ADVERTISEMENT

NC Rivalries

Mount Airy is listed with 3 rivalries and Elkin has 2. I did not take the time to see schools with more than one rivalries but maybe they will be adding Mount Airy vs Starmount in a few years. Does anyone notice schools with more than one rivalries since I did not take the time ? I saw Swain Murphy and Robbinsville several times as a conference

No offense to either school but really don’t get the Tarboro/MA being that high. I agree with Vikingsfan2018 no way it should be above those listed. Heck for that matter several he didn’t mention.
No doubt it is a good rivalry but not as good as it hose going back many many years.

But that’s just this ol boys opinion and it don’t count for a lot.

Go Mountaineers

No offense to either school but really don’t get the Tarboro/MA being that high. I agree with Vikingsfan2018 no way it should be above those listed. Heck for that matter several he didn’t mention.
No doubt it is a good rivalry but not as good as it hose going back many many years.

But that’s just this ol boys opinion and it don’t count for a lot.

Go Mountaineers
I could understand it if Tarboro and MA had played in like 5 or 6 title games in a row but they haven't. I feel like it belongs on the list but not in the top 5.

The author does explain the list being more of a power ranking of rivalries than a historical one. They are considering more recent matches as more weighted.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I think there is some sense of a rivalry that’s has been created between Tarboro-Mount Airy. But in my view it’s more of a mutual respect of success between the programs rather than a typical “bad-blood” rivalry.

It kind of reminds me of the Alabama-Clemson rivalry when they went thru that 3-4 year stretch where they were playing for the national title every year.

Dudley/Page is kinda low, and the Tarboro/MA is just weird. At least they know about the Tarboro/SWE rivalry, which is more of a domination by Tarboro. We rarely win that game. But we will this year.

So on Facebook, high school Ot said most were submissions from twitter. They also said this list was based off of recent years and these are the best going into this year and when you factor that in then you can make an argument that tarboro and mt airy, having played for the championship the last two years, do have a hot rivalry as the winner is the champ. But as for as a historical rivalry it shouldn’t even be mentioned. I’d love to see a historical rivalry list!

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Elkin/East Wilkes is probably better that Elkin/Starmount these days. Elkin/Starmount might as well be Western/App.

Dudley/Page is kinda low, and the Tarboro/MA is just weird. At least they know about the Tarboro/SWE rivalry, which is more of a domination by Tarboro. We rarely win that game. But we will this year.
We'll see. IMO this the best shot SWE has had to beat Tarboro since 2019. I know this list is based on what has occured recently, but I still can't put Tarboro/MA in 2nd. Over Pisgah/tuscola especially

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan
West Stokes plays orange and blue second game. How is their stadium
Well…
There’s a lot of smoke during their intro. They come in under visitors section. Lot of orange/blue in stadium. First you have to figure out where to get off roundabout to get there…
Not really a bad seat in the house on visitors side though…

LOL at this one, when the others consistently have 12-15,000 in the stands and around the field, and have a 20 grand 50/50, maybe then they can claim the best rivalry in NC, until then its Pisgah vs Tuscola.

iRFIDoLTlahSUuK-800x450-noPad.jpg

e3d587744a5b00f5470b48acf77d6014_XL.jpg

Whiteville vs South Columbus should be on there for sure. South has been down, but that's definitely bigger than Whiteville vs West Brunswick.

I personally thought last year was your best chance to get Tarboro. I don’t see it happening this year.

Heavily biased towards bigger schools but no major issues with the list. Obviously would look a bit different if not based on current status of programs.

Thomasville-Lexington?
The Bulldogs have won twelve out of the last fourteen and are 31-5 against the Yellow Jackets since 1986. Hardly the stuff of rivalry.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
AC Reynolds vs Owen is definitely not what it was when Ford was there and for that matter Owen has probably lost as much of its identity as any team in the mountains in the last 20 years. One of the first communities, to have the majority switched to retirees and gentrification overall. Old Kenny did a great job of making every boy in the valley want to be a Warhorse and take on the world, including occasionally being the giant slayer and taking down Reynolds, but those days appear to be in the past and most likely not to return.

Owens’ athletes are playing soccer now and their serious football players are probably playing at ACR.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT