ADVERTISEMENT

Rosman looking for a new coach

Sadly, I'm not sure any quality coaches will apply. Not sure how far off a merge with Brevard will be. Tough place to coach, as tradition clouds some reality of what they are now. Maybe they could lure coach Rice back. Not sure if he left on good terms or not.

Two schools that size sitting less than 10 miles apart--seems like it would make sense. Transylvania County is 381 sq miles, smaller than McDowell (446) or Madison (451), which both have a county wide high school. Put it a few miles down on the Brevard side of Rosman Highway and travel only a few minutes difference for anybody. Maybe they can get Cherokee County's grant once they give it back!

Two schools that size sitting less than 10 miles apart--seems like it would make sense. Transylvania County is 381 sq miles, smaller than McDowell (446) or Madison (451), which both have a county wide high school. Put it a few miles down on the Brevard side of Rosman Highway and travel only a few minutes difference for anybody. Maybe they can get Cherokee County's grant once they give it back!
I was thinking the same thing.
And what is going on with the Cherokee grant and the consolidation?

Not saying it will not ever happen some undetermined and unknowable number of years in the future for some other reasons but throwing around consolidation based off of the win / loss record of one particular sports team isn't exactly sound reasoning.

That's ridiculous. I know we all get mad at state and federal government for the crap job they do for our schools but local governments are just as bad sometimes being stuck in their ways.

Reactions: WESTERNOC44
Look at Hayesville, Cherokee,and Robbinsville. Three small schools with nice sports facilities.
Hayesville has nice base/softball football fields and basketball court. Cherokee has nice basketball court and football. Robbinsville has nice basketball and a real nice wrestling building that's nicer than most in the state
1a-4a.
Cherokee county school would be better than most in the area probably.

It is my understanding they are not sending it back at this time, but looking at reappropriating the funds before any final decisions are made.

If consolidation is truly off the table, personally, I'd like to see 3 new K-12 campuses. Do away with all the outlying elementary schools and just have 3 complete campuses. May as well shoot for the moon lol.

Does the grant specify what the money is to be used for. Just send it back. I am sure a lot of other schools could use that money

Does the grant specify what the money is to be used for. Just send it back. I am sure a lot of other schools could use that money.
The money came from the N.C. Department of Public Instruction nine school districts on Sept. 21, which will receive a combined $300 million in funds from state education lottery. The grants were aimed at districts in "economically distressed counties," as well as counties hard-hit by natural disasters.
Most grants like this are for a specific project. It's like it Mitchell county the new turf field some people complained that the money could be better spent on other things but the grant was specifically for the turf you ether use it on the turf or not get and I believe it's the same for Mitchell's new middle school grant consolidating our last two middle schools.

So the grant has a 5% match, which the previous County Board had approved, but the new Board just reversed on that at their first meeting this week and voted against allotting the county match.
From the same Cherokee Scout article back in July...
"that because enrollment is down, state funding is also down. That, along with $600,000 in cuts for the 2022-23 fiscal year budget by the Cherokee County Board of Commissioners, is making it difficult to pay for a teacher in every classroom among the 13 public school campuses spread out in the sprawling county."

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT