ADVERTISEMENT

MT AIRY 35 NORTH SURRY 14

bareman

Jun 23, 2001
4 INT's and a couple of bad snaps help Bears win for 10th straight time...QB Jackson Smith throws for 3 scores and rushes for 1 (195 yds passing)...Ian Holder rushes for 1 and catches 2 of Smiths passes for scores....also has 2 of the 4'picks. K Robert Brown goes 5-5 on conversions.....Bears host undefeated Surry Central next

Last edited:
NS scores after fake punt and bogus onside that went out of bounds that N recovered. Video showed it was out of bounds. North played good iwill admit. Ian played awesome and Jackson Smith is a special talent at QB

I just got to ask. I understand using the clock to help win a ball. But in the later part of the 4th, when North was stacking the box. I just have to ask WHY keep running the ball up the middle so these kids can get gang tackled.
Maybe this is a grey area between running the score up are getting your running back hurt.

Enjoyed listening to Tommy and Kelly last night. They did a great job. Got to give kudos to the defense. King and others didn't giver their awesome QB (Smith) a chance to get comfortable. A couple of those ints were caused by the defensive rush

North Surry played much better football last night than in the first two games I saw them play, against Elkin and East Surry. Coach Holder was disappointed last night in his special teams, thought they should have prevented the fake punt and the onside. Said that his defense did a good job even though stuff like that caused them to be on the field too long.

I wasn't very far from the onside when it was recovered, and honestly, I thought part of his body was out of bounds when he recovered it. But you go to sleep on something like that, which MA did, and you can't really blame the referees.

Unless the other team is playing dirty, there's not that much risk in running draw plays up the middle. MA already had the game well in hand by that point and they were just trying to get it over with.

NS still isn't quite clicking on all cylinders, though, which is understandable considering what they've dealt with to start their season. Getting Atkins next week should help them in that regard. Mount Airy's next game should be far more interesting than that one will be.

It's a lot easier to see on tv.
My question is can #14 on the kicking team go out of bounce then come back in and be the first to touch the ball.
Please remember the official is right behind him.

Reactions: sbbbfan
No he can not. It would be illegal touching. Looks like his feet are in when he goes to ground. Hard to tell and these are high school ref not nfl and no replay. From our angle it was hard to tell

not much risk running draw plays up the middle. As jsc1973 puts it. Well when you start taking the first string O line out so you can save them for defense. And North is stacking the box. Yes my friend there is a greater risk.
So I say NO matter the score if there going to stack the box, I go with 5 wide outs.
As for me saying coach Holder is doing the wrong thing.
Yes I am.
I not worried what a 46-47 year old man thinks of me. I'm there for the kids.

Let me be very clear about this.
I think Kelly is a great guy and very good coach.
I just don't like and will never like running the ball up the middle, with the soul intention of eating up the clock. More likely than not there are a lot of subs in and kids playing out of position.

Last edited:
NS scores after fake punt and bogus onside that went out of bounds that N recovered. Video showed it was out of bounds. North played good iwill admit. Ian played awesome and Jackson Smith is a special talent at QB
Yes he did step out of bounds. As you were astutely watching the video, did you see the bogus call where the same ref said that #8 was down when he had clearly fumbled the ball? That was a game changer for sure. Also during your film study did you see our receiver trying to run patterns while his jersey was being stretched straight out from behind? This also was in front of that same ref countless times. As for that fake punt, it was a great play in which #12 made a good hard run on the play. You won the game handily and left no doubt, so why are you talking about the onside kick and fake punt? Why are you not talking about the unsportsmanlike penalties at the end of the game? We saw what happened to cause that and so did Coach Holder. If we had done that to your QB that is all you guys would be talking about. Good luck next week.

Game changer
Just when was North in the game. 21-14 and they got 14 from that kick-off.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT