ADVERTISEMENT

NIL in NC high school sports

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Saw HSOT report on a possible proposal not sure exactly the language of the proposal or what the stipulations would be but I’m not a fan. I feel like traditional high school athletics is the last pure form of sports we have left. If this goes thru what happens to small town football? Player motivation? The overall integrity of the game I don’t like it. It’s always been about the hometown pride, the legacy, the tradition, the grind of high school sports for me I said it before I rather watch a Wallace vs James Kenan rivalry game then Bishop Gorman vs St Thomas Aquinas. I hope this gets shot down and buried deep. Just my opinion

Last edited:
I actually got to back pedal a bit after getting/listening to some different viewpoints I see the positives it could bring to the smaller local communities and the kids themselves. I was looking at it from a larger scale which is easily corrupted. Why it’s good to keep an open mind and listen to other viewpoints look at things from different prospectives.

• Haha
Reactions: SWO4EVEr91
I actually got to back pedal a bit after getting/listening to some different viewpoints I see the positives it could bring to the smaller local communities and the kids themselves. I was looking at it from a larger scale which is easily corrupted. Why it’s good to keep an open mind and listen to other viewpoints look at things from different prospectives.
If we all as a society could take this same approach we’d all probably get along better. We don’t always have to agree but there are two sides to every story aka reasoning behind one’s own belief in their side. Nice point DH34.

If we all as a society could take this same approach we’d all probably get along better. We don’t always have to agree but there are two sides to every story aka reasoning behind one’s own belief in their side. Nice point DH34.
Yeah someone kind of broke it down and I was like damn you know what that does kind of make sense. I was just too busy focusing on the negatives……yeah society is too close minded no one wants to look at other viewpoints or hear different perspectives.

• Haha
Because they won‘t be able to identify their school or wear its uniform in any NIL advertising, the value will be limited to small town stars and those who get national press and are known widely. A Brandon Ingram or Sam Howell may benefit more widely because of the recruitment when they were in high school. We can all think of those.
But I’d wager that the average person in North Carolina wouldn’t have a clue who some of the names we bandy about on NC Preps are unless they live close by.
On the flip side, if they pass the open enrollment bill, how often will it be abused to attract players? What about the center or fullback who get nothing while the QB or running back take in the cash?
I see more problems than benefits. But I’m just a high school sports fan who sees these guys as the last line of defense in the greed our society seems bound to embrace.
And before anybody says it, capitalism is fine. Greed at all costs is a different concept.

Because they won‘t be able to identify their school or wear its uniform in any NIL advertising, the value will be limited to small town stars and those who get national press and are known widely. A Brandon Ingram or Sam Howell may benefit more widely because of the recruitment when they were in high school. We can all think of those.
But I’d wager that the average person in North Carolina wouldn’t have a clue who some of the names we bandy about on NC Preps are unless they live close by.
On the flip side, if they pass the open enrollment bill, how often will it be abused to attract players? What about the center or fullback who get nothing while the QB or running back take in the cash?
I see more problems than benefits. But I’m just a high school sports fan who sees these guys as the last line of defense in the greed our society seems bound to embrace.
And before anybody says it, capitalism is fine. Greed at all costs is a different concept.
It’s definitely a slippery slope anytime money is involved something innocent can get messy quick. I just hope the safeguards are strong and maybe even have a minimum GPA requirement so we can continue to push the importance of the meaning of student- athlete student coming first you don’t do the work in the class you can’t be eligible for any NIL program. The problems I was intial concerned will probably pop up more in the bigger cities Charlotte, Greensboro,Raleigh-Durham area etc. I don’t see a problem with kids helping advertise for local BBQ joint or used car dealerships or shirts/posters being sold in local stores. Helps the kids helps the local businesses win win for everyone long as it’s not abuse. The story that got my attention was a local store a few years back selling shirts with a popular players nickname and number. From what was told to me store made out pretty good over the players term but the kid didn’t see a dime.

It’s definitely a slippery slope anytime money is involved something innocent can get messy quick. I just hope the safeguards are strong and maybe even have a minimum GPA requirement so we can continue to push the importance of the meaning of student- athlete student coming first you don’t do the work in the class you can’t be eligible for any NIL program. The problems I was intial concerned will probably pop up more in the bigger cities Charlotte, Greensboro,Raleigh-Durham area etc. I don’t see a problem with kids helping advertise for local BBQ joint or used car dealerships or shirts/posters being sold in local stores. Helps the kids helps the local businesses win win for everyone long as it’s not abuse. The story that got my attention was a local store a few years back selling shirts with a popular players nickname and number. From what was told to me store made out pretty good over the players term but the kid didn’t see a dime.
That’s absolutely a concern. But with the language in this bill, the kid still wouldn’t see a dime. The player couldn’t benefit from using the school’s name or jersey. So unless it was a generic shirt with the player’s name and perhaps number, no benefit.

Saw HSOT report on a possible proposal not sure exactly the language of the proposal or what the stipulations would be but I’m not a fan. I feel like traditional high school athletics is the last pure form of sports we have left. If this goes thru what happens to small town football? Player motivation? The overall integrity of the game I don’t like it. It’s always been about the hometown pride, the legacy, the tradition, the grind of high school sports for me I said it before I rather watch a Wallace vs James Kenan rivalry game then Bishop Gorman vs St Thomas Aquinas. I hope this gets shot down and buried deep. Just my opinion

It will always be about hometown pride and tradition in certain areas throughout the country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dogs79
my opinion really does not equate to the high school level but more so college, Angel Reese and some of her teammates are the top 3 of 4 earners in NIL in womens sports with Olivia Dunne being the other, Reese and Van Lith would be lottery picks in the WNBA but staying in college would be more financially beneficial. Does not make sense to me. That is the sole reason, Bacot, and Leaky came back to school also.

That being said I am not opposed to players getting some form of compensation other than the free ride they are already getting, but they have turned college sports into the wild wild west, with NIL and the portal. I dont blame Roy Willims and Jay Wright one bit for retiring.

my opinion really does not equate to the high school level but more so college, Angel Reese and some of her teammates are the top 3 of 4 earners in NIL in womens sports with Olivia Dunne being the other, Reese and Van Lith would be lottery picks in the WNBA but staying in college would be more financially beneficial. Does not make sense to me. That is the sole reason, Bacot, and Leaky came back to school also.

That being said I am not opposed to players getting some form of compensation other than the free ride they are already getting, but they have turned college sports into the wild wild west, with NIL and the portal. I dont blame Roy Willims and Jay Wright one bit for retiring.
As far as college goes, it's correcting something that should have been fixed a long time ago. You can't make millions of dollars off of athletes then prohibit them from making money off their name and likeness. If the NCAA didn't kick the problem down the road until it finally reached it's dead end, maybe they would have a better solution then what they had to settle with.

Welcome to a new world of recruiting.

"Why go to school A when the school B has an alumni that will pay all these kids to be in a tv commercial?"

"Im transferring to School C because my friends dad is paying the kids 500$ to come hang out at his car dealership every Saturday and sign a few autographs, when this school doesnt pay me anything"

Reactions: ohio tarheels
As far as college goes, it's correcting something that should have been fixed a long time ago. You can't make millions of dollars off of athletes then prohibit them from making money off their name and likeness. If the NCAA didn't kick the problem down the road until it finally reached it's dead end, maybe they would have a better solution then what they had to settle with.
they over corrected one problem and created a circus show in the process. Amatuer sports is dead.

Amatuer sports stopped being amatuer sports when it became a billion dollar business without allowing the actual players that make the revenue to make any money for themselves.
I have run an American Legion Baseball program for years. Have always used HS coaches to coach. I have told them all we were crazy doing Legion and not some form of travel ball. There are many people making 6 figures + running travel ball teams. I know softball and soccer are the same. So you are correct in billions made of amateur sports.

I have run an American Legion Baseball program for years. Have always used HS coaches to coach. I have told them all we were crazy doing Legion and not some form of travel ball. There are many people making 6 figures + running travel ball teams. I know softball and soccer are the same. So you are correct in billions made of amateur sports.
I grew up going to Legion games. Some of the most exciting, best sporting events I have attended. Legion is a dinosaur. I remember a team making up games and with the playoffs playing everyday except for two or three over a nearly forty day period and they cut the roster at the playoffs.

A player got drafted and the Legion was upset he did not come back and play his post senior season with them. The Legion did not celebrate him being drafted but chastised him. They felt he "owed" it to the program. I realized then that it was time to move on.

I grew up going to Legion games. Some of the most exciting, best sporting events I have attended. Legion is a dinosaur. I remember a team making up games and with the playoffs playing everyday except for two or three over a nearly forty day period and they cut the roster at the playoffs.

A player got drafted and the Legion was upset he did not come back and play his post senior season with them. The Legion did not celebrate him being drafted but chastised him. They felt he "owed" it to the program. I realized then that it was time to move on.

You been to the World Series here in Shelby? It is a lot of fun!

Reactions: Maiden Creek
You been to the World Series here in Shelby? It is a lot of fun!
I am usually not in NC during that time. Only time for me is 1981 ALWS in Sumter SC. Going to try to schedule a day or two in Shelby for that in the next few years.

I was a huge Legion fan and supporter at one time. Some of the best sports "events" I was at were Legion state title series in the 1970's and 80's.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I have been to the museum and fields at Williamsport. The LLWS is on the bucket list. It seems as I knock one off another item hops into the bucket.
About 20 years ago, I went back to back years to Williamsport. No admission fee, just passed the donation buckets. Hot dogs were a dollar and drinks were like .50 cents. If it is still similar, good luck finding hotel room. But definitely glad I went.

Last one on my bucket list is Omaha. I had planned to go this year, but some surgery I am having next week will keep me from traveling for about a month.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT