ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball New summer league

After reviewing the latest Governor’s executive order, looks like the schedule won’t change much. At the soonest, baseball probably won’t start until July. Between now and May 22nd, no gathering of more than ten people inside a stadium or arena (indoors or outdoors). If that goes well, 4-6 weeks of phase two. No parameters yet, but can’t imagine more than fifty during that phase.

at least one team well start tryouts May 9
If you’re referring to High Point-Thomasville, that meeting will be online through Zoom. Governor’s order yesterday specified that no group of more than ten can meet at one time in any stadium or arena. Part 6A of the order. So yes, tryouts can be held with ten or less, counting coaches. They can hold multiple meetings, as long as no more than ten attend any one meeting. But they can’t spread them out throughout the stadium with more than ten.

union co is playing in area 3 , concord is registering players at Hinson field
If they’re allowing more than ten people into a facility, they’re in violation of the Executive Order. Up to local officials and law enforcement to decide whether to follow the law. In most places, a police officer would tell them to disperse, rather than cite or arrest.
If I remember correctly, Hinson Field is private, but the rules still apply. Either somebody is unaware, misunderstands, or doesn’t care. There are plenty of each as the executive orders can be confusing, unless they read the order itself. The media doesn’t always cover it thoroughly and only hits the highlights.

There are ways to do both. Obviously, registration online. Or have everyone wait outside the facility and stay six feet apart like some retailers. Let up to ten people inside the facility and let someone in as someone leaves.
As far as tryouts, let’s say there are three coaches. Have tryouts in groups of seven, letting everyone else stay outside six feet apart. It can be done, just takes a little extra work. What can’t be done legally is to let a hundred folks inside the facility and divide them into groups of ten throughout the stadium or gym.

Last edited:
sense the league is not american legion baseball , who well handle the paper work, want need to send it national headquarters

According to Core Athletics website, you can register online. They will then assign a time to come today to complete registration. As long as they don’t have more than ten people present at a time, that’s allowed under the executive order. Good way to do it. That’s Concord.
Thomasville is doing it virtually by Zoom. Another good way.
There are ways to accomplish most things by doing it in a way that minimizes risk to people. I’m actually enjoying our Facebook live church services, though it will be good to actually see my fellow church members in person....when the time is right.

Hey 55:
What is Hinson Field currently used for? Last time I saw it, it did not have lights and had very little parking.
coach said, they would have to play 3:00 pm games . no lights , sense they cant use High School fields no other choice

Last edited:
Curious what people believe would be necessary as far as crowd size for this league to work. Phase two can theoretically start May 23rd. The Governor hasn’t specified what changes that may bring, so I’m speculating. But, based on the pattern so far, I think phase two will allow up to fifty. That would include everyone, players, coaches, umps, etc. in theory. Phase two would last until late June or early July (4-6 weeks). So, would it take unlimited crowds, or would some limits work?

I also wonder how the American Legion organization views NC3. Is there friction, or are they just looking the other way?

Curious what people believe would be necessary as far as crowd size for this league to work. Phase two can theoretically start May 23rd. The Governor hasn’t specified what changes that may bring, so I’m speculating. But, based on the pattern so far, I think phase two will allow up to fifty. That would include everyone, players, coaches, umps, etc. in theory. Phase two would last until late June or early July (4-6 weeks). So, would it take unlimited crowds, or would some limits work?

I also wonder how the American Legion organization views NC3. Is there friction, or are they just looking the other way?
I will try answer some of your questions. National American Legion said it was left up to each state to determine whether they wanted to try to have a season. NC decided to cancel their season. There is no looking the other way as they do not have a league. (They not only canceled baseball, but the other youth projects they support) They also said no reference to Legion was allowed to be used in any shape or form. The entire NC3 league is made up of Teams that were Legion and will return to Legion next year. They are very dedicated to American Legion baseball and have no intent of hurting or leaving it. The sole purpose of this league is give kids an opportunity to have some normalcy and play baseball.

To shortly address your opening statement, I can assure that none of the organizations are trying to circumvent any of the government’s restrictions. Some of the questions you ask, we do not have answers to.
We have weekly zoom meetings to discuss All possibilities. We will follow the government guidelines is all I can say.

Each team will be required to purchase accident and liability insurance or can not participate. Each team will be required to have a set roster. It will be a league run on high principles much like Legion.

For everyone’s information there are 22 Junior Teams (17 and under) and 14 Senior teams (19 and under). Every one of them was a Legion team last year and if ther is Legion baseball next year everyone will be Legion.

I will try answer some of your questions. National American Legion said it was left up to each state to determine whether they wanted to try to have a season. NC decided to cancel their season. There is no looking the other way as they do not have a league. (They not only canceled baseball, but the other youth projects they support) They also said no reference to Legion was allowed to be used in any shape or form. The entire NC3 league is made up of Teams that were Legion and will return to Legion next year. They are very dedicated to American Legion baseball and have no intent of hurting or leaving it. The sole purpose of this league is give kids an opportunity to have some normalcy and play baseball.

To shortly address your opening statement, I can assure that none of the organizations are trying to circumvent any of the government’s restrictions. Some of the questions you ask, we do not have answers to.
We have weekly zoom meetings to discuss All possibilities. We will follow the government guidelines is all I can say.

Each team will be required to purchase accident and liability insurance or can not participate. Each team will be required to have a set roster. It will be a league run on high principles much like Legion.

For everyone’s information there are 22 Junior Teams (17 and under) and 14 Senior teams (19 and under). Every one of them was a Legion team last year and if ther is Legion baseball next year everyone will be Legion.
I wasn’t implying that anyone was trying to get around the restrictions, though it sounds as if some may not be aware of them. The HP/Thomasville team was planning on meeting in a way that wasn’t within the restrictions. Not out of ill intent, but lack of understanding. After postponing their meeting once, the city of Thomasville assisted them in setting up a Zoom meeting and the problem was solved.
My question was about viability. How small can a gathering be and still make it work?

As far as Legion’s perspective, I had no idea. Maybe once Legion’s liability is removed, they’re fine with it. That’s why I asked.

Thanks Hon. I find it interesting that the article refers to High Point’s Greg Suire. The team has always played at Finch Field, located in and owned by the city of Thomasville. Mr. Suire constantly emphasizes his allegiance to Thomasville. Especially since he announced a few years ago that he was moving to HIgh Point to take over what is now the High Point Rockers. That didn’t work out and now the Rockers are his biggest competition.
But there was another article recently referring to Finch Field “located in the south end of High Point. Interesting.

there were 13 teams in 2019
last year. is Union county the 14th team?

I wasn’t implying that anyone was trying to get around the restrictions, though it sounds as if some may not be aware of them. The HP/Thomasville team was planning on meeting in a way that wasn’t within the restrictions. Not out of ill intent, but lack of understanding. After postponing their meeting once, the city of Thomasville assisted them in setting up a Zoom meeting and the problem was solved.
My question was about viability. How small can a gathering be and still make it work?

As far as Legion’s perspective, I had no idea. Maybe once Legion’s liability is removed, they’re fine with it. That’s why I asked.
Let’s just say some are more zealous than others. All our team has done is gaged interest and plan on doing nothing until about a week before play starts. Heck, we are one without a field.

OBTW, OC, sorry if I came across a little harsh. It was never my intention.

Thanks Hon. I find it interesting that the article refers to High Point’s Greg Suire. The team has always played at Finch Field, located in and owned by the city of Thomasville. Mr. Suire constantly emphasizes his allegiance to Thomasville. Especially since he announced a few years ago that he was moving to HIgh Point to take over what is now the High Point Rockers. That didn’t work out and now the Rockers are his biggest competition.
But there was another article recently referring to Finch Field “located in the south end of High Point. Interesting.
City of Thomasville certainly has a facility to be proud of in Finch Field.

Let’s just say some are more zealous than others. All our team has done is gaged interest and plan on doing nothing until about a week before play starts. Heck, we are one without a field.

OBTW, OC, sorry if I came across a little harsh. It was never my intention.
Not at all, Sportsnut. Me either. I hope this succeeds for the kids’ sake.

City of Thomasville certainly has a facility to be proud of in Finch Field.
It is a nice facility. The city does a great job with it. That’s part of why it’s sensitive when folks constantly refer to it as High Point’s. They have a very nice stadium too. Lots of millions in that one.

It is a nice facility. The city does a great job with it. That’s part of why it’s sensitive when folks constantly refer to it as High Point’s. They have a very nice stadium too. Lots of millions in that one.
I am a lover of old ball parks. I will take Finch field over the Rockers anytime. I can not stand the shine on the artificial turf. The whole place just looks to sterile for me.

Reactions: ocdavis31
I am a lover of old ball parks. I will take Finch field over the Rockers anytime. I can not stand the shine on the artificial turf. The whole place just looks to sterile for me.
Haven’t been to a game there, though I may check it out if they play this summer.
Were you able to go to Finch Field before the old wooden bleachers burned down? Now that was a great experience! I’m fond of Memorial Stadium in Greensboro, though the bathrooms were a little rough.
The only original part of Finch Field is the scoreboard. The city spent three years worth of the HiToms lease payment last year to stabilize the scoreboard to allow its continued use.

Haven’t been to a game there, though I may check it out if they play this summer.
Were you able to go to Finch Field before the old wooden bleachers burned down? Now that was a great experience! I’m fond of Memorial Stadium in Greensboro, though the bathrooms were a little rough.
The only original part of Finch Field is the scoreboard. The city spent three years worth of the HiToms lease payment last year to stabilize the scoreboard to allow its continued use.
I do like Memorial Stadium in Greensboro, not many like that left. I did not see Finch prior to fire. My first visit was probably about early 90’s. I would love to hear story about the fire. Also, wasn’t the stadium remodeled about 10 years ago? The pic below of old stadium looks a lot like Holt-Moffit. Guess they both were built in the same time frame.

You may have seen this website before, but I think it is great.

http://www.charliesballparks.com/st/NC-Thomasville-Finch.htm

http://www.charliesballparks.com/stadiums.htm

As former Council member David Yemm (now the chair of the Historic Preservation Commission) mentions, there was a significant upgrade in 2006. A cover was added to the bleachers with a picnic shelter and concession stand/beer garden on the third base side. The city has supported continued improvements. A little controversial since the franchise tenant is a for profit business that has benefited from taxpayer expenditures.

To me this all comes down to money part of it. I think the first thing teams need to figure out is if they have sponosors, are the sponsors ok with them using money for this. Are you going to charge the kids or not charge the kids. Teams need to make sure they plan $$$$ to survive without fans.

About the sponorship money......teams need to be aware going into next year that a majority of sponors are probally not going to give the same amount of money in 2021 or any for that matter. May be smart to hold them money off till 2021 just to be safe and charge the kids.

Also my big concern is I think they may limit groups to 50 so I don't know is that going to work. If that is the number you would have to have both sides with only 24 total between coaches and players. Add in the umpires. Would the scoreboard person count to that ...ect

Also what I think this league needs to think about is setting games up with South Carolina teams first. They are probally going to open up quicker than NC. Fort Mill would probally be the closest team to the NC border. Only a hour and half from high point. Less than a hour for Rowan and everyone south. But i would reach out to that areas teams. I know I saw that area is going to join the South Carolina Indepdent league.

governor may let teams play baseball , but teamswll have issues getting to away game , if there are limited on buses and cars , ,

2, 11 team divisions would work,better otherwise cant have the same number of teams in each division

Real concern of getting 22 game schedule in a short time was main reason for 4 divisions. Especially if can’t start before July 1.

Are there any teams other than Thomasville that will share the field with other teams or leagues? At Finch Field, they’ll be trying to shoehorn a CPL schedule and two NC3 teams into the same field and probably do it all in about six weeks. Sounds like some double and triple headers.

Are there any teams other than Thomasville that will share the field with other teams or leagues? At Finch Field, they’ll be trying to shoehorn a CPL schedule and two NC3 teams into the same field and probably do it all in about six weeks. Sounds like some double and triple headers.
Yes there is several other local municipalities that are going to be used. Also, some privately held baseball fields are a possibility. Several of the teams in smaller communities are hoping their school system may allow them to use. Even though we have a signed lease agreement with the school system, I am not even approaching them about use this year.

Yes there is several other local municipalities that are going to be used. Also, some privately held baseball fields are a possibility. Several of the teams in smaller communities are hoping their school system may allow them to use. Even though we have a signed lease agreement with the school system, I am not even approaching them about use this year.

FYI....I received an email from WSFC Schools when schools closed that all facility leases are void until further notice. There are some serious issues to navigate to pull this off in a manner that is beneficial for the kids. We are only considering if we play enough to not practice if we don't have access to a home\practice field. I'm for making the best out of a less than desirable situation, but we are not going to rely upon indoor facilities for practice if we only play 2-3 games per week. Getting players game ready physically, particularly arm conditioning is top of the list for our priorities.

Can someone give a valid argument for the rosters being set at 25? That is a huge mistake in my opinion. How can you keep that many with enough playing time unless you have 13 pitcher only guys and if so, they will not get enough innings. That sounds like fear of not having committed players, but how do you get commitment without being invested in your kids? 9 inning games are a big plus though.

Heard yesterday that the Florence team in the Coastal Plain League has cancelled its season. The league is hoping to start play July 1, according to its last press release.

concord is using a private field, Hinson field 2300 Eva Drive Concord NC , must play day games , no lights jr and sr team using same field one team will more than likely have to play on the road while the other one is at home

Based on the Governor’s press conference, I wouldn’t anticipate NC3 to crank up, even for practice, until at least Phase 3. The earliest for that would be June 19th. Unless, of course, the rosters are trimmed down from 25.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT