ADVERTISEMENT

Nov. 3 2A Games with Playoff Implications

tarheelg

Sep 21, 2001
Creedmoor, NC
Everybody don't forget that before the 2A/2AA Split, then the East/West split in both subdivisions, the first thing to worry about when seeding the playoffs is which 64 teams actually get in...There are a bunch of games this Friday night will affect those last few wild card spots, and of course a bunch of 1/2 seed positions are not yet determined. Don't forget that teams in the low 50s to mid 60s that are currently projecting as in the playoffs could win this Friday night and still drop out of the top 63....teams currently out of the top 63 this Friday could lose and still move up, the way the strength of schedule works. Here is an overview of which games this Friday night will have implications for the teams on the playoff bubble:

It's Top 63, not Top 64 by the way because we know that whoever finishes 2nd in the Mid-State 2A will be out of the Top 64 (Graham technically controls their own destiny but most would say that destiny is already controlled because they play Reidsville; assuming a Graham loss means the ball is in Carrboro's court, if they beat Cummings, they would finish 2nd, if they lose, then Graham would go, even if they lose to Reidsville by 100

-Other teams to keep an eye on that could easily drop out:

-Andrews has been seemingly safely in the Top 63 all year, but then they lost to Trinity...they took a huge plunge in maxpreps ranking, and now have to play Wheatmore, who many in the Triad feel will beat Andrews, if this happens, Andrews is in danger of missing the playoffs

-James Kenan snuck into 63rd place for the last wild card spot a week ago and this past week hung on to #63 again, they play Wallace-Rose Hill, a win would all but lock them in, but most don't see that happening, but with the way strength of schedule plays in, they just need to not lose by as much as the computer thinks they should, and they'll be in the playoffs

-Goldsboro just snuck back in last week, all the way up to #59, but they play Midway, to stay in the playoffs, they better not only win but score as much as they can, as their SOS will take a hit with Midway ranked #100

-Ashe Co. is in the top 63 for the first time all year, but has a big game with Starmount; if they win they should be solidly in, if they lose, they might can stay in depending on everybody else, but if they get blown out, things won't be looking too good on the homefront for the Huskies

-West Iredell needs to at least stay close with Foard, a win would clinch a spot but a blowout loss could drop them below #63

-Trask is in similar situation to West Iredell, playing SW Onslow, winning might seem like a long shot but just keeping it close with a team ranked that far ahead should help

-A bunch of teams are on the outside looking in right now that could jump up:

-Warren Co. is #67 and has a bye week, but could rise up to 63 depending on what others ranked in the 60s do, probably also helps them (and Southern Vance) that Bunn & Roanoke Rapids play each other this week, which in a matter of speaking should help the entire Northern Carolina Conference's strength of schedule

-#69 Southern Vance needs to dominate Northern Vance and have some other things go their way

-#68 North Lincoln needs to have a great showing against Bandys, while Bandys can't afford a bad night themselves only ranked #56

-#66 West Lincoln better try to run the score up on Lake Norman Charter because they won't be getting any SOS points

-#65 North Lenoir needs to pull a huge upset over Kinston, but again, will improve SOS just for playing the game

-#66 Washington gets an SOS boost playing West Craven but even keeping it close might not be enough if these other bubble teams around them have good nights

Last edited:
Everybody don't forget that before the 2A/2AA Split, then the East/West split in both subdivisions, the first thing to worry about when seeding the playoffs is which 64 teams actually get in...There are a bunch of games this Friday night will affect those last few wild card spots, and of course a bunch of 1/2 seed positions are not yet determined. Don't forget that teams in the low 50s to mid 60s that are currently projecting as in the playoffs could win this Friday night and still drop out of the top 63....teams currently out of the top 63 this Friday could lose and still move up, the way the strength of schedule worksHere is an overview of which games this Friday night will have implications on 1st/2nd place conference finish for auto bids and may affect the teams with maxpreps rankings near the cut line:

It's Top 63, not Top 64 by the way because we know that whoever finishes 2nd in the Mid-State 2A will be out of the Top 64 (Graham technically controls their own destiny but most would say that destiny is already controlled because they play Reidsville; assuming a Graham loss means the ball is in Carrboro's court, if they beat Cummings, they would finish 2nd, if they lose, then Graham would go, even if they lose to Reidsville by 100

-Other teams to keep an eye on that could easily drop out:

-Andrews has been seemingly safely in the Top 63 all year, but then they lost to Trinity...they took a huge plunge in maxpreps ranking, and now have to play Wheatmore, who many in the Triad feel will beat Andrews, if this happens, Andrews is in danger of missing the playoffs

-James Kenan snuck into 63rd place for the last wild card spot a week ago and this past week hung on to #63 again, they play Wallace-Rose Hill, a win would all but lock them in, but most don't see that happening, but with the way strength of schedule plays in, they just need to not lose by as much as the computer thinks they should, and they'll be in the playoffs

-Goldsboro just snuck back in last week, all the way up to #59, but they play Midway, to stay in the playoffs, they better not only win but score as much as they can, as their SOS will take a hit with Midway ranked #100

-Ashe Co. is in the top 63 for the first time all year, but has a big game with Starmount; if they win they should be solidly in, if they lose, they might can stay in depending on everybody else, but if they get blown out, things won't be looking too good on the homefront for the Huskies

-West Iredell needs to at least stay close with Foard, a win would clinch a spot but a blowout loss could drop them below #63

-Trask is in similar situation to West Iredell, playing SW Onslow, winning might seem like a long shot but just keeping it close with a team ranked that far ahead should help

-A bunch of teams are on the outside looking in right now that could jump up:

-Warren Co. is #67 and has a bye week, but could rise up to 63 depending on what others ranked in the 60s do, probably also helps them (and Southern Vance) that Bunn & Roanoke Rapids play each other this week, which in a matter of speaking should help the entire Northern Carolina Conference's strength of schedule

-#69 Southern Vance needs to dominate Northern Vance and have some other things go their way

-#68 North Lincoln needs to have a great showing against Bandys, while Bandys can't afford a bad night themselves only ranked #56

-#66 West Lincoln better try to run the score up on Lake Norman Charter because they won't be getting any SOS points

-#65 North Lenoir needs to pull a huge upset over Kinston, but again, will improve SOS just for playing the game

-#66 Washington gets an SOS boost playing West Craven but even keeping it close might not be enough if these other bubble teams around them have good nights
where do you have East Davidson?

We (West Craven) just did get past Kinston 25-23 stopping them on a 2 pt try with 32 seconds left in game. Washington gave Kinston a good game so I see no reason this game with Washington wont be close. I'm going to wait till Saturday to seriously think about playoffs. We lost 13 kids to injury before we played our first conf game this year. Lost another because of personal reasons but to have clinched a Conf title this past friday night made me really proud. This team has never quit.

I'll add North Lenoir beat Ayden Grifton so it would not surprise me to see them upset Kinston. I'll cheer on North Lenoir since they helped us.

Reactions: tarheelg
where do you have East Davidson?

East Davidson is #72 on maxpreps rankings right now, and idle this week so I suppose it is mathematically possible they could jump into the Top 63 but I wouldn't bet on it; Warren Co. at 67 and idle has so many fewer teams to leapfrog to get into the Top 63....anybody on the outside looking in attempting to get in needs to: 1. be playing a good team this week, and 2. win the game...ED's only hope is that every team in the bubble range loses, in running clock for entire second half blowout fashion, and then they could slide up from 72 to 63....possible yes, but you might have better odds of getting struck by lightning twice

Also, a bunch of games this week will be played among teams that will both (most likely) be in the playoffs, but getting 1 (or more) home games is at stake; huge difference in being seeded with the tier of 1s, 2s, or wild cards (the only 3 in 2A or 2AA should be Salisbury, possible for North Wilkes or Ashe Co. but unlikely)

Conference seed implications:
-No Carolina: Bunn @ Roanoke Rapids: Winner will be #2 seed from conference behind South Granville, probably 99% chance the loser should still be in as wild card

-Rocky River: Forest Hills @ Anson: Anson clinches #2 with win (behind Mount Pleasant), loss opens door for East Montgomery, provided they take care of CATA

-E Central: East Duplin @ Clinton: East Duplin clinches #1 with a win, we know Clinton is solid, but how much do they have left in the tank after coming so close to beating WRH last week then seeing it slip away? A Dark Horse win would really upset the apple cart in 2AA East projections

-Coastal 8: Trask @ SW Onslow, Richlands @ Dixon: SW Onslow clinches 1 with a win, Richlands clinches 2 with a win, Trask win forces a three way, unless Richlands loses, which would make them at best a wild card, and at worst, possibly out of the Top 63, by the way, if there is a 3 way tie, the assumption is that Richlands would go 2AA and be a 1, then Trask would be a 1 in 2A, and SWO would be a wild card, SWO just needs to win this game and they'll be seeded toward to the top of the 2A East among the tier of conference champions

-Central Carolina: North Davidson @ Ledford: clear cut: winner is #1, loser is #2

-Nwe Foothills: Patton @ Hibritien: clear cut: winner is #1, loser is #2

-Swe: Shelby @ South Point: clear cut: winner is #1, loser is #2

-Ea Plains: Nash Central clinches #2 with win over North Johnston, loss leaves door open for Beddingfield, who needs a win at SW Edgecombe, which would force a 3 way tie if Nash Ce also wins

-3 Rivers: Whiteville @ South Columbus: S Columbus clinches #1 with a win, Whiteville can force a tie with a win, unless East Bladen were to lose to West Bladen, then Whiteville would be #1

-PAC 7: Wheatmore @ Andrews: Winner is #2, loser could be a wild card, but with a loss, Andrews could fall awfully close to that cut line and wind up on the wrong side of the playoff bubble

-Nea/Coastal: Hertford @ Bertie, Currituck @ First Flight, all four teams at 2-2 in conference currently in 4 way tie for 2nd, one of those four will get #2 seed, whichever two pick up wins this week will finish 3-2, and whichever one won the head to head meeting between the two that win this week will be the #2 seed from this league (behind Northeastern, who figures to be seeded at the very top, (or least really close) or whichever East bracket they go into, been assuming all year they'd be small 2A, but last year they were not far from the cut line

Also, a bunch of games this week will be played among teams that will both (most likely) be in the playoffs, but getting 1 (or more) home games is at stake; huge difference in being seeded with the tier of 1s, 2s, or wild cards (the only 3 in 2A or 2AA should be Salisbury, possible for North Wilkes or Ashe Co. but unlikely)

Conference seed implications:
-No Carolina: Bunn @ Roanoke Rapids: Winner will be #2 seed from conference behind South Granville, probably 99% chance the loser should still be in as wild card

-Rocky River: Forest Hills @ Anson: Anson clinches #2 with win (behind Mount Pleasant), loss opens door for East Montgomery, provided they take care of CATA

-E Central: East Duplin @ Clinton: East Duplin clinches #1 with a win, we know Clinton is solid, but how much do they have left in the tank after coming so close to beating WRH last week then seeing it slip away? A Dark Horse win would really upset the apple cart in 2AA East projections

-Coastal 8: Trask @ SW Onslow, Richlands @ Dixon: SW Onslow clinches 1 with a win, Richlands clinches 2 with a win, Trask win forces a three way, unless Richlands loses, which would make them at best a wild card, and at worst, possibly out of the Top 63, by the way, if there is a 3 way tie, the assumption is that Richlands would go 2AA and be a 1, then Trask would be a 1 in 2A, and SWO would be a wild card, SWO just needs to win this game and they'll be seeded toward to the top of the 2A East among the tier of conference champions

-Central Carolina: North Davidson @ Ledford: clear cut: winner is #1, loser is #2

-Nwe Foothills: Patton @ Hibritien: clear cut: winner is #1, loser is #2

-Swe: Shelby @ South Point: clear cut: winner is #1, loser is #2

-Ea Plains: Nash Central clinches #2 with win over North Johnston, loss leaves door open for Beddingfield, who needs a win at SW Edgecombe, which would force a 3 way tie if Nash Ce also wins

-3 Rivers: Whiteville @ South Columbus: S Columbus clinches #1 with a win, Whiteville can force a tie with a win, unless East Bladen were to lose to West Bladen, then Whiteville would be #1

-PAC 7: Wheatmore @ Andrews: Winner is #2, loser could be a wild card, but with a loss, Andrews could fall awfully close to that cut line and wind up on the wrong side of the playoff bubble

-Nea/Coastal: Hertford @ Bertie, Currituck @ First Flight, all four teams at 2-2 in conference currently in 4 way tie for 2nd, one of those four will get #2 seed, whichever two pick up wins this week will finish 3-2, and whichever one won the head to head meeting between the two that win this week will be the #2 seed from this league (behind Northeastern, who figures to be seeded at the very top, (or least really close) or whichever East bracket they go into, been assuming all year they'd be small 2A, but last year they were not far from the cut line
Great info g. I have a question on something you said in earlier post. Would North Davidson playing Ledford and Shelby playing South Point help the SOS for all the teams in their conferences?

Great info g. I have a question on something you said in earlier post. Would North Davidson playing Ledford and Shelby playing South Point help the SOS for all the teams in their conferences?

I wouldn't see it helping a conference team unless they have defeated the winner of Shelby/SP or ND/Ledford. In the SP/Shelby scenario both are undefeated in conference so I do see any value to others in them playing.

The short answer is yes, because everybody in the conference's strength of schedule goes up when the top two play each other...in leagues where the top played many weeks ago, they already got that boost like in the East Central when ED & WRH played 5 weeks ago or more

If you finish second in your conference, it makes absolutely no difference what your maxpreps rating might be, you are in the playoffs.

I would also speculate that the reason we see both Goldsboro & James Kenan now in line to be in the top 63 is because Clinton & WRH played each other last week...and the whole league will pick up even more this week with Clinton & ED playing....JK just needs to hang on and not lose by more than the ranking computer thinks it should lose by to WRH and they'll be on the of the last few wild cards in

Reactions: daagoob
No...but in 2011, they were announced until Friday afternoon, the day before seeding Saturday so still not holding my breath waiting for them

Does maxpreps have the rankings for ALL of 2a ball? I have the app on my phone,and all I can get is the top 25 2a rankings

Will the MaxPreps rankings now be used? The pairings will be out before MaxPreps normally updates the rankings!! I have same issue as TVilleDawg also.

They rank 1-113, might have to use actual computer instead of mobile app on phone...and yes, I've already emailed a couple of contacts I have at the NCHSAA about the rankings....While maxpreps only updates their rankings viewable to the public once or twice a week, their computer is constantly refreshing every time a final score gets entered....The NCHSAA will get finalized rankings late Friday night or early Saturday morning before maxpreps makes them public to do the seeding....of course we the public are clueless unless the NCHSAA posts them...With volleyball, they posted the most recent/updated maxpreps ranking at the same time they posted the preliminary brackets on seeding day....would love it if they'd post those rankings an hour or so early so every team's bracketologists among us can go ahead and run updates on what they should look like and be ready to contact them with a complaint if something doesn't look right...and all of this is assuming that we get ADM numbers first....Not sure which we'll get first, this year's ADMs or the final maxpreps rankings that will be used to do the seedings

Maxpreps rankings are strange,with the app I can see the rankings of all the HS combined in NC that's 423 schools,but only see top 25 in 2a

I like Simmons ratings better than maxpreps
I generally trust Simmons more than Maxpreps when comparing teams, but since Simmons' takes last year into consideration, they can't use them to seed the playoffs, by the way it seems that maxpreps is the same as Calpreps incase anybody hadn't noticed

I would tweak it that a #2 must be in the top 64 to get in.
Yes, I can get behind that, definitely from a split conference....to fix the Mid-State 2A Conf football issue though, just change the minimum number of teams in a league for two auto-bids to 6 instead of 5

Good choice with the Ashe County game.

I expect them and Starmount to have a thriller on Friday. Both teams need the win but Ashe does a little more. Starmount's always been a thorn to Ashe even in the good days a few years back so I expect them to be a little more hyped than usual but they gotta be able to be ready to hit because Starmount sure will be ready.

In Ashe's defense they have one of the toughest non conference slate's in the area. Besides Avery County they had West Caldwell (down a bit but still very athletic,) then they had Watauga and Hibriten. Yikes.. If that helps in any form then they willl have an edge on some of the lower end schools.

Question regarding the Maxpreps seeding. Normally maxpreps releases their rankings on Sunday at the earliest, so will we have to wait till then to see the matchups, will they release them on Saturday or will they use this week's rankings and not figure in Friday's games?

I would hope and expect Friday games to be included.

Question regarding the Maxpreps seeding. Normally maxpreps releases their rankings on Sunday at the earliest, so will we have to wait till then to see the matchups, will they release them on Saturday or will they use this week's rankings and not figure in Friday's games?

I would hope and expect Friday games to be included.

While maxpreps only updates their rankings viewable to the public once or twice a week, their computer is constantly refreshing every time a final score gets entered....The NCHSAA will get finalized rankings late Friday night or early Saturday morning before maxpreps makes them public to do the seeding....of course we the public are clueless unless the NCHSAA posts them...With volleyball, they posted the most recent/updated maxpreps ranking at the same time they posted the preliminary brackets on seeding day....would love it if they'd post those rankings an hour or so early so every team's bracketologists among us can go ahead and run updates on what they should look like and be ready to contact them with a complaint if something doesn't look right...and all of this is assuming that we get ADM numbers first....Not sure which we'll get first, this year's ADMs or the final maxpreps rankings that will be used to do the seedings...I did confirm with my contacts at the NCHSAA that yes, indeed, this week's games will figure into the final rankings used for seeding

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Thanks tarheelg. I was clueless how this would work. Great to know that all games count. Would not be right as many big games as there is Friday.

Reactions: beamer24
Split conferences with 4 or less teams in a division....the 1A portion of Northern Carolina only has Louisburg & Granville Central, GC will be seeded with the 1s even though they're below .500....or the 1A/2A league with Mtn Heritage, Madison, and Owen...they're only guaranteed one automatic bid.....in 4A, there's a 3A/4A split conference with two 4A teams, looks like one will finish 1-10 and the other 0-11, but the 1-10 team is the "4A division winner" from that league and will not only make the playoffs, but could get a 2nd Rd home game after a 1st Rd bye....that's beyond ridiculous...of course they could opt out of the playoffs...very well could be facing a 2nd half running clock at home in 2nd Rd, would be embarrassing

Split conferences with 4 or less teams in a division....the 1A portion of Northern Carolina only has Louisburg & Granville Central, GC will be seeded with the 1s even though they're below .500....or the 1A/2A league with Mtn Heritage, Madison, and Owen...they're only guaranteed one automatic bid.....in 4A, there's a 3A/4A split conference with two 4A teams, looks like one will finish 1-10 and the other 0-11, but the 1-10 team is the "4A division winner" from that league and will not only make the playoffs, but could get a 2nd Rd home game after a 1st Rd bye....that's beyond ridiculous...of course they could opt out of the playoffs...very well could be facing a 2nd half running clock at home in 2nd Rd, would be embarrassing
So, Madison and Owen are out?

Unless one of them jumps into the top 63 in maxpreps rankings (or top 64 if the 2nd place team in Mid-State gets into the top 64, only happening if Graham beats Reidsville, and there are probably better odds of the same person getting struck by lightning twice on the same day than that upset), then yes Madison & Owen are playing their last game this Friday (assuming I understand the seeding rules correctly)

Unless one of them jumps into the top 63 in maxpreps rankings (or top 64 if the 2nd place team in Mid-State gets into the top 64, only happening if Graham beats Reidsville, and there are probably better odds of the same person getting struck by lightning twice on the same day than that upset), then yes Madison & Owen are playing their last game this Friday (assuming I understand the seeding rules correctly)
Thanks.

Edited to note: The chances of Graham beating Reidsville are much less than the odds of the same person getting struck by lightning ten times in the same day.

I generally trust Simmons more than Maxpreps when comparing teams, but since Simmons' takes last year into consideration, they can't use them to seed the playoffs, by the way it seems that maxpreps is the same as Calpreps incase anybody hadn't noticed

I would think by the time the playoff seedings arrive, that any trace of last year's factors would have been eliminated. If any weight from last year's season remained, it would be miniscule at this point.

While maxpreps only updates their rankings viewable to the public once or twice a week, their computer is constantly refreshing every time a final score gets entered....The NCHSAA will get finalized rankings late Friday night or early Saturday morning before maxpreps makes them public to do the seeding....of course we the public are clueless unless the NCHSAA posts them...With volleyball, they posted the most recent/updated maxpreps ranking at the same time they posted the preliminary brackets on seeding day....would love it if they'd post those rankings an hour or so early so every team's bracketologists among us can go ahead and run updates on what they should look like and be ready to contact them with a complaint if something doesn't look right...and all of this is assuming that we get ADM numbers first....Not sure which we'll get first, this year's ADMs or the final maxpreps rankings that will be used to do the seedings...I did confirm with my contacts at the NCHSAA that yes, indeed, this week's games will figure into the final rankings used for seeding

I had noticed the similarity. However, ADs should check both sites to make sure that their teams' scores have been reported correctly. Last Saturday, I noticed that MaxPreps had the SP/Chase score correct at 69-0, but CalPreps had the score as 48-0 which was the 3rd qtr score. I emailed them and it has been corrected. However, since the projection was 62-0, an incorrect score could have negatively affected our ranking (i.e. Shelby possibly could have been #1 :eek:).

Yes, in 2014, first game of the year, I was on the sideline at the South Granville @ Rocky Mount game, there is still time on the clock in 4th Quarter, RM leading SG 30-0, during a timeout I check my phone to check other scores and see on about 4 different sites/feeds I get scores from are all reporting: Final RM 40, SG 0...Probably had one numbskull at the game affiliated with the AP prematurely reporting a final, hit a 4 instead of a 3 on the keypad, and next thing you know, 8 or 10 other sites are sharing, retweeting a score 10 points off in a game that's not even final yet....yes, before the days of maxpreps rankings mattering, but even perception among fans....A loss is a loss but 30-0 doesn't look as bad as 40-0

I would think by the time the playoff seedings arrive, that any trace of last year's factors would have been eliminated. If any weight from last year's season remained, it would be miniscule at this point.
I don't know...for Simmons, I get the impression that if two teams played the exact same schedule, and had identical results against the same 10 or 11 teams, but team A started the year ranked 3 points higher than team B, then team A would finish the year ranked 3 points higher than team B...but with maxpreps, they would both start off on equal footing, and if both played the same 11 teams and had identical results they would end up on level footing...and by the way, in this situation, I believe that's the only place where the NCHSAA would use a coin flip or draw this year, is if there is an unbreakable tie in the maxpreps rankings (have been assuming that strength of schedule could be used to break ties in those rankings, but what if SOS is identical??)

We (West Craven) just did get past Kinston 25-23 stopping them on a 2 pt try with 32 seconds left in game. Washington gave Kinston a good game so I see no reason this game with Washington wont be close. I'm going to wait till Saturday to seriously think about playoffs. We lost 13 kids to injury before we played our first conf game this year. Lost another because of personal reasons but to have clinched a Conf title this past friday night made me really proud. This team has never quit.

I'll add North Lenoir beat Ayden Grifton so it would not surprise me to see them upset Kinston. I'll cheer on North Lenoir since they helped us.
Yes, there seems to be a lot of parity among the top six teams in this conference, definitely something to be said for getting through unscathed if the Eagles can take care of business this Friday against Washington..probably a bigger game than some realize because even though 1st place is clinched, you don't want to kill your momentum with a loss heading into the postseason

G could you do me a favor? could you list MaxPreps #58 thru say #68 and out beside the school that whether in your opinion if they made it they would be 2A, 2AA or could go either way. Thanks

#58 HP Andrews -5.3
#59 Goldsboro -5.3
#60 Ashe County -5.4
#61 West Iredell -5.6
#62 Heide Trask -5.7
#63 James Kenan -6.7
#64 West Lincoln -7.2
#65 North Lenoir -7.5
#66 Washington -7.6
#67 Warren County -7.7
#68 North Lincoln -7.8
#69 Southern Vance -8.3
The gap between #62 and #63 is 1.0 which is larger than the other gaps. Who can best explain what that means?

Their exact formula is a secret, but it's the basis for roughly the point spreads they expect you to cover if you want to go up or down in the rankings...in terms of what it means for the last few wild card teams, it just means that James Kenan has less margin for error...this past week, they would have been the last wild card team, West Lincoln first one left out...JK is that much closer to being overtaken by West Lincoln, North Lenoir, and the others based on what happens this Friday night

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT