ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff projections

Good work; we have almost the same thing for 2A/2AA in the East, but I have McMichael with the 1s instead of the wild cards, after hearing back in an email from NCHSAA that the split conference wild card rule, that would definitely have them as a wild card in a normal season, is not in effect this year

Reactions: beamer24 and dogs79
Even worse...McMichael with a 2-5 record could play at home against an undefeated team....MADNESS
That happened in girls basketball 2 months ago with a 2-9 Granville Central team, whose only 2 wins were against the only other 1A team in a 1A/2A split conference with a girls bball team this year, and they got the 1 seed

Here's what I have:

2A/2AA East Playoff Projections
16 teams to qualify for playoffs in 2A classification in East region:

Conference Champions (10): Roanoke Rapids, Washington, Randleman, McMichael, Croatan, SW Edgecombe, Reidsville, Northeastern, St. Pauls, Clinton

2nd Place Automatic Bids (4): Eastern Randolph, Kinston, Red Springs, Wallace-Rose Hill

At-Large/Wild Card Berths (2): South Granville, and the winner of a random draw between Beddingfield, SW Onslow, and West Craven

-The 16 teams that qualify for the playoffs will then be split into two groups of eight, based on the 2019-20 enrollment numbers: listed below

St. Pauls 1002
Roanoke Rapids 871
Washington 860
Randleman 856
McMichael 855
Croatan 853
South Granville 840
SW Edgecombe 814
--------------------
Clinton 806
Beddingfield??? 780 (must win draw to make playoffs)
West Craven??? 774 (must win draw to make playoffs)
Red Springs 748
Reidsville 723
SW Onslow??? 706 (must win draw to make playoffs)
Wallace-Rose Hill 674
Eastern Randolph 671
Kinston 634
Northeastern 630

2AA East
Tier of Conf. Champs. (will be seeded randomly for seeds 1-7): Roanoke Rapids, Washington, Randleman, McMichael, Croatan, SW Edgecombe, and St. Pauls are locked into this tier
Tier of Wild Cards (8 seed): South Granville

2A East
Tier of Conf. Champs. (will be seeded randomly for seeds 1-3) Northeastern, Reidsville, and Clinton are locked into this tier
Tier of 2nd place Auto-bids: (will be seeded randomly for seeds 4-7) Eastern Randolph, Kinston, Wallace-Rose Hill, and Red Springs are locked into this tier
Tier of Wild Cards (8 seed): winner of draw between Beddingfield, SW Onslow, and West Craven

Last edited:
Here's what I have:

2A/2AA East Playoff Projections
16 teams to qualify for playoffs in 2A classification in East region:

Conference Champions (10): Roanoke Rapids, Washington, Randleman, McMichael, Croatan, SW Edgecombe, Reidsville, Northeastern, winner of St. Pauls/Red Springs game, winner of Clinton/Wallace-Rose Hill game

2nd Place Automatic Bids (4): Eastern Randolph, Kinston, loser of St. Pauls/Red Springs game, loser of Clinton/Wallace-Rose Hill game

At-Large/Wild Card Berths (2): South Granville, and the winner of a random draw between Beddingfield, SW Onslow (and West Craven if they beat Greene Central)

-The 16 teams that qualify for the playoffs will then be split into two groups of eight, based on the 2019-20 enrollment numbers: listed below

St. Pauls 1002
Roanoke Rapids 871
Washington 860
Randleman 856
McMichael 855
Croatan 853
South Granville 840
SW Edgecombe 814
--------------------
Clinton 806
Beddingfield??? 780 (must win draw to make playoffs)
West Craven??? 774 (must win draw to make playoffs)
Red Springs 748
Reidsville 723
SW Onslow??? 706 (must win draw to make playoffs)
Wallace-Rose Hill 674
Eastern Randolph 671
Kinston 634
Northeastern 630

2AA East
Tier of Conf. Champs. (will be seeded randomly for seeds 1-6 or 7): Roanoke Rapids, Washington, Randleman, McMichael, Croatan, SW Edgecombe are locked into this tier, plus possibly St. Pauls (with a win over Red Springs)
Tier of 2nd place Auto-bids: St. Pauls (with a loss to Red Springs), would be 7 seed with 2nd place finish in conference
Tier of Wild Cards: South Granville, would be 8 seed

2A East
Tier of Conf. Champs. (will be seeded randomly for seeds 1-3 or 4) Northeastern, Reidsville are locked into this tier, plus winner of Clinton/Wallace-Rose Hill game, plus possibly Red Springs (with win over St. Pauls),
Tier of 2nd place Auto-bids: (will be seeded randomly for seeds 4 or 5-7) Eastern Randolph, Kinston are locked into this tier, plus loser of Clinton/Wallace-Rose Hill game, plus possibly Red Springs (with loss to St. Pauls)
Tier of Wild Cards: winner of draw between Beddingfield and SW Onslow (and West Craven if they beat Greene Central), would be 8 seed
Got one for the west?

This should be close

2AA West
Hibriten 1001
Oak Grove 992
North Davidson 991
Burns 947
Ashe County 907
Mount Pleasant 867
Salisbury 858
Maiden 840

2A West
Bunker Hill 838
Shelby 827
West Lincoln 827
Forbush 809
West Stanly 763
Hendersonville 745
Walkertown 726
Mountain Heritage 629

Reactions: daletec
If West Stanley loses tonight Pisgah would go 2AA and Maiden would drop down to 2A. I think.
Yeah probably so...beamer, what do you have the 1 seed and 2 seed splits between a/aa? Eye test says 2aa has more 1 seeds but I'm not sure.

Yeah probably so...beamer, what do you have the 1 seed and 2 seed splits between a/aa? Eye test says 2aa has more 1 seeds but I'm not sure.
2AA
Hibriten
Oak Grove or North Davidson
Ashe
Mount Pleasant or West Stanley
Maiden
2A
Shelby
Walkertown or Forbush
Hendersonville
Not sure about Mountain Heritage they are in a split conference but looks like they are the #1 2A team in it.

If Mount Pleasant wins there should be 4 #1 seeds in each class.

Reactions: daletec
I think there are 9 #1s from the west. So MH should be #1. That makes 5 and 4. Looks right!!

Shelby was right on the line back in ‘19. Lots of people thought they might go little and play Reidsville...but it didn’t happen.

Shelby and Burns gonna be a problem!

you know it — preaching to the choir, brother. we’ve seen one or the other in the playoffs each of the last 4 years.

2016: Burns W 62-28 (2nd Round)
2017: Shelby W 19-7 (West Regional)
2018: Shelby L 28-21 (West Regional)
**blew 14 pt 4Q lead in what was de facto state title game**
2019: Burns L 52-35 (2nd Round)

Shelby, Crest, Burns, KM: combined 27 state championship appearances — never seem to get low on athletes in cleveland county.

you know it — preaching to the choir, brother. we’ve seen one or the other in the playoffs each of the last 4 years.

Shelby, Crest, Burns, KM: combined 27 state championship appearances — never seem to get low on athletes in cleveland county.
I was there in ‘17 and ‘18....both were great games!

The 2A and 2AA seem to be the only class that has the contending teams having finished playing....the other 3 classes have Saturday games pending........Wonder if the NCHSAA will go ahead and draw the seeding process for 2A and 2AA teams and go ahead and set the playoff schedule for these teams?? Here's hoping they will.............

Reactions: Maiden Creek
The 2A and 2AA seem to be the only class that has the contending teams having finished playing....the other 3 classes have Saturday games pending........Wonder if the NCHSAA will go ahead and draw the seeding process for 2A and 2AA teams and go ahead and set the playoff schedule for these teams?? Here's hoping they will.............

ha that means two separate press releases — even the hint of suggesting a little additional effort to help out some member schools/fans is considered “cruel and unusual punishment” in their world

That 2AA bracket is still loaded if projections are on spot!!!!

2AA East is TRASH (outside of Randleman)

2AA West ? for sure — but in a rare year where Shelby is missing and we trade Maiden for Pisgah (no offense intended) at the last second ... safe to say we all caught a bit of break

*Of course now that i’ve made this statement, Pisgah will obviously be your 2AA West Champ!*

Reactions: Maiden Creek
What dominos fell that pushed Shelby and Maiden down to 2A? Not that i’m complaining 🙂 — just curious.
Biggest thing I see is instead of taking all teams and then subdividing is they subdivided east and west separately. Because of the automatic bids and preset east and west fields.

Biggest thing I see is instead of taking all teams and then subdividing is they subdivided east and west separately. Because of the automatic bids and preset east and west fields.

oh, that’s right. i forgot that was a thing for this year. yeah, i don’t know the direct affect, but conf were definitely pre assigned east/west designations.

We could see you guys again for the third time as soon as Friday

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT