ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman

Tough kids but the recent drop in enrollment can't help. They've lost near 100 kids the last decade. I look for consolidation in that county before long.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
No if I was I'd go for better... not worse....lol I actually just want to know what week they play cherokee.

Reactions: UNC91
They were supposed to last year...but covid...it will either be Sept 9th or 23rd...just wondering which one it is.

Reactions: UNC91 and BK13T-$
Speaking of…Floyd “The Barber”😂…I’ll share a story about Little ole Rosman.

They were REAL GOOD! in the late 90’s.

The Tigers went to the 1a state championship game in ‘97 losing to North Edgecombe. They beat teams like Albemarle, Thomasville, Cummings..to get there too. Trust me…that wuddn’t easy to do back then…as Maiden lost to a great team in Cummings that year…and Rosman knocked them out the following round.

In 1998, Rosman was an 8 seed and that great Cummings team was an undefeated 1 seed. Well…Rosman went over there and beat ‘em again! We(Maiden) were shocked by that… and back then that meant that Rosman assumed the #1 seed. Maiden was very fortunate (VERY FORTUNATE) to beat a great Thomasville team and advance to play Rosman at their place….when we all thought we would go to Cummings.

Alright…now…the Barber. 😂😂😂

You see…the Mayor of Maiden for 50 plus years was also the barber. He was..still is….a huge Blue Devil fan. I guess we all are! There’s something magical in Maiden about going somewhere for the first time to watch a big game against a team we didn’t know…like Rosman. It was cold that night but we packed in like sardines at their place. That Rosman team was one of the toughest teams I’ve ever seen play…line ‘em up and run at you as hard as physically possible…dying for another inch! Over and over again! Maiden had an outstanding team that year and was able to win the game comfortably. I went to get my hair cut the next morning. The Mayor was giddy, to say the least, about our victory and was swooning about how great Rosman was…the school, the team, and the town. He compared it favorably to Maiden in so many different ways. He went on and on and on…about how wonderful the experience was in Rosman.

Well…I had left the game a little early that night and tuned in to the local radio station to listen to the last quarter on my way back home. The announcers were LIVID!…they said that the Maiden fans were the most obnoxious, belligerent, rowdiest, rudest bunch of fans that ever graced their field!😂😂😂

I shared that with the Mayor as he was cutting my hair and it absolutely crushed him!😂😂😂….he never said another word and sent my ass out the door!😂😂😂

What can I say?….go Boom Devils!

Tip of the cap to Rosman….I would love to see them put a whipping on some of y’all 1a fellers!😉…and that OC from Pilot Mountain might just be the first step.

Go Tigers!

I was there that night not really knowing where maiden was I asked a guy where is maiden located? He replied here tonight ! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Why so many drop of enrollment?
Like most places in the mountains, factories/mills giving way to tourist economy. Retirees/2nd homes don’t put kids in the school system. Plus people have less kids now in general and it’s tough to afford WNC on a blue collar job even if you can find a decent one. And there’s a charter school in Cashiers that I’m sure has taken a few from the Lake Toxaway/Sapphire area.

Last edited:

The Tigers went to the 1a state championship game in ‘97 losing to North Edgecombe. They beat teams like Albemarle, Thomasville, Cummings..to get there too. Trust me…that wuddn’t easy to do back then…as Maiden lost to a great team in Cummings that year…and Rosman knocked them out the following round.

In 1998, Rosman was an 8 seed and that great Cummings team was an undefeated 1 seed. Well…Rosman went over there and beat ‘em again! We(Maiden) were shocked by that… and back then that meant that Rosman assumed the #1 seed. Maiden was very fortunate (VERY FORTUNATE) to beat a great Thomasville team and advance to play Rosman at their place….when we all thought we would go to Cummings.

You see…the Mayor of Maiden for 50 plus years was also the barber. He was..still is….a huge Blue Devil fan. I guess we all are! There’s something magical in Maiden about going somewhere for the first time to watch a big game against a team we didn’t know…like Rosman. It was cold that night but we packed in like sardines at their place. That Rosman team was one of the toughest teams I’ve ever seen play…line ‘em up and run at you as hard as physically possible…dying for another inch! Over and over again! Maiden had an outstanding team that year and was able to win the game comfortably. I went to get my hair cut the next morning. The Mayor was giddy, to say the least, about our victory and was swooning about how great Rosman was…the school, the team, and the town. He compared it favorably to Maiden in so many different ways. He went on and on and on…about how wonderful the experience was in Rosman.

Well…I had left the game a little early that night and tuned in to the local radio station to listen to the last quarter on my way back home. The announcers were LIVID!…they said that the Maiden fans were the most obnoxious, belligerent, rowdiest, rudest bunch of fans that ever graced their field!😂😂😂

I shared that with the Mayor as he was cutting my hair and it absolutely crushed him!😂😂😂….he never said another word and sent my ass out the door!😂😂😂

Tip of the cap to Rosman….I would love to see them put a whipping on some of y’all 1a fellers!😉…and that OC from Pilot Mountain might just be the first step.

Go Tigers!
Spot on, MC. Thomasville was undefeated in ‘97 and averaging over 41 points a game against some pretty good teams (mostly). Lost to Rosman 14-7. And 16-13 to Maiden in ‘98. I remember those as two great games to watch.

• Love
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Not long ago SMC looked like this.
Murphy 600/650
Swain 600/650
Hayesville 400/420
*Rosman 375/390
Andrews 280/320
Cherokee 300/330
Robbinsville 320/340

Now
Murphy460/500
Swain 520/550
Hayesville 370/385
Rosman 290/315
Andrews 205/220
Cherokee 325/345
Robbinsville 360/385

Not long ago SMC looked like this.
Murphy 600/650
Swain 600/650
Hayesville 400/420
*Rosman 375/390
Andrews 280/320
Cherokee 300/330
Robbinsville 320/340

Now
Murphy460/500
Swain 520/550
Hayesville 370/385
Rosman 290/315
Andrews 205/220
Cherokee 325/345
Robbinsville 360/385
Murphy hasn't seen 500 kids in a while. They're pretty firmly in the 450 range these days and still dropping. Consolidation may be off the table for a while but it will still happen eventually, operating 3 traditional high schools with a combined enrollment of 800 kids and quickly dropping isn't tenable.

Last edited:
Murphy hasn't seen 500 kids in a while. They're pretty firmly in the 450 range these days and still dropping. Consolidation may be off the table for a while but it will still happen eventually, operating 3 traditional high schools with a combined enrollment of 800 kids and quickly dropping isn't tenable.
Do you think when it eventually happens it will be one school in Peachtree? Or do you think it will eventually happen under another plan? (One school more centrally located, or the two school plan everybody hated until they supported it when the one school plan came along, or something else).

I wonder if any Transylvania Co. folks are following this that could say if there's any current talk of consolidating Rosman and Brevard? Rosman used to have a solid group of posters, but not as vocal the last few years. Brevard dipped for a while after Ecusta shut down in the early 2000s, but is now actually a little bigger than it was 10 years ago. (791 in 2021 vs. 733 in 2011). I'm guessing that's from that end of the county being more accessible to Asheville as a commuter. Rosman is down a good bit looking at the same years. (356 to 299).

Last edited:
According to an article in the Raleigh News and Observer about 2-3 years ago, 20% of school age kids don’t go to public schools in NC. The increase in charters and home schooling has had a major impact on public school enrollments. When you combine this with the decline of jobs in rural NC we can understand the drop in size of many of our traditional high schools!! And football programs need more players!! But real culprit is specialization and parents shopping their kids around to play.

You can thank federal government for that nafta and cafta. Destroyed spruce pine. Will never fully recover

Robbinsville made it thur the loss of plants fairly well. We have grown over the last two decades while most have gotten smaller. I think we will grow a lot this decade. I hope not.
8,000 is enough in the county.

Robbinsville made it thur the loss of plants fairly well. We have grown over the last two decades while most have gotten smaller. I think we will grow a lot this decade. I hope not.
8,000 is enough in the county.

More than overall growth in the county though is that the families that raised their kids here and built some very good football and other athletic teams over the years reached a point that they aged out, the kids moved off the raise their kids some place else and never came back (couldn't afford to even if there were jobs with housing the way it is around Trans. county). I know it happens everywhere in small town America, but the combination of work limited to a very few fields plus out of control land and housing prices has been much steeper here than anywhere else. What Robbinsville has been able to maintain and accomplish is not the norm, thats for sure.

When I say Robbinsville has grown I meant the school enrollment.
The county has went from 8,500 in 2010 to 8,000 2020.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I think Robbinsville keeps local families more than other places. Also not as many options in this ‘school choice’ world for them to compete with.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Tough kids but the recent drop in enrollment can't help. They've lost near 100 kids the last decade. I look for consolidation in that county before long.
Brevard was once touching 1,000 kids in the 90's and now they're down to the 700s. The loss of Ecusta and DuPont really hurt the county over that time. Don't get me wrong, it's still a booming economy over but it isn't the blue collar middle class families that kept it going for so long.

Brevard was once touching 1,000 kids in the 90's and now they're down to the 700s. The loss of Ecusta and DuPont really hurt the county over that time. Don't get me wrong, it's still a booming economy over but it isn't the blue collar middle class families that kept it going for so long.
Waynesville and Brevard are similar. Supplanting a local industrial economy for aging, tourist-2nd home market. Canton will soon be fighting off the hordes that love Asheville but can't afford to live there. Then they'll start working on getting rid of the mill, just like they got rid of the Asheville Speedway, because it irks them.

Robbinsville may be the way to go. I took a trip down to Blairsville, Ga a couple of years ago. Nice little town. All the schools in one location. Nice facility.

Waynesville and Brevard are similar. Supplanting a local industrial economy for aging, tourist-2nd home market. Canton will soon be fighting off the hordes that love Asheville but can't afford to live there. Then they'll start working on getting rid of the mill, just like they got rid of the Asheville Speedway, because it irks them.

Robbinsville may be the way to go. I took a trip down to Blairsville, Ga a couple of years ago. Nice little town. All the schools in one location. Nice facility.
Blairsville schools have a great reputation--Georgia does something NC doesn't where it allows a county system to be a "Charter system" and get more independence, and they've taken advantage of that. Cherokee Co. loses some kids and teachers to them, including Murphy's defensive coordinator a year ago. But if you don't like what Waynesville and Brevard have become, Blairsville is on that same track I think. Cherokee Co. probably has more industry left than a lot of places in the mountains (Snap On Tools, Moog, TEAM Industries, etc), just a tough market for workers to find a place to live with so much selling as 2nd homes and vacation properties.

Go Tigers!
One of those announcers could possibly have been one of the prominent posters on these pages back at that time. He knew a lot about the history of the mountain schools and posted many great stories of rivalries from over the years. I haven't seen him post in the past few years.

One of those announcers could possibly have been one of the prominent posters on these pages back at that time. He knew a lot about the history of the mountain schools and posted many great stories of rivalries from over the years. I haven't seen him post in the past few years.
Yeah, Rick was great to have around. I remember him saying he was going to stop posting years ago. Always enjoyed his history of games he would do for whoever Rosman was playing that week. He definitely put a lot of work into his posts and the quality showed. He did broadcasting for the radio station I think. He also made a dang good homemade raspberry jelly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT