ADVERTISEMENT

North Surry Coach Quit

Great young man. He will bring new life and energy to the program. Great character and he will not play favorites.

Let's not take anything away from this young man. Money talks in all walks of life. The other applicants are pretty comfortable in life. North needed a change from the status quo and here it is. I am actually excited for the 1st time in years.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Wasn't he already on staff? If so then good for North Surry for keeping it in house. People whine over loyalty, well there is a reason people aren't loyal anymore. If you have someone in house, keep it in house! And stop whining over it's about money. Everything is about money.

Last edited:
He was in house he's been an assistant for 2 years now I think maybe more he was also an assistant at Surry Central for one season former QB at Mount Airy.

Wasn't he already on staff? If so then good for North Surry for keeping it in house. People whine over loyalty, well there is a reason people aren't loyal anymore and with that said stop whining over it's about money. Everything is about money.

He was, he was our TE and inside WR coach last year. Did a lot with the JV's when we could play. Also coached basketball too and was JV HC for them. He's a good dude.

We had 4 assistant coaches apply, solid number. I'm glad we stayed inside in my opinion we didn't need to go outside. Didnt hear who fully applied from the outside.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but his first year coaching was this past season. Graduated college in December. NS had multiple assistants apply with more experience and better relationships with the players. Hope he does well but I don’t see it happening. Truthfully, I thought Taylor was good, but someone didn’t have his back. Small town politics.

Reactions: RayFinkle27030
110%. All politics. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. Good assistant, not ready for a HC gig. But hey, if experience and qualifications don’t matter, at least I can apply for jobs I’m most definitely not qualified for with a good chance of getting them.
Did you every stop and think that North needed a drastic change? They were stuck in a cycle of beating who they were supposed to beat, losing to who they were supposed to lose to and losing most of the toss up games. Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Give him a chance. He has great character and came from a winning tradition. Thingsl needed to change.

Reactions: KW23
Y'all want to complain about small town politics but don't want to do anything to change it and probably have no issue if it would benefit you.

Not the place for names. Look at resumes of everyone who put their name in the “hat” for the job. Drinking beer in a dorm room this time last year does not equate to being a HC now.
How did you get the names and resumes? Where they released publicly? Did you see him drinking beer in a dorm room? I think this is small town gossip at its best. Do you have an ax to grind with him? If you have these answers then maybe you are part of the clic that didn't get the job and are not willing to give him a chance.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
I wonder how many folks turned the job down? Seemed like NS was going to hire the guy from Charlotte and that evidently fell apart. Regardless of how you get the job I hope he does well and NS can continue to improve.

I liked that they stayed in house as you should imo if you have a good candidate but after hearing more details I think it's a bit suspect to give such a big role to someone so young and inexperienced. I hope this works out in the long run but these hires typically don't work out and unfortunately it can be just as harmful to the coach as the team. Someone fresh out of college doesn't need this level of responsibility. Especially with all the expectations of being a beginning teacher and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayFinkle27030
So far this summer: big numbers, high energy, accountability and structure......and yes the former coach chose to quit, contrary to the ever present conspiracy theories

Reactions: greydog86
Probably so. How many coaches are on staff now? Heard several quit immediately. One or two since. Possibly one former HC back to be a mentor? Entire situation still smells fishy to me.
Dude I couldn't tell you I'm just trying to stir the pot real early but I will tell you this that coach you have was athlete at Mt Airy and very good give him a chance I think he may turn North program around heck rode by the school today saw a football bingo sighn on the front entrance I remember in 99 when Mt Airy hired a young coach and I said we won't go far and low and behold 23 years later he's hall of famer Smith I think will do well it may take time time

How is North Surry doing? All the players staying with the program and not transfering over to MT Airy.

How is North Surry doing? All the players staying with the program and not transfering over to MT Airy.

I went during the spring to two practices and numbers were decent, it surprised me. Haven't had a chance to go during the summer though as they are doing stuff in the mornings. I'll be around more closer to the season.

They had a bingo for the program last weekend and did quite well. I couldn't make it as I was working but North's parking lot was full.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT