ADVERTISEMENT

My Top 4 in State 1A

This list probably correct. My question is: who could be the spoiler?
The unknown team that comes together late in the season?
Any private recruiter schools that is as of now under the radar?

Reactions: MA STUD
This list probably correct. My question is: who could be the spoiler?
The unknown team that comes together late in the season?
Any private recruiter schools that is as of now under the radar?
Maybe Swain
Did you really need another thread to discuss what is being discussed in your he first thread you started?
I have a list of top 4 attention seekers on NCPreps.

1. MA Stud
2. mastud
3. MASTUD
4. maStud

Apologies to all other MA Fans.

Go Mountaineers
Other post was top 4 in West this is top 4 in state. If you knew how to read you would know this. Always quick to jump on A MA poster. SMH!

Cant See Ken Jeong GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

The only poll that matters is the RPI - and when that comes out Robbinsville will be #1.

They’ll have a good shot of ending up with the 1 seed in the west even if they have 1 loss.
THIS IS NOT A POLL JUST MY OPINION ON TOP 4 WEEK 4! All of you guys really should lighten up for some discussion on a discussion board!

The only poll that matters is the RPI - and when that comes out Robbinsville will be #1.

They’ll have a good shot of ending up with the 1 seed in the west even if they have 1 loss.
Mt airy at the big oaks I would pay good money to see that

Reactions: BK13T-$
Winning percentage, opponents' winning percentage, and opponents' opponents winning percentage will all be used. The formula will be:

RPI = (0.3 x WP) + (0.4 x OWP) + (0.3 x OOWP)

Reactions: thekidd12
We all know how the formula works.
Robbinsville playing Rabun Gap will boost our OWP and OOWP alot. Most rankings have RG top 6 in the state.

For the record I hate the RPI.

We all know how the formula works.
Robbinsville playing Rabun Gap will boost our OWP and OOWP alot. Most rankings have RG top 6 in the state.

For the record I hate the RPI.
I posted formula for ones not as smart as you BK!

• Haha
Time will tell but I'm not sure yet about putting Murphy in #4.
I wouldn't count out Draughn or Thomasville yet.
Draughn's game tomorrow night against Chase might answer some questions there.
I agree! Tville has a very strong Defense that will keep them in every game. If Draughn improves their OL, they could be dangerous for any opponent. MA STUD is basing this on 4 weeks, so I'll go with Mt Airy, Tarboro, Rville & Tville.

Shhhhh…
Nobody around here really cares…
Ok until playoffs. Then posters come out of the woodwork all of a sudden…
ER ain’t that good anyway. Some poster on another thread says they don’t score enough or play defense…
So shhhh…
We have to pretend like we don't know, so we can ask what your team looks like and what they do when matched up against them in the third round and fourth rounds of the playoffs.

Shhhhh…
Nobody around here really cares…
Ok until playoffs. Then posters come out of the woodwork all of a sudden…
ER ain’t that good anyway. Some poster on another thread says they don’t score enough or play defense…
So shhhh…
📢 OH YEAH I FORGOT ABOUT MAXPREPS #6 EASTERN RANDOLPH EVERYONE!!!
WHO'S STARTING BASICALLY THE SAME WAY AS LAST YEAR SO DON'T RULE THEM OUT ETHER!!!

• Haha
MA
Tarboro
Thomasville
Robbinsville
Since the split 1A class are a thing of the past I don’t think a SMC team can make it back to the top. As good as Andrews was last year they got hammered by a very good Draughn team which went on to get hammered by MA.

As good as Andrews was last year they got hammered by a very good Draughn team
Andrews stud RB/safety played hurt and their QB got hurt during the game against Draughn, that game is a tight one with Weaver healthy. MA was on a different level though, nobody in the west was touching them last season.

As far an SMC team never making it to the top again, I don't know about all that. I think it could still happen at some point under the current format, but much much less frequently. Swain won the 1AA title in 2011, a couple of the Murphy teams that won 1A last decade would've had a good shot of making it to the title game in 1AA. The problem is Murphy and Swain aren't what they once were, so the onus more often than not moving forward will fall to Robbinsville I believe.

Murphy for example simply doesn't have the kind of athletes and depth year in and year out that they did even 5 years ago ; and based on the trends I'm seeing they aren't going to have that dynamic again apart from some once in ever so often group. Murphy's 2025 team might have been exactly that (there was a lot speed and size in that underclassmen group) but they got decimated by transfers, another factor these small public schools have to contend with now.

Swain is having a bit of a bounce back season this year for them but realistically it's still not championship caliber talent, nor does it look sustainable to me based on what they have coming up the pipeline after their current upperclassmen depart.

Robbinsville seems to have the same level of talent coming through that they pretty much always have since Walsh took over, but given their sheer numbers and pool it will take the stars aligning perfectly for them to legitimately compete with a Tarboro or Mount Airy in one of their "up" years.

Last edited:
Didn't eastern Randolph's best player that kept game close vs Mt Airy until he got hurt...graduate? If so I dont see Eastern Randolph top 4. Top 10 but not top 4.

Didn't eastern Randolph's best player that kept game close vs Mt Airy until he got hurt...graduate? If so I dont see Eastern Randolph top 4. Top 10 but not top 4.
I agree I think they lost too much!

Yes he did.
Close?
Think ER was actually ahead when he went down…🤷‍♂️

And we will just have to wait and see how it all shakes out I guess. All y’all might be right.

Reactions: MA STUD
Andrews stud RB/safety played hurt and their QB got hurt during the game against Draughn, that game is a tight one with Weaver healthy. MA was on a different level though, nobody in the west was touching them last season.

As far an SMC team never making it to the top again, I don't know about all that. I think it could still happen at some point under the current format, but much much less frequently. Swain won the 1AA title in 2011, a couple of the Murphy teams that won 1A last decade would've had a good shot of making it to the title game in 1AA. The problem is Murphy and Swain aren't what they once were, so the onus more often than not moving forward will fall to Robbinsville I believe.

Murphy for example simply doesn't have the kind of athletes and depth year in and year out that they did even 5 years ago ; and based on the trends I'm seeing they aren't going to have that dynamic again apart from some once in ever so often group. Murphy's 2025 team might have been exactly that (there was a lot speed and size in that underclassmen group) but they got decimated by transfers, another factor these small public schools have to contend with now.

Swain is having a bit of a bounce back season this year for them but realistically it's still not championship caliber talent, nor does it look sustainable to me based on what they have coming up the pipeline after their current upperclassmen depart.

Robbinsville seems to have the same level of talent coming through that they pretty much always have since Walsh took over, but given their sheer numbers and pool it will take the stars aligning perfectly for them to legitimately compete with a Tarboro or Mount Airy in one of their "up" years.
Swain is in a conundrum.

Objectively they are on the up and have the ability to maintain great teams if they can establish culture again. The next few years will be pivotal in determining the direction of the program as they really have about everything in place to develop/maintain talent. They have the facilities, a very good track program, excellent wrestling staff/buy in and for the most part very large community support.

Will it mean anything? Time will tell.
Bryson City itself is quickly becoming a mini Gatlinburg, which does not bode well for the local population as cost of living, space and lack of actual community engagement are quickly becoming issues.
There is turmoil in the powers that be at Swain, many in the community are not pleased with what's been going on and are quick to show their dissatisfaction. If things don't improve I could see an exodus of sorts over time as families that can't afford to live there anymore (young people) leave and are replaced by retirees.
That is easily the worst outcome and Swain High will suffer mightily.

On the other hand, If a good balance can be found between the town and it's people, I believe things may shake out positively and a we might see a return to form for the Devils.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT