ADVERTISEMENT

Mooresville Football

MooresvilleDevil06

Aug 28, 2012
Well this isn’t a post bashing any coach, player or anything like that. So if that’s what you’re here for, sorry you were click baited lol. This is mostly geared to those in the community that want to constantly run down every coach we have, no matter the circumstances, because Jimmy and joe doesn’t play every play.

so Lets begin here..

let’s talk Mooresville. Mooresville has talent. Mooresville has resources. Mooresville has strong community support. For many programs, if you have that you’re going to be wildly successful. So why doesn’t it always translate here? By in large, in my opinion, Mooresville has been their own worst enemy. Especially in recent years. And even more specifically ever since Capps retired. They have chewed up and spit out head coaches like it’s chewing gum. I think we’ve have something like 4 head coaches in 6 years? Idc if you’re an established power or Mooresville….. your program won’t be able to handle all of that CONSTANT change. Imagine being a player, being taught to do something one way, then another, then another. And then by the time you’re a senior having to do it all over again. You can’t win like that. So to those that are coaching from the bleachers, wanting another change at HC for this that or the other reason… stop. You are what is hindering this program. Buy in or get out. Or if you’re THAT certain your ideas will help create program growth… APPLY to be a coach!

now that that mini rant is out of the way, let’s get into some other factors why I feel we are where we are. And a lot of it isn’t directly in our own control.

-Geography and Population

Geographically speaking, Mooresville is in a weird spot. We are in an area where we have out grown our historical competition. We’ve out grown the statesvilles, west iredells, west rowans, etc etc! Our new geographical competition is the Lake Normans, Houghs, Hopewell, North Mecks, AL Brown, etc etc! But because of the population growth we are in a weird spot.. where we are too large for 3A, which is probably naturally where we fit as a program right now, but on the small end of 4A and having to compete against schools that sometimes have double the amount of students that we have. Which generally means deeper talent pools. Unless the NCHSAA ever expands to a 5 or 6 class system, we will ALWAYS have to work twice as hard just to have the opportunity to be on a level footing as the big boys. And that’s a mindset that needs to change here, which leads me to the next one

-mentality

As I said before, we now are the small fish in a giant pond. We will ALWAYS have to work harder, compete harder, to give ourselves a shot. Gone are the days where we can just out athlete our opponents, or wear them down because we have more depth. But I think a lot of our fans expectations are based on what we’ve done 20 years ago. And that’s just not where we are today. I don’t think the program has gotten worse. If you take the teams we have now and go back in time and put them in our 3A era teams…. We are a top 10-15 team. The talent we have today is as good as we’ve had. I can already hear the next part now in my head “So why aren’t you winning if the talent is better?”…. answer, simply put, the competition is also 10x better today than what we faced back then. And I don’t think our mindset as a Program, a school and a community has quite grasped that yet. The big boys we face today, football is a 24/7/365 sport. For a lot of people here, football is a June to November sport. And THAT is what sets schools like Hough Chambers, Myers Park, Providence, etc apart from us. And that will always set them apart until we adapt. Look at Lake Norman as an example. Those guys have started to buy into that and you’re already seeing the successes that they are having.

I genuinely believe Mooresville is one of those programs where when we put it all together, we have everything in place to really make some noise. I firmly believe that. But it takes everyone to buy into what that takes to reach that level, not just players and coaches. It also takes the community, the school board, etc etc.

Most people know my opinion n feeling so I won’t say it on here but I agree with this post

Mooresville has their own Graded School system. Maybe, it wouldn't be a bad idea if Mooresville built a new High School. So Mooresville might can drop down to 3A, but the Mooresville School Administration probably not going to do that. For example North Davidson once a 4A open up a new School Oak Grove. Probably felt that the number of students was over flowing. Mooresville is a booming area from a small mill town into an over developed area. People from all over moved to Mooresville..Most of them are Northerners from upstate New York. Reason for that it just happens to be closer to Charlotte. Some of the Northerners think Mooresville is Mecklenburg County it's not. Mooresville and Lake Norman are over flowing and so is South Iredell. As long as Mooresville is playing 4A football. They will be above average at best with 7 or 8 wins. Don't expect deep runs from Mooresville when it comes playoff time. Too much competition at 4A with Charlotte, Winston Salem, and Greensboro program to compete with. I agree if Mooresville was 3A or 2A they would make a much better run in the playoffs. Could Mooresville and Lake Norman be one of the biggest 4A School in the State.

Always felt Mooresville should build another high school near East Mooresville middle. Mooresville simply has outgrown its peers. I would love to see Mooresville back in 3a. That'll never happen. I just think Mooresville should look at it's youth programs, which I am a product of, my kids are current products of. Powerhouse dominates AAU from 8u through 13u. Mooresville middle wins its conference every year. Where or why is there a disconnect of success in high school. Personally I think the youth and middle coaches are more in tune, more passionate and definitely more innovative than the high school coaches. We need to more some of the middle and youth coaches to the high school... if possible

That was alot of people thought of Lake Norman High School win the School first opened up. Know one thought that Lake Norman could be Football, basketball, baseball School.
But LN always under achieves imo in Basketball n Baseball n Football they have always been Decent with few solid year in but Mooresville is the Football school imo but we struggle basketball wise but we will be better and also baseball won the state title before LN so …. Mooresville best sports is Wrestling, Cross Country , Maybe Soccer and Other individual stuff so

Ok I did look it up. Lake Norman won over Terry Sanford in 2010 4A State final basketball and also went to 4A State final in 2014 to lose a close one to Apex. If I recall the 1st State Championship was when Lake Norman was in 4A their 1st year being in it. It seems also they got a transfer from someone that was good in the Charlotte area. That part I could be wrong.

Reactions: Kylar2018
Ok I did look it up. Lake Norman won over Terry Sanford in 2010 4A State final basketball and also went to 4A State final in 2014 to lose a close one to Apex. If I recall the 1st State Championship was when Lake Norman was in 4A their 1st year being in it. It seems also they got a transfer from someone that was good in the Charlotte area. That part I could be wrong.
No, you're right. One of their best guards transferred in from North Meck.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Well this isn’t a post bashing any coach, player or anything like that. So if that’s what you’re here for, sorry you were click baited lol. This is mostly geared to those in the community that want to constantly run down every coach we have, no matter the circumstances, because Jimmy and joe doesn’t play every play.

so Lets begin here..

let’s talk Mooresville. Mooresville has talent. Mooresville has resources. Mooresville has strong community support. For many programs, if you have that you’re going to be wildly successful. So why doesn’t it always translate here? By in large, in my opinion, Mooresville has been their own worst enemy. Especially in recent years. And even more specifically ever since Capps retired. They have chewed up and spit out head coaches like it’s chewing gum. I think we’ve have something like 4 head coaches in 6 years? Idc if you’re an established power or Mooresville….. your program won’t be able to handle all of that CONSTANT change. Imagine being a player, being taught to do something one way, then another, then another. And then by the time you’re a senior having to do it all over again. You can’t win like that. So to those that are coaching from the bleachers, wanting another change at HC for this that or the other reason… stop. You are what is hindering this program. Buy in or get out. Or if you’re THAT certain your ideas will help create program growth… APPLY to be a coach!

now that that mini rant is out of the way, let’s get into some other factors why I feel we are where we are. And a lot of it isn’t directly in our own control.

-Geography and Population

Geographically speaking, Mooresville is in a weird spot. We are in an area where we have out grown our historical competition. We’ve out grown the statesvilles, west iredells, west rowans, etc etc! Our new geographical competition is the Lake Normans, Houghs, Hopewell, North Mecks, AL Brown, etc etc! But because of the population growth we are in a weird spot.. where we are too large for 3A, which is probably naturally where we fit as a program right now, but on the small end of 4A and having to compete against schools that sometimes have double the amount of students that we have. Which generally means deeper talent pools. Unless the NCHSAA ever expands to a 5 or 6 class system, we will ALWAYS have to work twice as hard just to have the opportunity to be on a level footing as the big boys. And that’s a mindset that needs to change here, which leads me to the next one

-mentality

As I said before, we now are the small fish in a giant pond. We will ALWAYS have to work harder, compete harder, to give ourselves a shot. Gone are the days where we can just out athlete our opponents, or wear them down because we have more depth. But I think a lot of our fans expectations are based on what we’ve done 20 years ago. And that’s just not where we are today. I don’t think the program has gotten worse. If you take the teams we have now and go back in time and put them in our 3A era teams…. We are a top 10-15 team. The talent we have today is as good as we’ve had. I can already hear the next part now in my head “So why aren’t you winning if the talent is better?”…. answer, simply put, the competition is also 10x better today than what we faced back then. And I don’t think our mindset as a Program, a school and a community has quite grasped that yet. The big boys we face today, football is a 24/7/365 sport. For a lot of people here, football is a June to November sport. And THAT is what sets schools like Hough Chambers, Myers Park, Providence, etc apart from us. And that will always set them apart until we adapt. Look at Lake Norman as an example. Those guys have started to buy into that and you’re already seeing the successes that they are having.

I genuinely believe Mooresville is one of those programs where when we put it all together, we have everything in place to really make some noise. I firmly believe that. But it takes everyone to buy into what that takes to reach that level, not just players and coaches. It also takes the community, the school board, etc etc.
You hit EVERYTHING on the HEAD!!! 1. You are with the BIG BOYS now, MECK COUNTY and you better act like it. Little Johnny can't be gone to the Beach all summer and not hit the weight room or want ot get his own trainer or show up when he feels like it. Not saying that is happening, but you must train Monday - Thursday during the summer. And you must train year round, that is a start. But if you per say your school belongs maybe in Big 3A or Small 4A, you still are going to have a problem come playoff time with the BIG BOYS most of the time. You will get that 1 or 2 special year, but you will be the Wake Forest or Dukes of the world. Sometime you just got to be realistic.

Always felt Mooresville should build another high school near East Mooresville middle. Mooresville simply has outgrown its peers. I would love to see Mooresville back in 3a. That'll never happen. I just think Mooresville should look at it's youth programs, which I am a product of, my kids are current products of. Powerhouse dominates AAU from 8u through 13u. Mooresville middle wins its conference every year. Where or why is there a disconnect of success in high school. Personally I think the youth and middle coaches are more in tune, more passionate and definitely more innovative than the high school coaches. We need to more some of the middle and youth coaches to the high school... if possible
These MS coaches are not playing schools from Meck County. That is the disconnect, trying to compare apples and oranges! Totally different ball at the HS level. Matter of fact, I coach travel baseball and we did pretty well against the teams from Mooresville when they travel to WS. Same when I was in AAU basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: do_you_tell
You hit EVERYTHING on the HEAD!!! 1. You are with the BIG BOYS now, MECK COUNTY and you better act like it. Little Johnny can't be gone to the Beach all summer and not hit the weight room or want ot get his own trainer or show up when he feels like it. Not saying that is happening, but you must train Monday - Thursday during the summer. And you must train year round, that is a start. But if you per say your school belongs maybe in Big 3A or Small 4A, you still are going to have a problem come playoff time with the BIG BOYS most of the time. You will get that 1 or 2 special year, but you will be the Wake Forest or Dukes of the world. Sometime you just got to be realistic.
Exactly. The frustrating part for me, as an alum, is less about the direction of the program, because I feel we have one of the best staffs we’ve had. But the mentality of the influences from outside. I don’t feel like as a whole, we have fully grasped the concept of having to put the work in on own own without coaches from December to June on a consistent basis. As I said there is that core group that does it, but it’s only a handful. 2ndly, the fan base and the administration (not the athletic dept) have got to realize our days of the status quo are gone. It’s fine to have high expectations for the program, they should be high Mooresville is one of the best places to play and coach football IMO, but as some point we have to realize the normalcy we are comfortable with from 2A and 3A doesn’t allow us to compete with these big boys. I genus believe it’s a mentality thing that holds us back Mooresville than anything. We had it once, then went back to the NPC from the Imeck , got complacent and lost everything culture wise. It feels like we as a community, have just accepted that we are a 1 and Done playoff team every year. And that frustrates me to no end bc I see the potential here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT