ADVERTISEMENT

Pisgah @ Dudley

Supermanklt

Sep 23, 2003
One of the many reasons I love playoff time! You get to play schools from far and near and learn more and more about schools in different parts of the state and conferences. I'm interested in learning more about the Bears of Pisgah High School. What can be expected from the Friday night ?

Pisgah is very young but they have talent. I expect they'll lose big but they'll fight to the end.

Reactions: GG4BAMA
One of the many reasons I love playoff time! You get to play schools from far and near and learn more and more about schools in different parts of the state and conferences. I'm interested in learning more about the Bears of Pisgah High School. What can be expected from the Friday night ?
Pisgah comes from Canton, a small town just outside Asheville. A few fun facts about Canton since you're interested in learning about the state: it basically revolves around a huge paper mill; Gladys Knight's husband is from there and they live nearby; and the town is crazy about sports, but unfortunately the school's stadium was hit hard when the town flooded last fall and they haven't had a home game in 2 seasons because of it. They'll have a lot of tough kids who play hard like you'd expect from a blue collar town, but this isn't one of their better teams and there will be a talent gap between them and Dudley.

Last edited:
Pisgah comes from Canton, a small town just outside Asheville. A few fun facts about Canton since you're interested in learning about the state: it basically revolves around a huge paper mill; Gladys Knight's husband is from there and they live nearby; and the town is crazy about sports, but unfortunately the school's stadium was hit hard when the town flooded last fall and they haven't had a home game in 2 seasons because of it. They'll have a lot of tough kids who play hard like you'd expect from a blue collar town, but this isn't one of their better teams and there will be a talent gap between them and Dudley.
Still one of the coolest places to catch a game. That place will be rocking next season when it opens back up.

311800349_627636342164238_5422608713856861940_n.jpg

When I went to Dudley to watch a game a few years back, the food was excellent. They had turkey legs that night and they were damn good. The people were very gracious as well.
The field conditions…..not so much! 😁

Canton is a truly resilient and remarkable town. IDK how this game will turn out but just getting TO this game is a monumental achievement for PHS and the town, given what they have had to endure the last two seasons.
Excellent documentary tonight on PBS on Fred Chappell, author extraordinaire from Canton. Lot of history in that story.

Excellent documentary tonight on PBS on Fred Chappell, author extraordinaire from Canton. Lot of history in that story.
Mister Chappell spent quite a bit of time in Greensboro as he taught English for years at UNC-G. He also spent quite a few evenings in the infamous The Fabulous Pickwick tavern. He was a very interesting dude who would sit in the Pickwick for hours talking about mainly writing and music .. He was North Carolina's Poet Laureate for a few years, too. I always knew he was from the N.C. mountain area, but didn't realize he was from Canton.

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Mister Chappell spent quite a bit of time in Greensboro as he taught English for years at UNC-G. He also spent quite a few evenings in the infamous The Fabulous Pickwick tavern. He was a very interesting dude who would sit in the Pickwick for hours talking about mainly writing and music .. He was North Carolina's Poet Laureate for a few years, too. I always knew he was from the N.C. mountain area, but didn't realize he was from Canton.
Taught one of my favorites, Thomasville alumnus Candace Lambeth Flynn. Former chief cheerleader (1964 WNCHSAA Champs) and author. Showed her at the end of the show.
Chappell is a great author, even if he was a Dookie.

My 10th grade English class took a field trip to see him read in the gymnasium at Andrews High years ago. I came out of it with a copy of I Am One of You Forever. For some reason I read it—it was pretty thin or else I’m sure I wouldn’t have bothered back then—anyway, it’s one of the books that got me to thinking reading wasn’t all that bad. As for him being from Canton—and since this is a football forum—that book also has a joke in it about a fullback for the ‘Black Bears’ who ran the wrong way for a safety becoming the skeleton in the health classroom.

Last edited:
A lot has changed since that 2009 Game Sir. Dudley had a new Stadium built and Field House 2nd to none, sitting 6,000 on the Home Side and 2,000 on the Away Side in 2013. Plus both sides goes very high up equal to NCA&T Truist Stadium. And field is much better since then.
I’m glad to hear this, those kids deserve to play on a quality field and stadium. 2009 was a mud pit, but it had rained for several days that week! Good luck to Dudley this year.

Reactions: P.Saunders
As long as anyone from Dudley doesn't say that someone will get their head rocked, they should be fine.

I’m glad to hear this, those kids deserve to play on a quality field and stadium. 2009 was a mud pit, but it had rained for several days that week! Good luck to Dudley this year.
I think that mud pit, and it was, actually worked to the Rocket's favor that night. Well, that and the wide open dropped short TD pass. Dudley had a fantastic CB/WR on that team but that Rockets team was destined.

Sitting here in the stadium now. Very nice stadium. Their poor speakers ain't going to make it tho. 😆 Hopefully our Bears will show up and make it a great game.

I just want to give a round of applause to the Dudley Football program. More than their program of excellence, what has really impressed me is their ability to get someone to man the camera on NFHS. You all don't know how much this means to me.

Well fellas that was fun. Maybe we'll see ya next year. It'll be all the same players for us other than 1 lineman.

Well fellas that was fun. Maybe we'll see ya next year. It'll be all the same players for us other than 1 lineman.
I looked at that game for a second and everyone was just going through the motions. They didn’t open up the playbook and looked flat. Seem like both teams were just running out the clock.

Strange score., PHS did all they COULD do with what they had to work with against what must be a very good Dudley squad IMO. Good effort, good season and lets hope this S#$T sandwich of that flood and the damage it caused is behind us by the time next season rolls around. As far as I am concerned Pisgah shouldn't have a road football game for two solid years. (I know that is not the case but it just seems fair somehow)

I looked at that game for a second and everyone was just going through the motions. They didn’t open up the playbook and looked flat. Seem like both teams were just running out the clock.
Pretty much what it was. Both teams wanting to get it over with.

Reactions: New3ra
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT