ADVERTISEMENT

Lincolnton 43 East Gaston 33

Lincolnton

Nov 19, 2002
I had to work until 10 PM, Friday, but still got to see the second half due to a long lightning delay. For most of the first half East Gaston must have beaten us in every way. At one point and pretty early in the game the Warriors had us down 26-7, or at least this is what the score was when I turned on the radio for an update.

Lincolnton came back with a couple of scores later and seemed to have the momentum as they pulled within six points, but when the Wolves appeared to have held EG and would go into the break on a high note, as time expired, some seconds were put back on the clock. East Gaston took advantage of it and scored on a pass giving themselves a 12 point cushion.

In the second half Lincolnton came back scoring twenty-two points and our defense was able to keep them out of the end zone. I would say that the long delay benefitted the home team but our guys fought hard to come back and win. Way to go, y'all.

Side Note: I am a loyal wolf and am grateful for every minute and every ounce of effort our coaching staff and players puts into to the game, but this year I've seen more than usual instances where some of our guys had to be restrained from confronting opposing players by fellow players and coaches. Provocative things happens and sometimes it's hard for a young person to keep his temper, especially in something as passionate as sports...Lincolnton football is admired by many of its opponents for its class and discipline which the entire community is proud of. I would hope that as a player you would think of your team first. What might seem emotionally satisfying isn't always helpful. We need you on the field and not in the stands. Please consider what your coaches have to say about this.
Go Wolves.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Well said Mr. Lincolnton. East Gaston has some big strong kids this year. Good win in a tough nonconference schedule.

Well Lincolnton they did take to us early. For the most part we missed assignments. No one and I mean no one was covering receivers. We corrected that during the lighting delay.

It was the tell of 2 games. We pretty much scored at will before the delay. The last play before the delay we had a wide open receiver 30 yards behind everybody and the ball hit him in the finger tips. If we get that score we go up 4 TD's at the break. After the break it was pretty much all Lincolnton. We had some chances but couldn't capitalize on them. We got some guys dinged up (looked like mostly ankles) after the break, which concerns me. Hats off to Lincolnton, they didn't quit and their coaching staff made some good adjustments. RB (22) killed us.

From a parent standpoint of 2 already graduated Lincolnton players( Demery Brewer and Danieko Givens) and a current Lincolnton player(Langdon Givens)...just from my boys over the years we have carried ourselves with high regard on our conduct and sportsmanship...but for some reason this year in transition our players as well as coaches have been tested by our opposition on mental focus....I trust in what my son tells me from his perspective on the field...from the officials to the players....it has been trying to maintain control when you are against the wall so to speak....being "dirty" will bring that out of any player....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT