ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA Announces 5th class for Football

SMCSMC

Nov 7, 2021
The NCHSAA has announced that effective in the fall of 2022 a fifth classification for football will be in effect.

The class (to be named 1R) would be composed of high schools in Graham County with an ADM of approximately 370 students. Since only one school currently qualifies in this class, players would be authorized to order their NCHSAA 1R championship rings in August after being notified that they made the football team.

The 1R high schools will alter their scoreboards to include the ADM of any visiting school (except Andrews). Also rushing yardage for each 1R player will be posted on the scoreboard real time to include their class in school and average yards per game.

Hopefully, this new classification should help decrease the endless chatter caused by incompetent referees at 1R games, games that would have been won if injured players could have participated, Early College students being used to mask ADM numbers, SMC players outside Graham County whose ancestors (going back up to six generations) are connected to Graham County, and of course, which team won the Cracker Bowl in 1992.

Should be a good one.

You Murphy fans are having a bad year.
Don't worry you only got to worry about it a few more years.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
I know this is all in fun but here is a little history for you younguns !! Early 1970’s the first Championship for youth football in our area was held in Robbinsville and was called the
Graham Cracker Bowl. True story. One year Murphy had a Bowl game and was the Lions Club Bowl. In Time it was just called The Cracker Bowl and continues to this day at a different team location every year. For you Robbinsville fanatics some names you might recall are Shane Laughter, Steve McMonigle, Chris Milsaps just to name a few. Glad to see the tradition is still going strong

You Murphy fans are having a bad year.
Don't worry you only got to worry about it a few more years.

Funny you would automatically assume that's a Murphy fan...

It's obvious you're heartbroken about not getting to talk about ADM's and the EC this season.

Yeah I'm broken hearted after robbinsville 3 consecutive SMC championships.

The NCHSAA has announced that effective in the fall of 2022 a fifth classification for football will be in effect.

The class (to be named 1R) would be composed of high schools in Graham County with an ADM of approximately 370 students. Since only one school currently qualifies in this class, players would be authorized to order their NCHSAA 1R championship rings in August after being notified that they made the football team.

The 1R high schools will alter their scoreboards to include the ADM of any visiting school (except Andrews). Also rushing yardage for each 1R player will be posted on the scoreboard real time to include their class in school and average yards per game.

Hopefully, this new classification should help decrease the endless chatter caused by incompetent referees at 1R games, games that would have been won if injured players could have participated, Early College students being used to mask ADM numbers, SMC players outside Graham County whose ancestors (going back up to six generations) are connected to Graham County, and of course, which team won the Cracker Bowl in 1992.

Should be a good one.
Funny...but really as far as western nc goes...rville with its championships and tradition is in a class by itself.

Should be a good one.
Heard all 1R rings will be engraved with ‘Robbinsville High School: In A Class By Itself’

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Yeah I'm broken hearted after robbinsville 3 consecutive SMC championships.
I would take 2 state championship in the last 3 years over yalls 1. Murphy is fine with losing regular season to y’all…. i mean last year had some pretty big bling. remind me where yours is?

Robbinsville has been to 3 of the last seven state title games and has a winning record vs Murphy in that time span. Your a moron.
Robbinsville 15
Murphy less than 11 or 12.
Robbinsville still title town.

One thing for sure Franklin ain't title town 😂
Round about town maybe

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Dont forget Mitchell there starters were hurt or the bus had a flat tire is the only reason Robbinsville has half those championships.
Funny how Mitchell vs Robbinsville on different threads are always brought up while as far as I know they've only played twice in our history. Mitchell has played Murphy, Swain and Cherokee in both playoffs and non-conference regular season but I don't believe they ever had Robbinsville as a regular season opponent ( I could be wrong I can't look up regular season pass 2004 on MaxPreps but I remember playing Swain in the late 80's early 90's) and since Mitchell only dropped from 2A to 1A I believe the fall 2009 season and only played in small 1A three times the only times that I know of they only played in 2017-18 2nd round playoffs Mitchell won 45-25 and springs 2020-21 playoffs 2nd which Robbinsville won 28-20.

Last edited:
Yeah when Franklin becomes relevant again, let us know. But I agree, round about town is a perfect name for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT