ADVERTISEMENT

MPC Week 3

BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
After a rough week for the conference, things can only get better in all likelihood...

ND vs Davie
OG vs Ragsdale
CD vs WD
Ledford vs Wheatmore
MC at JF Webb
Asheboro bye

Alright, we found out a bit more with the conference this past week. Now things start to get serious. They say you improve the most between game one and two, then find out who is really who in week three... let's do this!

North welcomes Davie to Welcome (hehe), not necessarily a friendly place for war chickens, and both are trying to sort themselves out. Davie was obliterated in opening week by Mooresville and followed it up by losing to rival West Rowan. Now they get another old rival in North Davidson and they may be licking their chops at facing a much smaller school to right the ship. North has played good defense at times and had trouble finishing on offense the first two weeks, is this where they iron out the kinks? Stay tuned...

Oak Grove played West Forsyth even for a half and then got snowballed in the second. They look to pick themselves up against Ragsdale who is looking better this year. Kudos to OG and ND for scheduling tough opponents in the non conference to prep for conference. OG has owned Ragsdale the past couple years but this Tiger team looks upgraded, we shall see.

Central has found the going rough against quality opponents but now they get to face off with bitter rival West Davidson. The Dragons look much improved and hungry to prove themselves after years of ineptitude. They pounded Ledford in a shocker nobody saw coming and now get to try for a win against Central for the first time in recent memory. Always a classic brawl with high tension and emotions.

Ledford was expected to lose against Glenn but after getting a thorough whipping from West they have only scored 6 points in two games... the defense which is usually their strength is nowhere to be found. Is Wheatmore what the vet ordered for the kitty cats? Wheatmore barely lost to West, but comparative scores mean nothing. Ledford better find the matchups or its the start of a long season...

Montgomery Central has two wins and looking for another against Webb. They won last year and look to take another step forward this season.

Asheboro has looked much better and gets to rest a week before strapping it back up. Is this the year they end their conference losing streak?

Find out answers to all these questions and more, next time on DragonBall Z!... er, ncpreps...

Last edited:
According to my brother in law who taught at Ledford for quite a few years, the talent well has dried up at Ledford and won't be back for a while. He said they have nothing coming up from middle school right now.

Word on the street, Mister Black Knight Nut, is some of Ledford's players have " transferred " to Oak Grove and North Davidson. Is there any truth to this ?
P.S. Looking at Ledford's schedule , it appears Wheatmore and possibly East Davidson are the only teams the Ledford Panthers can beat . Of course Asheboro can be beat by about anybody, including 1-A teams, on any given night. Unless something quickly jells in Wallburg, Ledford is looking at a two or three win season.
P.S.S. How many decades has it been since West Davidson beat Ledford ?

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Word on the street, Mister Black Knight Nut, is some of Ledford's players have " transferred " to Oak Grove and North Davidson. Is there any truth to this ?
P.S. Looking at Ledford's schedule , it appears Wheatmore and possibly East Davidson are the only teams the Ledford Panthers can beat . Of course Asheboro can be beat by about anybody, including 1-A teams, on any given night. Unless something quickly jells in Wallburg, Ledford is looking at a two or three win season.
P.S.S. How many decades has it been since West Davidson beat Ledford ?
West last beat Ledford in 2010, which happens to be the last year I was at Tyro Middle before I went into the Corps.

Ledford may very well lose kids to OG, and may have benefits from High Point and Thomasville over the years. I can't say. I know North got benefits from Lexington and Parkland over the years as well. Every school has transfers. I don't necessarily think every school recruits (North got caught recently) as much as parents find the best situation for their child, but of course it happens, especially in this age of NIL.

If Leford kids are going to OG and ND it wouldn't surprise me. A few years ago in 2017 our backup quarterback went to Ledford and was feeding their coaches the signals because he knew them. ND won but the next game went to a huddle so Ledford couldn't read the signals and won even more easily.

Looks like some of the south Winston-Salem players, instead of almost all of 'em transferring to East Forsyth, would matriculate to northern Davidson County. Glenn is only a hop, skip, and frogs jump away, so maybe the unhappy campers from Winston- Salem could possibly consider North Davidson , Oak Grove, or Ledford. Is this feasible ?

Certainly it's feasible. I don't encourage it but I don't condemn it either, depending on circumstances. Thomasville should be larger than it is but politics froze the school district in the 80s so that even if the city got bigger the high school would not. Hence Ledford and East Davidson growth afterward but Thomasville getting smaller and smaller, from 3A in the 60s to 1A and barely 2A at times.

Lexington on the other hand was a 4A school in the 60s and has fluctuations from 2A to 3A but has essentially played down in 2A the last few years. There are extenuating circumstances also but pure population wise Lexington should be 3A.

Oak Grove seems to be the place parents want to be nowadays and the best recruiting tool is success. OG unquestionably has been the most consistent program. The only thing they're missing is a deep playoff run and victory. Time will tell but Rob is a great coach and the cupboard isn't exactly bare over there.

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
Certainly it's feasible. I don't encourage it but I don't condemn it either, depending on circumstances. Thomasville should be larger than it is but politics froze the school district in the 80s so that even if the city got bigger the high school would not. Hence Ledford and East Davidson growth afterward but Thomasville getting smaller and smaller, from 3A in the 60s to 1A and barely 2A at times.

Lexington on the other hand was a 4A school in the 60s and has fluctuations from 2A to 3A but has essentially played down in 2A the last few years. There are extenuating circumstances also but pure population wise Lexington should be 3A.

Oak Grove seems to be the place parents want to be nowadays and the best recruiting tool is success. OG unquestionably has been the most consistent program. The only thing they're missing is a deep playoff run and victory. Time will tell but Rob is a great coach and the cupboard isn't exactly bare over there.
In your previous essay, Mister Black Knight Nut, you covered all three school systems in Davidson County. Thomasville City, Lexington City, and the Davidson County school system. That is so strange that Thomasville has expanded their city limits and students inside the expanded zone attend Ledford and East Davidson, although East Davidson has been inside the Thomasville city limits for years. I'm assuming the possibility of these three school systems merging would be less that runnin' into Jennifer Aniston at the Thomasville Wal Mart as she browsed the produce section searchin' for cukes to chop up in her Cobb Salad ,donning pasties and dental floss as her bathing attire, her footwear consisting of two sizes too large Brogan boots, eagerly awaiting a sun splashed day on High Rock Lake.

Looks like some of the south Winston-Salem players, instead of almost all of 'em transferring to East Forsyth, would matriculate to northern Davidson County. Glenn is only a hop, skip, and frogs jump away, so maybe the unhappy campers from Winston- Salem could possibly consider North Davidson , Oak Grove, or Ledford. Is this feasible ?
No, Davidson County is very strict on outside district kids attending a school unless physical address.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT