ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington / Thomasville BBQ Question

btango

Nov 5, 2003
Had the son of a ref from back in the late 1960's and 1970's ask me this. Father was in the North State Football Officials Association out of Greensboro but lived in Charlotte area.

One of the BBQ joints would stay open late on Fridays or they would make orders for the football refs to pick up after their games. Many of the refs would pass by on the way home from a game so I am guessing I-85 or Business 85. Not sure what the highways were like fifty plus years ago. I thought of Lexington BBQ and Speedy's. Does anyone know what BBQ spot that may have been?

Had the son of a ref from back in the late 1960's and 1970's ask me this. Father was in the North State Football Officials Association out of Greensboro but lived in Charlotte area.

One of the BBQ joints would stay open late on Fridays or they would make orders for the football refs to pick up after their games. Many of the refs would pass by on the way home from a game so I am guessing I-85 or Business 85. Not sure what the highways were like fifty plus years ago. I thought of Lexington BBQ and Speedy's. Does anyone know what BBQ spot that may have been?

No clue but you helped me decide on lunch today.

Not sure about Lexington or Thomasville area, but When you went to Reidsville HS, there was always Short Sugars BBQ in the locker room for officials.

My favorite Lexington one is BBQ Center.

In Lexington, it’s mostly Lexington BBQ vs. The Barbecue Center. I prefer the latter, but the former is more publicized. There are others, but they usually come up short, at least from a publlcity standpoint.
In Thomasville, the gold standard was Tommy’s until the second generation ran it into the ground. Closed now. BBQ Shack and Terryhouse are okay, but no competition for the others.
Eastern style is dry pork jerky.

Last edited:

Clarys? Guess that was Winston area.

OC, I am not familiar with that BBQ place in Winston. I knew the Clary family personally, that owned Sportsman supply and was very involved in officiating.
I was referring to the “son of a ref”in btango’s post😊. But Clary’s would be a good name for a bbq joint.
Yep, those Clarys were my reference. Good folks.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
From the Mid-West (Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma,ect). I am now in the Black Hole of Pork BBQ. After many years in NC I really miss it. Its "Wheres the Beef" here. Brisket, Ribs rule here. Missouri being the 2nd largest producer of beef. I have resorted to having my son import my down-east BBQ sauce from NC and do my own pork butts.

Oh and enjoy the weather there. 3"+ in a brief snow shower early this morning. I had to clean off my internet dish, it was a wet snow and sticks to everything.

Didn’t word that very well😎. He and I were in the same class…but I was thirty miles away in Chapel Hill.
Oh, I see!

I didn't read it very well. I was afraid l'd lost my mind. That 50 years of my life had been a lie.

Oh, I see!

I didn't read it very well. I was afraid l'd lost my mind. That 50 years of my life had been a lie.
Always liked Burleson and, of course, anybody would have wanted Thompson on their team. The rest of the crowd…not so much. Plus, I was a huge John Wooden and Bill Walton fan.

Reactions: AlwaysAWolf
Randy's BBQ in troutman and Gary's BBQ in China Grove are staples in those towns........ Also Ofc Red Bridges and Alston Bridges BBQ in Shelby are staples as well

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
That church down the road about 5 mins away from where I live makes some of the best BBQ. But they only do it twice a year. One in the spring and one in the fall. But I make sure I get in on it when time comes. Lol.

This is not Lexington/Thomasville BBQ but I heard of Butts on the Creek BBQ in Maggie Valley and Bennetts Pit BBQ in Gatlinburg TN. I was wondering if anyone has ate at these places, if so what are your thoughts about the food.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT