ADVERTISEMENT

NH hires coach.....

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
Earl Smith. I heard about this a week ago but now it's done. Not sure how I would feel about this if I was a NH fan.

If it is true, which I have heard the same rumors, it would be a great hire. 16 years at Millbrook, 2 years at NH, 5-6 years at Wake Forest Rolesville. Multiple 11 win seasons. Hoggard better get busy hiring Braswell's replacement when he retires in March. NH Fan's feel great about this hire, should scare the Shipyard crowd. Hope it's true!!!!!

Just Googled Earl Smith and found he was named to the " NCHSAA 100 Coaches To Remember". The following was the nomination to that honor:

Multiple stops in 32 years as a head coach, most recently from 2004 to '08 at Wake Forest-Rolesville where his teams won three straight conference titles in football…also served stints at New Hanover and Millbrook and was very successful with those programs…11 time conference coach of the year and the NCHSAA's Harvey Reid Male Coach of the Year in 2009…head coach of East squad in the North Carolina Coaches Association East-West football game in 1995.

Port - As a New Hanover fan, I can assure you that I could not care less about how you think I should feel about the hire.

However, if you really want to know how I feel about the hire, I will tell you. It is a home run for New Hanover. Period. Paragraph. End of discussion.

- Selected by the NCHSAA as one of their top 100 coaches in any sport over the first 100 years of the NCHSAA
- Statewide Coach of the Year
- 164 - 49 record at Millbrook with 10 conference championships and 14 playoff appearances
- 10 time conference coach of the year at Millbrook
- 2 time Wake County coach of the year at Millbrook
- 48 - 20 with 3 conference championships at WF Rolesville
- East v West Coach
- Shrine Bowl Coach
- As AD at Millbrook won the statewide Wachovia Cup for best athletic program in the state
- 12 10 win seasons at Millbrook and WF Rolesville
- 9 11 win seasons
- 1 loosing record in his last 27 years
- 237 - 96 overall (.711) and 140 - 35 (.80) in conference games
- Many players sent to major D1 programs
- Many players drafted into the NFL
- Took a NHHS program that was 2 - 47 and in complete shambles in the five years before he came to NHHS in 2000 and went 11 - 11 over two years

I found all that on line today. In addition, I could not help but notice when I was reading some articles about Coach Smith that he is highly regarded by his peers as well as the media as being a high character guy. His teams not only are known for being extremely well coached but they are known as "classy" teams that win the right way.

NHHS is getting a Hall of Fame coach with plenty of good football in front of him. I think he will be highly motivated to take the talent at NHHS and make some noise.

Home freaking run, Port. Home freaking run. That is what it is.

Diamond,
I didn't ask how "YOU" would feel or ask what you thought about how "I"would feel. Or should I say "Freakin Feel".

Good point Port. My apologies.

Here is what you said, and I quote:

"Not sure how I would feel about this if I was a NH fan."

You are right Port. You did not say that you CARED how an ACTUAL NH fan feels about the hire. Rather, you expressed CONFUSION as to how YOU would feel about the hire IF you WERE an actual NH fan. You are not sure if YOU would be happy or sad to be getting one of the best football coaches in the state IF YOU were a NH fan. I'll have to defer to Port to work that out with Port.

Fortunately for me, I am a NH fan and, therefore, don't have to deal with the hypothetical "if I was a NH fan."

Sorry to have wasted your time sharing how pleased I am. I'll try to read more freaking carefully next time.

Earl Smith built Millbrook into the best program in Raleigh back in the day. Great coach but how long will he coach? Probably be retiring agin within a few years to go fishing. He'll be great for them now though.

I can see both sides of the argument ....

GOOD:
- Smith has an impressive record with numerous conference championship - Turned the New Hanover program once before and set it up for Fitz and Motsinger to push it along
- Familiar with the school and the conference (The rivalry with Hoggard )
- Solid hire ... New Hanover is not getting some young coach without or limited head coaching experience

QUESTIONS/CONCERNS:
- Smith is in his early 60's, already retired twice from coaching and only stayed two years at New Hanover the first go round before heading back to Wake county
- Was there not any current active coaches with similar or better track records interested in the job? Word was that they were coming out in droves applying for the job Does the coaching community know something that the rest of us don't? I really don't know ... Just wondering
- Is there a possibility that Earl Smith is at New Hanover to bridge the gap until Motsinger is healthy enough to coach again? Motsinger stated that he was offered a year off to get healthy and come back in 2016, but he told them he didn't he didn't want to do that.
- At his age and being out of football for seven years ... How long will he coach at New Hanover? When he retired the first time after being at New Hanover (out of coahing for one year), he coached at Wake Forest -Rolesville for five years. I don't see him coaching too many more years than that.

Overall:
- If I was a Wildcat supporter, I would really happy and think it's a solid hire. I would be concern about some things mentioned above, but I think with what Motsinger built up that Smith can take New Hanover to that next level. He is a very good coach and the Wildcat faithful should be excited, but worried that they will go through the hiring process again in the next 3 - 5 years.

This post was edited on 2/6 10:09 PM by Screamin' Monk

Diamond,
No worries. I'm wasn't trying to put any twist on this hire. As you can read from other posters there are some positives and some questions. That's all I was implying. I am happy that you are so excited. I believe smith ran the wing T. It may take some time for the players to buy into the system and get good at it.

Solid hire. Great coach. Is there any guarantee when you hire a younger coach that he will stay a long time? Other than Braswell, what's the track record for how long coaches stay at any school in that area?

It will interesting to see how Earl Smith handles the offense at New Hanover ... Motsinger spread them out and tried to put the players in open spaces and threw the ball quite a bit. Earl Smith is a Wing T guy and was when he coached the first time around at New Hanover. He has a good QB in Estes and great Tight End in Walston who has several offers already. Will the kids there who are used to Motsinger's offense going to buy into Smith Wing T? I imagine they would and hope they would considering his past success.

You've got to love it when a poster says "He's a wing - t guy" and wonders how his offense will do. I think when you've won 234 games in your career you could run the "four corners" and still be okay. This is a solid hire. After a seven year gap, I bet he can't wait to do it again!

Originally posted by Sleehrat84:

You've got to love it when a poster says "He's a wing - t guy" and wonders how his offense will do. I think when you've won 234 games in your career you could run the "four corners" and still be okay. This is a solid hire. After a seven year gap, I bet he can't wait to do it again!
Smith is going to win a lot of games at NH. NH is looking to take that next step and become an elite program. I don't think its a insult to question if that will happen running smiths offense.

Originally posted by Sleehrat84:

I agree he will have success (I mentioned it twice in this thread already ), The question is will the kids buy into it or will there will be growing pains? Hutchison at South Columbus came in and change the offense that has been the staple there for a very long time (WIng T). Nobody likes change and maybe if there was success with Hutch's offense that he brought in, that there might not have been an issue with it. You got players at New Hanover like Estes who has a solid arm will be throwing the ball less than what they are use to. I don't how well Estes runs (he looks athletic), he didn't run a lot in Motsinger's offense. Will Smith use someone more athletic than Estes (if available) to run the Wing T? Walston, a stud tight end who put up incredible numbers last year will probably get half the touches. My question was how will Smith handle this? Will he try to throw more than normal out of the Wing T or this has always worked for Smith and he's not changing something that has been successful.

Doesn't NH actually need to hire a coach before the discussion about what offense he will run? What if it's not Smith?
All this discussion is based on a Hoggard guy saying who NH hired?

Originally posted by wildcatfan78:
Doesn't NH actually need to hire a coach before the discussion about what offense he will run? What if it's not Smith?
All this discussion is based on a Hoggard guy saying who NH hired?
You are right. Laney was in this position a few years back and some issues caused the coach to back out. The same thing could happen here. In he mean time, its the off season. What else is there to talk about? Also, WECT reported it, I just posted it.

I read it. But he would have to come out of retirement. Just throwing out the possibility it may not happen. Hope it does though!!!!!

I read it. But he would have to come out of retirement. Just throwing out the possibility it may not happen. Hope it does though!!!!!
wildcat, are you hearing that he is having 2nd thoughts?

Need to Ask Port that. He is posting on CarolinaPreps that Smith is not starting till May. Hoggard always seems to have a direct link to the Central office. Port should be able to tell us the real story.

They aren't going to let Earl Smith sell barbecue sauce and coach at the same time?
This post was edited on 2/10 5:48 PM by Screamin' Monk

I am hearing things are working out. NH will probably make announcement next week and the smith era part two will begin.

I have heard most of them. Sampson is finalist for Purnell Swett Job. I'm sure there will be some changes and hopefully a higher number of coaches depending on teaching positions available.

I have heard most of them. Sampson is finalist for Purnell Swett Job. I'm sure there will be some changes and hopefully a higher number of coaches depending on teaching positions available.
John Sherman an assistant from Douglas Byrd was named the Purnell Swett coach yesterday, but hasn't been approved yet

It's official ...

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20150213/PREPS/150219835

"He made the statement early in joking that he's not crazy about the uniforms, but he's old-fashioned football, down and dirty, let's get to work."

I wish that New Hanover would go back to the Penn State look that Joe Miller had in the late 70's to mid 80's, but I think when Earl Smith was there the last time they looked more like Auburn with the diamond on the helmet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT