ADVERTISEMENT

Ask the Ref Question about Refs announcing numbers

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
CHUTE BOX HERO (Poster says)

Last week, I saw something I've never seen before at a high school game. During the second half of the Dudley-Richmond game, the ref started announcing the number of the player that the penalty was on. I thought they only did this on the pro level. Is this commonplace in different regions of the state?

TARHEELG (Poster says)

I don't know any official rules about this, but it might have been a courtesy to the coaches who had been asking....I do know that coaches almost always ask the line judge or head linesman for the number of the guy that was flagged for holding or clipping or blocking in the back or the two guys involved in a chop block, it is unusual for the referee to announce it in high school but i'm not sure if it is a violation of policy or not

REF4E (Poster says)

In the NFHS officials manual, last year, it was revised to allow this, although it is not required.

SPORTSNUT17 (Poster says)

And most HS do not have Refs mic'd either

WTXYCOLOR (Poster says)

Lucky if you can read the uniform numbers on today's jerseys. Even from a few yards away.

SPORTSNUT17 (Poster says)

I was at a game a couple of weeks ago, team wore all white, including white numbers outlined in light gold. Could hardly read them at field level, gosh I have no idea how PA and radio crew read them.

WTXYCOLOR (Poster says)

Good thing the radio crew and PA don't matter....... Except to the relatives of players whose name you get wrong when they do something good.

FBREF (Poster says)

In the Southeastern association, which includes Richmond, we have several schools where the referee is miked. We also have several referees, including yours truly, that have purchased their own wireless microphone systems that connect to the stadium PA.

Personally, I think it adds a lot to the game. Many fans don't understand HS penalty rules and enforcements. It helps to be able to explain an enforcement, especially when it's different than a college or pro rule.

And yes, we do announce numbers.

Gentleman that called the South Columbus at Whiteville game had his own wireless system. I thought it added a lot to the atmosphere and also quickly helped correct a couple of times when seconds needed to be added back on the clock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT