ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff format change?

crazyduke3

Mar 28, 2010
I stopped following HS F for about 6-7 years only came back recently but am I remembering it wrong that it was 4 rounds and then state? So it’s 5 rounds and states now?

Reactions: beamer24
I stopped following HS F for about 6-7 years only came back recently but am I remembering it wrong that it was 4 rounds and then state? So it’s 5 rounds and states now?
Yeah when they reduced the field from 8 to 4 champions they kept the same amount of teams that make the playoffs. So we lost a regular season game and added a round to the playoffs.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Yeah when they reduced the field from 8 to 4 champions they kept the same amount of teams that make the playoffs. So we lost a regular season game and added a round to the playoffs.
And I’m sure in 25-26 when they go to 7 classes it will be back to the 4 rounds and then states because the NCHSAA isn’t happy unless they can make changes to something

I listened to an interview Joey Robinson gave on Asheville radio a couple of weeks ago. He came out pretty strong in favor of cutting that extra week out. Players are playing another half season if they make it to the finals. Keeping in mind that MH is a 1A school, I get his point.

I listened to an interview Joey Robinson gave on Asheville radio a couple of weeks ago. He came out pretty strong in favor of cutting that extra week out. Players are playing another half season if they make it to the finals. Keeping in mind that MH is a 1A school, I get his point.
It’s funny you say that, I thought last week was regional final week. You are correct too many rounds. Still had 2 more rounds after last week.

It’s funny you say that, I thought last week was regional final week. You are correct too many rounds. Still had 2 more rounds after last week.
I'm trying to remember how often the regionals were ever during the week of Thanksgiving. Looking back, we made it to the 2nd round in 1979 and 1980. In 1979, the 2nd round game was the day after Thanksgiving (11/22) but in 1980, the 3rd round (regional) was that week (11/27). I realize that Thanksgiving is based on how many Thursdays are in a given November but I assume we started a week earlier in '80 too.

The season is too long. Especially with 7 on 7s and all going on year round....the playoffs are at least one week too long. I would prefer to see an extra regular season game and one less playoff week (less teams in). The regular season could be a larger factor in determining the actual playoff spots. Make it a mix of the best rpi and record vs. like conference (only), conf. champs to determine who gets in.
No more of this 3-7 team out of a split conference UNLESS the 3 wins are against other 3a teams with only 1 loss type situation.

what more do we want, we have a computerized seeding for the most part now, we didnt like mp seeding so we have the rpi now, there will always be some seeding issues when 2 really good teams are in the same conference,
those issues are in all the sports, dallas a 2 from their division would go to
new orleans or atlanta round 1 with a much better record. I think the seeding is ok now, now the number of teams that make the playoffs is another question, the new formula still will have about the same amount of teams making the playoffs similar to the a,aa of a few years ago.. just a less round to be played

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
It’s never going to be perfect and people will always find ways to complain..Before when they had the spilt classifications all you heard was man 3A is the real champ and 3AA is weak…And 2A and 1A and etc…

Now that we have 1 Champion in each class people complain about playing the good teams early…Over their years I have learned people love to complain about anything…

You could give people a job of eating pies all day and pay them 50 dollars a hour and they would complain…

Playoffs are perfect right now…I like it because we are not leaving out a 9-1 team from a conference that had a 3 way tie at the top…That use to happen a lot back in the 80s if a conference only had 2 bids…Somebody was sitting at home after a drawing on Saturday morning at the Waffle House…

Playoffs are perfect right now…I like it because we are not leaving out a 9-1 team from a conference that had a 3 way tie at the top…That use to happen a lot back in the 80s if a conference only had 2 bids…Somebody was sitting at home after a drawing on Saturday morning at the Waffle House…
The issue was not the number of teams that qualified for the playoffs but the predetermined playoff berths per conference.

I like:
Ten games in eleven weeks like the old days.
Four classifications with no subdividing.
MaxPreps computer poll with modified margin of victory.
32 team / five round playoff. Reward teams for a successful regular season.

You wouldn't like it if you had to play teams 2x and 3x larger like we do.

You wouldn't like it if you had to play teams 2x and 3x larger like we do.
What I like and fairness are two different things. To make it equitable for all I like four classes with 1A and 4A having less than half as many teams as 2A and 3A. Subdivide 2A and 3A for all team sports.

Reactions: beamer24
The issue was not the number of teams that qualified for the playoffs but the predetermined playoff berths per conference.

I like:
Ten games in eleven weeks like the old days.
Four classifications with no subdividing.
MaxPreps computer poll with modified margin of victory.
32 team / five round playoff. Reward teams for a successful regular season.
I can go with most of that, maybe add a class or two.

What I like and fairness are two different things. To make it equitable for all I like four classes with 1A and 4A having less than half as many teams as 2A and 3A. Subdivide 2A and 3A for all team sports.
Give me some numbers. What percentage would be 1a?
I think I've looked at your idea before and 1a would be huge if I remember correctly.
1a at the most should be under 600 and that's still huge difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT