ADVERTISEMENT

Power of NIL in NC High Schools

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
If you have any thoughts pro or con to portal transfers (recruiting), go to today's Charlotte Observer and read about Reidsville's MaxPrep Athlete of the Year Kendre Harrison applying to attend Charlotte's private Providence Day High School.

If a player and their family wants to go to a private school because of the NIL deal, I completely understand. It’s the world we are in now.
I really think the NCHSSA and our state government- since they want to get so involved with everything - need to look at the landscape of private vs public school athletics and focus on fair play ASAP, if fair play is even a thing anymore.
I look at just the 1A East and I mentioned this in a thread a few days ago. Look at Wilson Prep. In two years, they started a football program and advanced to the fourth round in just their second year. They already have an advantage of recruiting and now they have an advantage with the NIL rule. In the 1A East this season, I still think Tarboro is the team to beat, but after realignment, Wilson Prep will be the team to beat most likely in the revamped 1A. A traditional 1A school that is most likely a small rural school stands no chance at competing against that year after year. To me, there are enough prep/ charter schools for them to have their own classification and stay away from competing against traditional schools in the state playoffs going forward. I guess that’s up to the powers at be, but right is right. If we keep on like we are, it’s going to keep getting out of hand in a hurry and it won’t be good at all for the traditional 1A schools in athletics. I’m curious to see what the other opinions are out there.

Last edited:
Two thoughts (not only two thoughts but tow for this posting).
1. Be sure to separate the private and charter schools that choose to play in the public school arena. No NIL's for them but the recruiting is just totally on their side over regular public schools. In my opinion that should be dealt with in some manner.

2. The private schools like Providence Day, I will concede that education is at their core. However, for many, I truly believe they are "sports factories" only. May not be fair, but when you see an awfully lot of evidence that academics is not there TRUE Focal point one starts to question whether or not somebody should be looking at the bank accounts.

Two thoughts (not only two thoughts but tow for this posting).
1. Be sure to separate the private and charter schools that choose to play in the public school arena. No NIL's for them but the recruiting is just totally on their side over regular public schools. In my opinion that should be dealt with in some manner.

2. The private schools like Providence Day, I will concede that education is at their core. However, for many, I truly believe they are "sports factories" only. May not be fair, but when you see an awfully lot of evidence that academics is not there TRUE Focal point one starts to question whether or not somebody should be looking at the bank accounts.
Think of it this way true sports academies like IMG cost millions on top of millions to build. These private schools out smarted them and are building their versions with pennies on the dollar by just paying the players a fraction of the cost. I'm totally against this in NC it's gonna ruin sports just like it did in college and pros.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT