayesville plays some home school team that plays other homeschool teams except for hayesville. Hayesville could very likely have good oowp even though those teams are bad.
I guess that could be true to a certain extent but that team that lost to Hayesville ether they'll beat or lose to the other home school team so ether hayesvilles owp or oowp will drop.
Like I say there's no perfect system and like last year the RPI and maxpreps etc wasn't that much if any difference and not much right now. But I'd rather have a system that anyone can do and you know exactly what it is compared to some company their computers and secret formula.

Eliminate the oowp portion. That’s the one thing no team has any control over.

I gotcha. I had broken it down a couple of weeks ago just to see where each team was at. Here is what I found:

ER 11 points better than Asheboro
Asheboro 2 points better than Albemarle
Trinity 10 points better than Albemarle
Starmount 13 points better than Trinity(could've been a lot more)

With a fictional matchup of both teams with Albemarle, ER would be 13 points better where Starmount would be 23 points better. I put these games together because they were at the beginning of the season. I realize that this is stretching things out and can't be fully trusted but it gives some general ideas. Simmons had Starmount beating Alleghany by 4 points on Friday and Starmount won by 42. I keep seeing the Rams disrespected by the polls. Mitchell beat the same Alleghany team by like 7. But yet they're ranked above Starmount. It's just crazy
I wouldn’t look at Albemarle too much they are without their starting qb all season so far but he should be coming back in the next few weeks. Different offense with him in.

Eliminate the oowp portion. That’s the one thing no team has any control over.
Ok then how you going to figure SOS? As @Old Mountaineer has documented EVERY system uses OOWP in their formulas to determine SOS. I know not everyone thinks this system is perfect but as has been stated at least it’s transparent. As BK suggested in another thread perhaps tweaking the weight of each component is the answer but I don’t believe eliminating OOWP entirely is the solution.

I guess that could be true to a certain extent but that team that lost to Hayesville ether they'll beat or lose to the other home school team so ether hayesvilles owp or oowp will drop.
Like I say there's no perfect system and like last year the RPI and maxpreps etc wasn't that much if any difference and not much right now. But I'd rather have a system that anyone can do and you know exactly what it is compared to some company their computers and secret formula.

If you remember MaxPreps had a different formula for seeding than what you keep comparing to the rpi .

Ok then how you going to figure SOS? As @Old Mountaineer has documented EVERY system uses OOWP in their formulas to determine SOS. I know not everyone thinks this system is perfect but as has been stated at least it’s transparent. As BK suggested in another thread perhaps tweaking the weight of each component is the answer but I don’t believe eliminating OOWP entirely is the solution.
I find fault with things like the NCAA tournament for the same reason. But wouldn’t it be just as transparent without oowp?
I’ll use Thomasville as an example, not because we deserve special treatment, but because I know their circumstances best. We have benefitted from the split conference champ part of the equation.
In conference, we have had weak teams such as Lexington, South Davidson and West Davidson. We have to play them, hurting our owp. They naturally have scheduled weaker non-conference teams. So a double whammy by using oowp. Thomasville has zero control over that.
Non-conference games are often scheduled a year or two in advance. Again, you have little knowledge of who your opponent schedules or their relative strengths.
I just think that, to level the field as much as possible (no, there’s no perfect system), eliminate as much as possible those things that a team can’t control.

Reactions: ITJ and buzzcoach
IK yall will hate this but put the state rankings in the equation somewhere!
The problem with using rankings is that no one sees every team, not even their highlights. They often rank teams based on past history or reputation. Teams from larger population areas receive more press coverage and usually higher rankings. Another factor in rankings is that people are swayed by looking at final margins of victory thus encouraging teams to run up scores on other teams.

If you remember MaxPreps had a different formula for seeding than what you keep comparing to the rpi .
I keep comparing to maxpreps because before the RPI it's what the state used for ranking and seating. And yes of course I remember because when I do the comparison I also mention that they had a different formula a secret one. While they themselves post their own sos they don't say how they come up it ,other than that they say they use the wp & and when a team beats a higher rank opponent but that's all they disclose. So what's in the secret sauce?
But I also compare to them because they're a popular site and they list their sos and I've mentioned Simmons for the same reason to show that usually with all the complaints about the RPI that they're usually not that far off especially when it comes to sos.
Not sure if you preferred MaxPreps calling the shots for the state but remember even though they show Mt Airy with a much worse sos than Rville & Tarboro at this point all are undefeated then why are they ranked #1?

I keep comparing to maxpreps because before the RPI it's what the state used for ranking and seating. And yes of course I remember because when I do the comparison I also mention that they had a different formula a secret one. While they themselves post their own sos they don't say how they come up it ,other than that they say they use the wp & and when a team beats a higher rank opponent but that's all they disclose. So what's in the secret sauce?
But I also compare to them because they're a popular site and they list their sos and I've mentioned Simmons for the same reason to show that usually with all the complaints about the RPI that they're usually not that far off especially when it comes to sos.
Not sure if you preferred MaxPreps calling the shots for the state but remember even though they show Mt Airy with a much worse sos than Rville & Tarboro at this point all are undefeated then why are they ranked #1?
Secret sauce!!!
I love it…
Knew that would catch on, eventually 😂

I'm to the point now, just go back to predetermined and avoid conference rematches until 3rd round.

Only use RPI to determine home and away.

I'm to the point now, just go back to predetermined and avoid conference rematches until 3rd round.

Only use RPI to determine home and away.
Ain’t that kinda like it is now? East/west know line is Randolph/Chatham and they use RPI for seeding? Or do you mean conference X champ plays conference y 4th finisher? Every year? Or pods? I don’t think a lot of people liked either.

Conference ABC #1 draws Confernce DEF #4

Confernece GHI #2 draws Conference JKL #3

So on and so forth, the ONLY draw back to that old system is it takes non conference games out and they'll mean absolutely nothing. I do like that non conference games do factor in to some degree now.

Robbinsvilles remaining owp is 24-4
Of course that will change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT