ADVERTISEMENT

Page @ NW Guilford 10/4

PagePirates44

Aug 15, 2004
I think this one probably deserves it's own thread.
Page is currently tied for first in the Metro at 2-0 after big margin victories over SW and Ragsdale.
NW beat Western by 20 and lost to Grimsley by 40. Checking in at 1-1.
I imagined NW putting up more points against RJ Reynolds (17) and N Davidson (19). Why is NW not manufacturing as many points this year?

I look for this to be a close game. Much like last years contest that was 7-7 late in the 4th until NW scored late.

I think this one probably deserves it's own thread.
Page is currently tied for first in the Metro at 2-0 after big margin victories over SW and Ragsdale.
NW beat Western by 20 and lost to Grimsley by 40. Checking in at 1-1.
I imagined NW putting up more points against RJ Reynolds (17) and N Davidson (19). Why is NW not manufacturing as many points this year?

I look for this to be a close game. Much like last years contest that was 7-7 late in the 4th until NW scored late.
Page looks to be getting better as the season goes on and the young players slowly develop and gain experience. I also think this will be a close game that won't be decided until late. NW is a program that is pretty consistent and competitive. But for some reason, they can't seem to take the next step and go from good to great.

Reactions: PagePirates44
Page looks to be getting better as the season goes on and the young players slowly develop and gain experience. I also think this will be a close game that won't be decided until late. NW is a program that is pretty consistent and competitive. But for some reason, they can't seem to take the next step and go from good to great.
From what i've gathered over the years. They always have a guy or 2 who is really explosive and can make plays. But it's harder to come by in bunches, they never really have a stock pile of talent. To get to that next level you really have to be dominant at mostly every position, and especially on defense. A school with an ADM that large, you would think they would. I remember guys like Tyson Stewart, Martell Shaw, Reid Baxter, etc. But they didnt have much firepower help around them to get to that next level. But they have had a couple years here and there, where they did and they went deeper in the playoffs like in 2022 and 2013, but nothing next level like state title contention or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: fitguync30
From what i've gathered over the years. They always have a guy or 2 who is really explosive and can make plays. But it's harder to come by in bunches, they never really have a stock pile of talent. To get to that next level you really have to be dominant at mostly every position, and especially on defense. A school with an ADM that large, you would think they would. I remember guys like Tyson Stewart, Martell Shaw, Reid Baxter, etc. But they didnt have much firepower help around them to get to that next level. But they have had a couple years here and there, where they did and they went deeper in the playoffs like in 2022 and 2013, but nothing next level like state title contention or anything.
Does Guilford Co. have open enrollment? Just wondering if over the years Grimsley has picked off some players that should be going to other schools and this is why the Whirlies are 10 levels above all the other schools in Guilford Co.

Does Guilford Co. have open enrollment? Just wondering if over the years Grimsley has picked off some players that should be going to other schools and this is why the Whirlies are 10 levels above all the other schools in Guilford Co.
No, there is no open enrollment in Guilford County. Grimsley has been getting kids to transfer in for around 5 years now. I think it should slow down considerably since the AD left. But, they have been getting kids to come in from all over the county. At this point, its part of football... I think its impossible to not have 2-4 transfers come into your school for natural reasons. But when they start coming in 10+ kids in a summer, it starts to look really suspicious.

NW Guilford was blessed for the past 3 years to have Tanner Ballou as their QB. Easily the best QB to walk the halls in the history of NW Guilford. It's interesting to see how they've faired without him this year.

Reactions: nwguilford007
No, there is no open enrollment in Guilford County. Grimsley has been getting kids to transfer in for around 5 years now. I think it should slow down considerably since the AD left. But, they have been getting kids to come in from all over the county. At this point, its part of football... I think its impossible to not have 2-4 transfers come into your school for natural reasons. But when they start coming in 10+ kids in a summer, it starts to look really suspicious.
I am just going to ask, if they don’t have open enrollment, I guess these 10+ kids made a bonafide move?

I am just going to ask, if they don’t have open enrollment, I guess these 10+ kids made a bonafide move?
By the way, I was mostly talking about years ago when they had droves of football players transfer in a single summer.

I really hate talking about the whole Grimsley transfers topic, as a whole. It is what it is at this point, but there has been some consequences lately (at least in my eyes). I'm pretty sure there was a county wide state-level investigation this summer and they made the AD and asst. AD step down (retire, was the word they used) because of it. It wasn't reported in the news anywhere for some unknown reason. They most likely wanted it to be swept under the rug as much as possible.
Just want to put it out there, that this is my assumption of the situation and I don't care much either way why it happened, just stating that it happened.

By the way, I was mostly talking about years ago when they had droves of football players transfer in a single summer.

I really hate talking about the whole Grimsley transfers topic, as a whole. It is what it is at this point, but there has been some consequences lately (at least in my eyes). I'm pretty sure there was a county wide state-level investigation this summer and they made the AD and asst. AD step down (retire, was the word they used) because of it. It wasn't reported in the news anywhere for some unknown reason. They most likely wanted it to be swept under the rug as much as possible.
Just want to put it out there, that this is my assumption of the situation and I don't care much either way why it happened, just stating that it happened.
As you said previously, it is natural for a few kids to move from one school to another as their families move, etc. But when the number gets to be more than a few, something fishy is going on. Didn't Northern Guilford have similar issues some years ago? I remember that school opening and within a very short time they were making deep playoff runs and that is unusual. It normally takes a new school some time to build up a football program. My main issue with all this is giving in to kids and allowing them instant gratification. If a very good player is in the Western Guilford district, then that is where he goes and plays football, period. Unless there is some very unusual extenuating circumstances. The attitude of "Western is pretty lousy and I want to play for a winner" is not a valid excuse. That just means you need to work harder, get better and help build that program. And it is 2024 with social media all over the place. If you are an exceptional player on a bad Western team, the college scouts will easily find you and recruit you. We aren't living in 1970.

Reactions: PagePirates44
There is special classes that guilford offers that allows kids to transfer. These classes are only offered at that particular school. All you have to do is know what that certain class is and sign up and you can go. They are mostly classes like ROTC, Agricultuire, and some foreign languages like Chinese and Hebrew. northwest is the only school in county that doesn’t offer an “exclusive” class like this.

As you said previously, it is natural for a few kids to move from one school to another as their families move, etc. But when the number gets to be more than a few, something fishy is going on. Didn't Northern Guilford have similar issues some years ago? I remember that school opening and within a very short time they were making deep playoff runs and that is unusual. It normally takes a new school some time to build up a football program. My main issue with all this is giving in to kids and allowing them instant gratification. If a very good player is in the Western Guilford district, then that is where he goes and plays football, period. Unless there is some very unusual extenuating circumstances. The attitude of "Western is pretty lousy and I want to play for a winner" is not a valid excuse. That just means you need to work harder, get better and help build that program. And it is 2024 with social media all over the place. If you are an exceptional player on a bad Western team, the college scouts will easily find you and recruit you. We aren't living in 1970.
I agree but if you are a stud you’re not getting better going against bad western players every day at practice….gonna be more beneficial for you to go somewhere where you can compete every day at practice. Not saying it’s right or wrong

Just my opinion I don’t think our offensive system places to our strengths. I think a wing t system could help us get a lil deeper…..just my opinion

Just my opinion I don’t think our offensive system places to our strengths. I think a wing t system could help us get a lil deeper…..just my opinion
yeah, but everyone knows the Wing T doesn't win at the 4A level... UNLESS you have some freak athlete runners like New Bern did.

I agree but if you are a stud you’re not getting better going against bad western players every day at practice….gonna be more beneficial for you to go somewhere where you can compete every day at practice. Not saying it’s right or wrong
I get what you are saying, but it is just better, in my humble opinion, if the talent is spread around and games are more competitive. When there is not one juggernaut like a Grimsley or East Forsyth. Sure, credit to those programs for putting in the work to get to where they are. I just hate seeing kids go from bad or mediocre teams to Grimsley or East for no other reason than the winning. And a player from Western still gets to show his talents to college scouts against stiff competition when they play teams like Grimsley or NW.

yeah, but everyone knows the Wing T doesn't win at the 4A level... UNLESS you have some freak athlete runners like New Bern did.
Well I think our best chance and a great season for us is 3rd round….we’re not gonna win a state
Title in football unless we go out and get a heck of transfer portal coach….we got a lot of kids in our school and probablh should be better than we are but not by much…..our kids are pretty soft to to be honest

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT