ADVERTISEMENT

New Berns Mike Hughes

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
After some time to take in last nights performance by Mike Hughes I would like to try and put it in perspective. I know that many have not been sold on Hoggard this year and I and don't blame those people. Coming into this game Hoggard had given up 110 points in 13 games and 42 of those points were not scored on their starting defense. That's 68 points. Hoggard returned most of their defense from last season and even though their schedule has not been strong, they have faced some very good players. Last season Hoggard held WF RB Bryce Love to 126 yards. Love has over 20 D1 offers. They also held Greenville Rose WR C. Powell to 4 catches for 89 yards. Powell had multiple D1 offers in his sophomore year. This season the Vikings held Charlotte Christian RB E. Deveau to under 50 yards in the one half that the teams played. Deveau has over 20 D1 offers. Hoggard held S. central RB S. Furlow to under 50 yards rushing. Furlow has committed to ECU. Hoggard beat a very good Scotland team this year and held them scoreless in the second half. SC beat RC this year by 3 TD's. The same RC team that beat Vance and Butler. The same Butler team that beat MC. I am not saying Hoggard could beat those teams. This was a very good Hoggard team. They have not been gashed like this even though they have played some very good players. Hughes made a very good Hoggard defense look like slow and bad. NB had 500 total yards and Hughes accounted for about 440 of those yards. Hoggard defense looked solid when Hughes wasn't running around. That was a performance worth watching and if he plays that well against CC I don't see them being able to handle him. Congrats to Hughes and NB on a tremendous performance. I know it is hard for the Hoggard players and fans to swallow but I think giving credit where credit is due is all that can be done.

You were on a roll until that same Butler that beat MC. For all the marbles 2nd match 56-14 Mallard Creek. I get it though. Bryce Love is a Beast and NB can play. Question? What type offense does NB run?

Mike Hughes is the most humble, talented, fastest, quickest athlete I have ever seen. I'm glad he is a Bear. This NB team, as a whole, is the most talented and best NB "team" I personally have ever seen. I've only been in NB since the 2010 season so I can't speak for pre-2010 teams. As great as Mike is(and he is beyond great), he has a phenomenal supporting cast around him-a very good O line, very good backs and very good receiving corp. Most importantly, he has the coaching staff to make it all go. NB's D ,in my opinion, is the best in the state this year, Giving up fewer than 7 ppg, they continually set up the offense time and again with better than normal field position and they can score. I have said it since this summer...the senior leadership of this Bears' team sets them apart from the others I have seen. These kids are on a mission......Congrats to all involved on a truly remarkable season thus far! One more game. Take care of business!
Go Bears!

Originally posted by nepsy7:

Question? What type offense does NB run?
Hybrid, triple spread, pistol, double pistol....you get the point. Lot's of fronts out of the spread. Not sure what you officially call it, but it's badass!

Congrats to your Mustangs Nep!

New Bern runs a spread option offense.

Mike Hughes was 6-10 for 169 yards and 3 TD's passing. He also rushed 10 times for 273 yards and 4 TD's. He had 442 total yards and 7 total TD's.

Originally posted by NBBears20124ACHAMPS:

Mike Hughes was 6-10 for 169 yards and 3 TD's passing. He also rushed 10 times for 273 yards and 4 TD's. He had 442 total yards and 7 total TD's.
Hybrid, triple spread, pistol, double pistol....you get the point. Lot's of fronts out of the spread. Not sure what you officially call it, but it's badass!

3dgrin.r191677.gif

You were on a roll until that same Butler that beat MC. For all the marbles 2nd match 56-14 Mallard Creek. I get it though. Bryce Love is a Beast and NB can play. Question? What type offense does NB run?
That's not the point. Butler is a good football team. I am not implying they are better than MC right now. I am just try to give a perspective to those who have not seen this kid or Hoggard play. He didn't have this game against the sisters of the poor.

Originally posted by lovethembears:
Port
Your RB and 44 are the real deal. Great players!
Thanks. They are great kids too. Keevin would have broken every school record at the RB poss had he been health. He tore his ACL his soph season and hurt his shoulder in week two last season. Those two have played together since 7th grade. They will be missed. I wish I had bought a program to see what class your starters were. I know 20,6,7,43 are all back.

Port City! I gotcha! Just having a little fun.
wink.r191677.gif
I]m trying to make this game on Friday. Lovethembears! You guys tailgating?

Wouldn't mind seeing him matchup against kid from lake Norman! Both pretty special w the ball in their hands!

3dgrin.r191677.gif
Badass indeed!! This ole West Craven guy is pulling for New Bern to win it all again. Goodluck!!

Port City! I gotcha! Just having a little fun.
wink.r191677.gif
I]m trying to make this game on Friday. Lovethembears! You guys tailgating?
Probably not, but I'm getting there early. If you come up, shoot me a text so we can connect.

Originally posted by Otis4411:

3dgrin.r191677.gif
Badass indeed!! This ole West Craven guy is pulling for New Bern to win it all again. Goodluck!!
Thanks Otis! Hope things are good with you.

You were on a roll until that same Butler that beat MC. For all the marbles 2nd match 56-14 Mallard Creek.
It was 14-all in the 2nd quarter and Butler was moving the ball at will when AR-W got hurt (three length of the field drives in the first quarter plus...including a 20 play, 96 yard TD drive).

You make it sound like Mallard Creek dominated that game, but the truth is - just like in the first game - you were going to be lucky to win it at all with the Butler offense firing on all cylinders like that.

I expect Mallard Creek to repeat this week...but that AR-W injury might very well be the luckiest break Mallard Creek caught all year in defending their title.

This post was edited on 12/6 7:27 PM by hokiemtc

Hokie you guys can continue to use the what if ARW played the entire game? The fact is, it was only a matter of time that he was going to be knocked out of the game, because of the way Butler was using him. He was trying to run over everyone in front of him. It was just not physically possible for him to last the entire game.

Originally posted by hokiemtc:

You were on a roll until that same Butler that beat MC. For all the marbles 2nd match 56-14 Mallard Creek.
It was 14-all in the 2nd quarter and Butler was moving the ball at will when AR-W got hurt (three length of the field drives in the first quarter plus...including a 20 play, 96 yard TD drive).

You make it sound like Mallard Creek dominated that game, but the truth is - just like in the first game - you were going to be lucky to win it at all with the Butler offense firing on all cylinders like that.

I expect Mallard Creek to repeat this week...but that AR-W injury might very well be the luckiest break Mallard Creek caught all year in defending their title.

This post was edited on 12/6 7:27 PM by hokiemtc
14-7 when ARW got hurt.

This thread is not about MC and Butler please check the title!! You guys can make your own thread about those schools !! Lol

Hokie you guys can continue to use the what if ARW played the entire game? The fact is, it was only a matter of time that he was going to be knocked out of the game, because of the way Butler was using him. He was trying to run over everyone in front of him. It was just not physically possible for him to last the entire game.
Really? This was AR-W's 3rd year playing QB for Butler, and the FIFTH game he had played QB against Mallard Creek, but this was the first time in his entire career that he couldn't finish a game due to injury.

AR-W didn't seem the worse for wear when he was running over MC defenders during the first FOUR times he played them, did he? It seems to me that he lasted those entire games just fine.

This post was edited on 12/7 6:25 PM by hokiemtc

Hokie- How do you think UNC will use AR-W?
Unfortunately, I'm thinking UNC won't use him at all.

Williams was athletically light years ahead of every other QB that UNC has had on their roster in forever, but it took pretty much an elimination of any other possible option before the clueless UNC coaching finally broke down and gave Williams a chance to run the offense.

Williams SHOULD have been a four year starter at UNC, but their clueless coaches blew it. How good would Williams have been in 2014 if this were his fourth year pulling the strings?

I'll say this, too...IF AR-W ever gets a chance at UNC to show what he can do (and that's a BIG if), he can probably thank Williams for getting some of the UNC coaches to finally see the light.

i've heard that Fedora has said that AR-W is the ideal QB to run his offense too anyone that would listen.

I hope you're right, but I don't see how AR-W would be an ideal fit and Williams was not. They have similar skill sets.

Originally posted by SCHS 96:
i've heard that Fedora has said that AR-W is the ideal QB to run his offense too anyone that would listen.
That's what was said about Mitch Trubisky when he was recruited. Trubisky ran the same offense in high school as what Carolina runs and was highly recruited ... Who knows what Is going on in Chapel Hill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT