ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville 28 Lincolnton 7

Lincolnton

Nov 19, 2002
Just thought a game to decide who plays for the state title deserved a thread of its own as difficult as it is to make but credit where it's due and hats off to the winners.

Reidsville's defense kept our offense at bay and we couldn't get much going. Their offense did what they needed to do.
A big congratulations to the Rams and their posters. Good luck next Saturday.

To the Wolves: thank you for another great season. I thank you for all you put into the game of football and mostly I thank you for what you do for the people of Lincolnton in letting us identify with a great program.

You're a class act Lincolnton and so is your team and most of your posters....we have the same, good and bad....lol.............Would've like to have spoken to you again this year but it was darn cold....I was bundled and didn't move...lol.....maybe one of these years we'll get to ride down that way....I'm sure y'all are getting tired of heading north.....Lincolnton is a nice town....spent the night down there in L'ton a couple of times when my grandson was playing travel baseball in the Stanly/Dallas area................

Thanks fellers. My buddy Cheerduck rode down with me and we drove around Reidsville, some...He was telling me about being shown around town by a friend some years earlier when he visited.

We were talking about the old high school and I wondered where it was located. I thought about rambbq and wondered if he played there or at the current location and if some of the long time posters like the mule and TGT had went there.

I know the Rams will represent well and it wouldn't surprise me to see them bring home another trophy.

Lincolnton is one of the classiest posters in history of preps! Heart hurts for you my friend but I know you enjoyed every minute of that game win or lose ! You enjoy good football and even if your team gets beat you know when you see good football! I've always respected that ..

Glad good ol duck went with you....

Thank you Shelby Lion. When it come to NC Preps you're the poster I try to be like.

A big congratulations on beating Monroe. Shelby reminded everybody just how good they are.

Best of luck against Northside. I know this will be the fourth consecutive title the Lions will be bringing home.

Also a very Merry Christmas to you and family. There's got to be a couple of really excited kids in that household.

Reactions: sasha_nc
Thanks fellers. My buddy Cheerduck rode down with me and we drove around Reidsville, some...He was telling me about being shown around town by a friend some years earlier when he visited.

We were talking about the old high school and I wondered where it was located. I thought about rambbq and wondered if he played there or at the current location and if some of the long time posters like the mule and TGT had went there.

I know the Rams will represent well and it wouldn't surprise me to see them bring home another trophy.
Yes, QB rambbq played at the old Kiker Stadium at the former Reidsville High School on Franklin Street. Saw my first Reidsville State Championship team play there in 1950 although the first State Championship game I can remember was in 1954. I played basketball for Coach Hoy Isaacs, no football because those big guys would have beaten me up!

Glad to hear you rode down with our ol buddy Cheerduck. Sorry we didn't have a chance to talk last night. I have been a little under the weather lately and it was touch and go whether I would be able to show for the game.

I hope you will overlook some of the nasty posts by certain posters. Some people just like to take out their personal frustrations in life by trashing others thinking it makes them a better person. It doesn't.

Best wishes.

The Mule, thanks for saying something. Thanks for the information on the old high school. Last night, I read the long list of accomplishments in their entirety, on the honors board. I read it again as I left community Stadium. I wish I would have taken a photo of it. To me, what a program is today has a lot to do with past accomplishments and the efforts, ideas and attitudes of the coaches, players and fans associated with it. Anyone can see by what is on the honors board tha Reidsville is a football town.

You mentioned playing for Coach Isaacs. I'm thinking he too had won titles. Yesterday, after I picked up Cheerduck he pointed out the house, in Hickory, that Coach Marion Kirby had grown up in. He had coached at Page in Greensboro, and had won titles.

Yes, QB rambbq played at the old Kiker Stadium at the former Reidsville High School on Franklin Street. Saw my first Reidsville State Championship team play there in 1950 although the first State Championship game I can remember was in 1954. I played basketball for Coach Hoy Isaacs, no football because those big guys would have beaten me up!

Glad to hear you rode down with our ol buddy Cheerduck. Sorry we didn't have a chance to talk last night. I have been a little under the weather lately and it was touch and go whether I would be able to show for the game.

I hope you will overlook some of the nasty posts by certain posters. Some people just like to take out their personal frustrations in life by trashing others thinking it makes them a better person. It doesn't.

Best wishes.

Mr. Lincolnton and I had a great trip to Reidsville last night and I enjoyed the great game. Home field is a great edge in a game of this magnitude and for my first game at Reidsville, the Rams sure appeared to enjoy their friendly confines.

Lumbeeramfan showed me around the town a few years back on one of my visits for one of the Meeting of the Mouths events. Kiker Stadium, even at a distance, gave me goose bumps.History and traditions are important to me. Lincolnton was so excited when we got on Scales St. and found the old tobacco plant he must have circled that dang statue 6-8 times,( I enjoyed it myself). I even remembered the old Short Sugar's #2 location downtown.

I looked for The Mule and rambbq before the game but couldn't find you guys. I did run into my friend, John T. Wilson. John is Tanner Wilson's great uncle. Tanner's grandfather, James Wilson, was a very good tackle on some of Jug Wilson's Glen Alpine Green Wave teams of the early 60's. James lived in Snow Camp before he passed away a few years back. I had almost forgotten that James and John's sister was my sister's college roommate as well. Good family.

I'll finish by saying I hate that the NCHSAA decides to use 7 officials, as they did last night, instead of the usual 5. I guess they have done this in Regional finals before, I know they have in State Championships the last few years, but I don't know about the Regionals. I firmly believe the two extra officials are what causes some penalties to get called, justifying their role, or calls that can be missed, due to one official looking for the other to make the call and it not getting called at all. If they use 5 during the regular season keep it that way throughout the playoffs. Could you see basketball going from 3 to 4 or 5? I did get a chuckle when the White Hat signaled 1st down for the Rams and when the HC of LHS requested he measure, he found that he was in the wrong. I don't believe I've ever seen that happen from such a close proximity.

I love high school football and last night was what it's all about. From joy to sadness, from one team going on to the Championship, to the other with the shock of taking that uniform off for their last time.

Even though it was cold, the atmosphere was great and I enjoyed our trip to Titletown.

I don't post a lot on here, but just wanted to say I am very proud of the way both teams played last night. I didn't get the outcome I wanted but that's ok. Still very proud of LHS and want to commend all of our seniors. They played hard but the Rams played even better. Congratulations go out to the Reidsville Rams. Now go out and win another championship for yourselves, your school, your fans, and for your community. High school football is the best sport going.

Congrats to my Rams!!! Great game fellas. The only knock I have is the gold jersey with with white pants and that's only bc I don't like the adidas top and Nike bottom but that's just me need to be the same imo. But now that I got that off my chest let's go get #19!!!!

Also congrats to L town for good season

Congrats to my Rams!!! Great game fellas. The only knock I have is the gold jersey with with white pants and that's only bc I don't like the adidas top and Nike bottom but that's just me need to be the same imo. But now that I got that off my chest let's go get #19!!!!

Also congrats to L town for good season
I love the gold Jersey but wish they'd wear blue pants

I am a traditionalist. Anything is better than the newest set of blue jerseys. I know the have the magical swoosh. I know they were free. But they are for a blue and white team NOT a blue and gold team. If I had $10k to spend, they would be in my burn barrel.

Mr. Lincolnton and I had a great trip to Reidsville last night and I enjoyed the great game. Home field is a great edge in a game of this magnitude and for my first game at Reidsville, the Rams sure appeared to enjoy their friendly confines.

Lumbeeramfan showed me around the town a few years back on one of my visits for one of the Meeting of the Mouths events. Kiker Stadium, even at a distance, gave me goose bumps.History and traditions are important to me. Lincolnton was so excited when we got on Scales St. and found the old tobacco plant he must have circled that dang statue 6-8 times,( I enjoyed it myself). I even remembered the old Short Sugar's #2 location downtown.

I looked for The Mule and rambbq before the game but couldn't find you guys. I did run into my friend, John T. Wilson. John is Tanner Wilson's great uncle. Tanner's grandfather, James Wilson, was a very good tackle on some of Jug Wilson's Glen Alpine Green Wave teams of the early 60's. James lived in Snow Camp before he passed away a few years back. I had almost forgotten that James and John's sister was my sister's college roommate as well. Good family.

I'll finish by saying I hate that the NCHSAA decides to use 7 officials, as they did last night, instead of the usual 5. I guess they have done this in Regional finals before, I know they have in State Championships the last few years, but I don't know about the Regionals. I firmly believe the two extra officials are what causes some penalties to get called, justifying their role, or calls that can be missed, due to one official looking for the other to make the call and it not getting called at all. If they use 5 during the regular season keep it that way throughout the playoffs. Could you see basketball going from 3 to 4 or 5? I did get a chuckle when the White Hat signaled 1st down for the Rams and when the HC of LHS requested he measure, he found that he was in the wrong. I don't believe I've ever seen that happen from such a close proximity.

I love high school football and last night was what it's all about. From joy to sadness, from one team going on to the Championship, to the other with the shock of taking that uniform off for their last time.

Even though it was cold, the atmosphere was great and I enjoyed our trip to Titletown.
I probably saw you walk by the concession stand but didn't recognize you all bundled up.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
i prefer the more traditional reidsville look - solid gold helmets, navy shirts, gold pants.

Reactions: 56_4ever
Thank you Shelby Lion. When it come to NC Preps you're the poster I try to be like.

A big congratulations on beating Monroe. Shelby reminded everybody just how good they are.

Best of luck against Northside. I know this will be the fourth consecutive title the Lions will be bringing home.

Also a very Merry Christmas to you and family. There's got to be a couple of really excited kids in that household.
Often, during the heat of competition, I read the third page of infantile, seventh grade one upsmanship, and I wonder why the heck I spend my time reading this stuff. And then along comes a series of posts from people I respect. Not just because they display sportsmanship, but because I know they are as passionate about high school football and their particular team as anyone here. But they learned, somewhere along the way, that pride in your school doesn't have to mean that you verbally denigrate your opponent and every other program you might ever face. That competition can mean that you knock the other guy down as hard as you can. But that it's okay to pick him up.
I'm fortunate to know folks like Lincolnton, Cheerduck, Shelby Lion, Buddy Rich, ITJ, and 23Wolf. There are others here who I respect, but haven't met. Those are the folks who appreciate and respect football tradition and the lifelong lessons team sports can teach. I know there are people who think that's all just a bunch of sissy political correctness. But in the value system I was taught, that's the standard we should all aim for.
Thank you folks for reminding me what this game is all about.

I'm with dhag.....please lose those ugly blue shirts with the white sleeves......Gold jersey I like........I like the gold pants but it's gotten so we rarely wear them...................

OC, my friend, thank you for the post and sharing your thoughts...My idea of sportsmanship comes from people like you and those you mentioned and are reinforced by you and others I have met on here.
I hope you get to take in some of the title games. I'm doing my best to get off from work to take in some of the action.

The Mule, thanks for saying something. Thanks for the information on the old high school. Last night, I read the long list of accomplishments in their entirety, on the honors board. I read it again as I left community Stadium. I wish I would have taken a photo of it. To me, what a program is today has a lot to do with past accomplishments and the efforts, ideas and attitudes of the coaches, players and fans associated with it. Anyone can see by what is on the honors board tha Reidsville is a football town.

You mentioned playing for Coach Isaacs. I'm thinking he too had won titles. Yesterday, after I picked up Cheerduck he pointed out the house, in Hickory, that Coach Marion Kirby had grown up in. He had coached at Page in Greensboro, and had won titles.
Coach Kirby still works at the NC Coaches Association next door to me at Grimsley. Edit time....it is Mac Morris, long time Page basketball coach who works there. Right school, wrong legend.

Last edited:
Often, during the heat of competition, I read the third page of infantile, seventh grade one upsmanship, and I wonder why the heck I spend my time reading this stuff. And then along comes a series of posts from people I respect. Not just because they display sportsmanship, but because I know they are as passionate about high school football and their particular team as anyone here. But they learned, somewhere along the way, that pride in your school doesn't have to mean that you verbally denigrate your opponent and every other program you might ever face. That competition can mean that you knock the other guy down as hard as you can. But that it's okay to pick him up.
I'm fortunate to know folks like Lincolnton, Cheerduck, Shelby Lion, Buddy Rich, ITJ, and 23Wolf. There are others here who I respect, but haven't met. Those are the folks who appreciate and respect football tradition and the lifelong lessons team sports can teach. I know there are people who think that's all just a bunch of sissy political correctness. But in the value system I was taught, that's the standard we should all aim for.
Thank you folks for reminding me what this game is all about.

Thanks OC(Scott), some of the posters haven't been around as long as some of us. We realize that it is only a game. A game that we all love. There will be more wins and more losses. That's just the way life is. Some years ago, after a loss, I would not sleep for hours, but now it is all in whats really important. Our priorities change. Love the game, the experience, the friends we make along the way, but always keep it in perspective. Have a great Lords day and I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!
Tell Sam the same for him and his!!!!

Thanks OC(Scott), some of the posters haven't been around as long as some of us. We realize that it is only a game. A game that we all love. There will be more wins and more losses. That's just the way life is. Some years ago, after a loss, I would not sleep for hours, but now it is all in whats really important. Our priorities change. Love the game, the experience, the friends we make along the way, but always keep it in perspective. Have a great Lords day and I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!
Tell Sam the same for him and his!!!!
You just did, 23. He reads, just doesn't post. A wonderful Christmas to you and yours as well.

Here's fact Coach Marion Kirby coached for I think about 8 yrs. at Edenton Holmes.......before eventually arriving at G'boro Page....Holmes is Reidsville's state title opponent......................

Reactions: AcesWild2323
Congrats to Lincolnton players and fans for their great season. It's disappointing right now but as you reflect on it for a while you will regain the peace from your successful season.
Wolves fans set the bar for most posters as it relates to class.
That is pretty much the sentiment of most Raider fans.
Keep doing what your doing.

Reactions: LTown Wolves
Here's fact Coach Marion Kirby coached for I think about 8 yrs. at Edenton Holmes.......before eventually arriving at G'boro Page....Holmes is Reidsville's state title opponent......................

Edenton can lay claims to 9 various state championships in football over the years. Coach Kirby told me once that the community was one of the best he had ever seen in supporting high school athletics. Good luck to the Rams!

Reactions: AcesWild2323
Raidersway thank you for the kind words....We'll try it again next year.
South Point has put together a storybook season and I know they'll be ready for Rocky Mount. All the Wolves fans I know like and respect the Raiders and their fans, especially for their tough no quit attitude. I know they can do it. Good luck.

Coach Kirby still works at the NC Coaches Association next door to me at Grimsley. Edit time....it is Mac Morris, long time Page basketball coach who works there. Right school, wrong legend.

RammanuelKant, thanks for mentioning that you are on the staff at Grimsley. A long time ago, Stroupe's Soda Shop sold the Sunday edition of the Greensboro Record and it was usually mid-week when they got it. They didn't mind if you looked through it as long as you kept the sections in order. That is the first time I heard of Grimsley and Page. Always been under the impression that both schools are in the city and have always wanted to go to a game, there.
BTW, with a screen name like RammanuelKant I wondered if you teach metaphysics, there. ;)

RammanuelKant, thanks for mentioning that you are on the staff at Grimsley. A long time ago, Stroupe's Soda Shop sold the Sunday edition of the Greensboro Record and it was usually mid-week when they got it. They didn't mind if you looked through it as long as you kept the sections in order. That is the first time I heard of Grimsley and Page. Always been under the impression that both schools are in the city and have always wanted to go to a game, there.
BTW, with a screen name like RammanuelKant I wondered if you teach metaphysics, there. ;)
Yep, I teach philosophy and history in the IB program.

RammanuelKant also eats chalk so don't let him fool you with his philosophical rhetoric. This comment being from one of his former IB students. Talley ho old chap, good to see you still perusing the old boards haha.

Thanks, guys. He sure does sound like a man of all seasons. Had a teacher that ate chalk. He said it
Was a source of calcium. Think I'll stick to buttermilk.
I hope all of you get to go down to Winston-Salem, Saturday, to cheer on the Rams. Heard it's going to be cold with a chance of frozen precipitation. I know you're looking forward to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT