ADVERTISEMENT

MEC WEEK 8

Laney @ New Hanover - Laney continues to flex it's muscle and win. New Hanover got a big win over their rivals last week, but a lot gifts were laid at their feet. No gifts this week, but a win none the less. Laney comes back to earth and can't play with the athletes that New Hanover have.

Ashley @ Topsail - Ashley got beat by the more athletic team last week, but fought the whole game. Topsail continues to struggle with no answers. Ashley wins in a ugly game

West Brunswick @ South Brunswick - Not much to say about this one either ... West should win easy against a very weak Cougar team

Hoggard (Open) - Needed break for a team whose playoffs hopes will probably end with one more loss.

Last edited:
The NH - Laney game was an old fashioned dog fight. These two got after it HARD. I suspect both teams are glad to get an extra day to rest with NH at WB next week and Laney playing Hoggard. Watkins is the real deal and the Laney defense is solid. Special teams and NH being able to stay balanced on offense were the difference. NH did a much better job on Watkins in the second half. A little sloppy and a lot chippy but overall that was a heck of a game.

I thought some dropped balls hurt NH. I know they were wet but 11 was on the money tonight. The rain def hurt NH more. Walston can flat throw the ball. Laney plays hard and 20 has good speed and he hurt NH, he's a soph. I can't help but wonder what the Laney coaches are feeling after an unsportsmanlike flag killed a drive that had reached the NH 20. Laney had driven it all the way down the field and had NH reeling. Someone on the Laney sideline (not a coach or player) yells profanity directly at a NH player. He called the player by his number and the ref was standing right there. Good call, no place for that around kids. The call kills the drive and Laney gets no points and end up losing by 1. NH is in the drivers seat again.

Sounds like a hard fought game, but a lot of dumb penalties. Both teams are more than halfway through the season and should be over that. The flag on the Laney sideline is inexcusable ... If I was Coach Yeoman, I would be furious. Laney could of at least tried a field goal from the 20. Laney's kicker has a strong leg. Walston seems to have taken advantage of his time while Meehan was hurt. Could be the next solid QB there at New Hanover and the receivers they have doesn't hurt. West Brunswick is the last challenge for the Wildcats on the regular season schedule.

Surprised that Topsail beat Ashley. It sounded like a good game and Ashley came up short at the end. Ashley has lost all their momentum that they had at the beginning of the year. Poor play and injuries haven't helped. Joe Barbera for Ashley is fun to watch though and is a beast on the defensive line.

West Brunswick did what I thought they would do against South Brunswick. I can't figure out why South is as bad as they are ... They might have the biggest offensive line in the conference with a capable running back and haven't been able to do very much with it. I know parents and fans are getting frustrated with what is going on in Boiling Spring Lakes.

SB has no WR. They do have a big line but teams can stack the box on them and SB can't make them pay.

Nice W for the wildcats but are they consistent enough to clear the last test against WB. I for one think they do but West will probably hang tough.
The Ashley-Topsail game was a tale of 2 games, the Eagles showed better speed early and jumped out to a 24-3 lead but after that it was all topsail as they dominated both sides of the ball. The Freshman RB for topsail passed 1,000 rushing yards and has only played 6 games.
West scored so fast on South they were up 2-3 scores before the first update was posted. Wait....Bubba just scored again.

Reactions: portcity FB
2-1 last week
NH-Laney was a great game. Both teams slugged it out.
I was surprised that Topsail beat AHS. Ashley has shown that they do wear down but I thought they would have enough. I think some injuries have caught up to them. Props to Topsail for not giving up and fighting to the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT