ADVERTISEMENT

MA/Tarboro Round 4

Folks saying Tarboro needs to change their offense are wrong. Look how dominant they have been. They ran into a defense that defends the T pretty well. They didn't have but one close game all year till today

Folks saying Tarboro needs to change their offense are wrong. Look how dominant they have been. They ran into a defense that defends the T pretty well. They didn't have but one close game all year till today

That's because the teams they play down east are terrible and undisciplined. I think they need more of a passing game because when they do get down in a playoff game and a team can defend what they do, they can't play from behind with their offense.

Last edited:
I would think Murphy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hayesville fight to win SMC next year. They had a young team this year.
Until Murphy figures some things out on the defensive side of the ball they're not going to be a serious title threat. Simply have not been good enough on that side of the ball since Nelson left.

The tradition is there in Murphy, but I feel like ever since gentry left it just hasn’t been the same brand of football. But quite honestly could we ever expect it to be. Big shoes to feel. It’s possible with the right hire but that hire is a hard find. Watching coach Teagues son coach reidsville to a title yesterday made me believe those carry overs are possible as the rams didn’t miss a beat. Don’t know what the upcoming Talent level is in Murphy but sometimes tradition and expectations find talent in hidden places. Murphy is my second favorite team in the west behind the bears. Nothing would make me happier to see that brand of football deep in the playoffs again. Deff gonna be interesting to see what realignment does to conferences in 2025

That's because the teams they play down east are terrible and undisciplined. I think they need more of a passing game because when they do get down in a playoff game and a team can defend what they do, they can't play from behind with their offense.
There is something to this Thunder. A lot of our old timers remember the T having a lot more wrinkles than we’ve seen the last couple of years. No way Tarboro ditches the T, but I think our folks are wondering why there aren’t more outside, screen or counter options to give the offense a bit more balance.

I wasn't talking state title, i only mean SMC. Stalcup gone, but Clem is solid and Payne is a major threat that could play several roles in run and pass game. Could be a really good offense. Yes, the defense needs work, but it's not horrible. Was Swain d-line seniors? That would probably play a factor in SMC order next year too.

There is something to this Thunder. A lot of our old timers remember the T having a lot more wrinkles than we’ve seen the last couple of years. No way Tarboro ditches the T, but I think our folks are wondering why there aren’t more outside, screen or counter options to give the offense a bit more balance.
If the T is broken why did they have 5,000 yards rushing this season and 13-1 record....just maybe the Bears D was that good!

Buzz hit the nail on the head above. The T ran into a 1a dynasty defense yesterday. This bear’s defense goes down as one of the best that has played at the 1a level. Most points this year was scored in second string team. Robbinsville scored on one play. Best back outside of mason in 1a football couldn’t run it. Possibly best at any level in state. ER had most success scoring 21. Murphy scored a couple on starting d. Not much going this year for any of the teams that played the bears. This defense was just that good. Let’s be honest, if the Bears punt it away in the first half on the one possession then the Vikings are egged on the score board. Better time management on the closing drive of the first half the bears score there as well. I think the 21-3 score is a win for the Vikings in itself. The second half had a feeling like it could have gotten out of hand at any moment

I think a team can develop a solid passing game out of the T. It's also easy to run inside all day when you constantly face weaker opponents. Tarboro has the athletes. Get them out in the flats, and to the edge and let them go to work..

I think a team can develop a solid passing game out of the T. It's also easy to run inside all day when you constantly face weaker opponents. Tarboro has the athletes. Get them out in the flats, and to the edge and let them go to work..
I think there is a reason our offense has been so reliant on underclassmen the last two years. After the year we won the two state championships in 2021, there just weren’t enough upperclassmen to effectively fill those positions. Every program has ups and downs, but next year’s team will be loaded with upperclassmen.

Your point is well taken. Tarboro tends to not need the rest of the playbook against 1A East talent. That said, if you know you need it later in the year, you need to use those plays in game situations during the year. Sacrifice a couple of those running clocks and take time to work on the other facets of your offense. Of course, then you get accused of attempting to run up the score by throwing the ball with a big lead, but you have to do it sometime.

If the T is broken why did they have 5,000 yards rushing this season and 13-1 record....just maybe the Bears D was that good!
Oh the Bears are that good, Buzz. And the Tarboro teams in years gone by did have a wider array of plays in the playbook. Both these things can be correct.

I think there is a reason our offense has been so reliant on underclassmen the last two years. After the year we won the two state championships in 2021, there just weren’t enough upperclassmen to effectively fill those positions. Every program has ups and downs, but next year’s team will be loaded with upperclassmen.

Your point is well taken. Tarboro tends to not need the rest of the playbook against 1A East talent. That said, if you know you need it later in the year, you need to use those plays in game situations during the year. Sacrifice a couple of those running clocks and take time to work on the other facets of your offense. Of course, then you get accused of attempting to run up the score by throwing the ball with a big lead, but you have to do it sometime.
The covid pandemic also hit our program pretty hard too. We graduated a really big senior class from that spring 2021 championship team. The last three Tarboro teams have been extremely young with very few seniors.

I also don't believe like some on here our offense is broken. But with that being said, I do believe Tarboro has to evolve somewhat. I'm not even talking about going full on spread but some different types of running plays. Honestly I do wish in our conference games Tarboro would experiment a little bit.

what I can’t figure out is why two outstanding programs, Mt Airy, NC and Galax, VA, located only twenty miles or so from each other, both state champions, won’t consider scheduling each other..?? I know of many HS programs that go WAY out of their way to face off with quality competition from out of state.

Things get interesting for the Vikings in realignment. The addition of Wallace rose hill, northeastern, whiteville, and Princeton turn the east into a gauntlet come playoff time. Appears the west goes soft for MA.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
what I can’t figure out is why two outstanding programs, Mt Airy, NC and Galax, VA, located only twenty miles or so from each other, both state champions, won’t consider scheduling each other..?? I know of many HS programs that go WAY out of their way to face off with quality competition from out of state.
I agree on the statement, but quite honestly most years this game isn’t competitive. Leaning heavy in the bears favor. Would like to see the bears against a Graham or Radford though. Could be great matchups year in and year out

looking at realignment number’s Tarboro is under 500…are folks leaving or what ….seems low for them (not very familiar with that part of State) Bears possibly headed up to 3A…got some large classes in middle school

Things get interesting for the Vikings in realignment. The addition of Wallace rose hill, northeastern, whiteville, and Princeton turn the east into a gauntlet come playoff time. Appears the west goes soft for MA.
I believe a lot of the Viking fans on this board would love the chance to play the teams you’ve mentioned here. We already have SWE and Hertford Co. on our schedule now, but those games Tarboro played against the Duplin County teams were truly classics.

The last projections I looked at had Wallace Rose Hill going to 3a along with northeastern. Not sure about Princeton or whiteville. Did they update recently or did you see another realignment projection?

I wasn't talking state title, i only mean SMC. Stalcup gone, but Clem is solid and Payne is a major threat that could play several roles in run and pass game. Could be a really good offense. Yes, the defense needs work, but it's not horrible. Was Swain d-line seniors? That would probably play a factor in SMC order next year too.
Swain D line was all JR and on the oline they have to replace 1 lineman . They loss their QB, both RBs so it will be interesting to see who fill those shoe.

Come out slinging it against teams you know you will beat then go to the ground game.

What Tarboro does is run the football …end of story…..Bears “D” is good! Bears knew what was coming and with everyone on that defense a year older it was gonna be tough for Vikings to move the ball…young O line…they are one of “the” programs in NC High School football and always will be…they’ve just ran into another good program the last 2 seasons

It wouldn't be much of a game. They mopped to the floor with Galax last year at their scrimmage. Did the same with Grayson this year. One a football is not much up there.

Reactions: sbbbfan
It wouldn't be much of a game. They mopped to the floor with Galax last year at their scrimmage. Did the same with Grayson this year. One a football is not much up there.
Instead of galax, they should play Reidsville. I think this year would have been a good game. Mount Airy would stop the run, but could they stop that deadly receiving core Reidsville has?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I agree with the Kidd. Mt Airy would not have able to stop Riedsville’s passing game. Not sure anybody except maybe Weddington could have.

After watching all four championship games i am amazed at the quality of teams representing the West. Having said that the Hickory 71st game game was just fantastic.

While I believe Mt Airy is a fine football team and the well deserved 1A SC…
The answer to your question is no…
If they had played this year it would have been early in the year and Reidsville had #15, #5, and #1 out injured. Reidsville defense got better last half of the season so MA may have beaten them first of the season.

I agree with the Kidd. Mt Airy would not have able to stop Riedsville’s passing game. Not sure anybody except maybe Weddington could have.

After watching all four championship games i am amazed at the quality of teams representing the West. Having said that the Hickory 71st game game was just fantastic.
I think coaching in the West overall was better than the East

If they had played this year it would have been early in the year and Reidsville had #15, #5, and #1 out injured. Reidsville defense got better last half of the season so MA may have beaten them first of the season.
Well possibly but we will never know that. The question I responded to was if Mt Airy could cover the current Reidsville passing game, as in the one I saw Saturday, and as me and Mr Whitley both agree, I’m not sure how many teams I saw play in championship games that could have.
The tight end/slot receiver would be a difficult matchup for anyone.

Reactions: gdawg74
I think coaching in the West overall was better than the East

I think that's a good argument too. Not saying there isn't good coaching down East as there are some great coaches. However outside of coastal towns, it's a hard sell for some schools to get quality coaches and some schools are a revolving door or stepping stone. Many of those towns have little to nothing to offer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT