ADVERTISEMENT

Is the East really a cakewalk?

Yeah I've noticed for whatever reason tarboro Is hated by certain robbinsville posters. Idk what we did to them. You could have easily made the argument that the East was weak the last couple of years aside from us and edenton. But in my opinion you cannot make that case this year.

They hate Thomasville too for some reason. Maybe they just hate everyone that has indoor toilets. 😁

Reactions: sbbbfan
Hey just stating my opinion I'm not a Mt airy fan and I was rooting for tarboro today...I saw every top 1a west team play this year and I think Mt airy had the most potential/talented team to compete with tarboro. But talent and potential doesn't always leads to wins.
Well maybe next year they will. They were just young this year, then again so was tarboro.

Yeah I've noticed for whatever reason tarboro Is hated by certain robbinsville posters. Idk what we did to them. You could have easily made the argument that the East was weak the last couple of years aside from us and edenton. But in my opinion you cannot make that case this year.
I posted on another thread that Tarboro was 20 points better than anything the West could offer and was called a jerk by the Mitchell faithful so I let it go. I made those post last Saturday so I’m not just picking on poor old Mitchell. Congratulations Tarboro on another championship.. I’m not even going to get back on that thread to say I told you so. Hahahaha

You went from Mitchell was going to walk all over tarboro to the West is weak 😂
You’re right. I did suspect that Mitchell would roll Tarboro. I’m not scared to admit it. But I do know that everyone that knows anything about the west would agree that We sent the best team in the west but that best team wasn’t a “standard” west team.

Reactions: Mhsneer
The one thing that hurt Northampton county was that they were very undisciplined. Very talented but very very undisciplined when they played us I lost count how many times a personal foul should have occurred.
They’ve always been talented. But when they get to the championship they normally get blown out.

And for those posters saying things about Robbinsville posters, I can’t speak for the other guys but I personally don’t have anything against the Vikings. I’m glad the east is able to put something out there worth the drive to the stadium to see the games in the championship. The state championship has up until this year been played in the western championship. Whoever wins that game has almost always been a shoe in to win state. Not the case anymore and that’s a good thing.

And for those posters saying things about Robbinsville posters, I can’t speak for the other guys but I personally don’t have anything against the Vikings. I’m glad the east is able to put something out there worth the drive to the stadium to see the games in the championship. The state championship has up until this year been played in the western championship. Whoever wins that game has almost always been a shoe in to win state. Not the case anymore and that’s a good thing.
Judging by the 3A classification you could easily make the statement that the Western regional final is the state championship game.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Tarboro was down from years past but this was the weakest west I've seen as far as top end teams go, literally ever. A lot of solid football teams in the west this year but no great teams. I said as much before the playoffs even got going. I thought Eastern Randolph might have met the criteria before playoffs began but after how Murphy handled them, that wasn't the case.

As far as the 1A East being weak, I always gave Edenton credit during Tarboro's run, they were legit, but outside of them most years it was just literally Tarboro once Wallace Rose Hill and a few other good eastern teams moved up to 2A in 2017. I think generally speaking the 1A west is much deeper than the 1A east, not sure that's even really debatable.

I also think football is a game of matchups, Mitchell proved that they were the best team in the 1A west this year no doubt about it, but I do think there were other one or two western teams that had they played Tarboro today, could have given Tarboro a better game.
Mbdfan is one of my favorite posters. Really respect his take. I will say he needs to go back to his mountain man avatar!

I think the east was definitely up this year. Pender will be a problem as long as Coach Eanes is there. Tarboro makes a lot of teams look bad and they often beat some good teams over here before the championship game.

Mbdfan is one of my favorite posters. Really respect his take. I will say he needs to go back to his mountain man avatar!

I think the east was definitely up this year. Pender will be a problem as long as Coach Eanes is there. Tarboro makes a lot of teams look bad and they often beat some good teams over here before the championship game.
Great post! I’m not dare trying to say the East is loaded but 17-20 we had edenton and Princeton in the East. Princeton gave Wallace all they wanted last week, edenton made it to the 2a title game in 16. We played west Montgomery in the East in 17 who had represented the west the year before in the title game, so we played some good teams, we are just so talented those years, we made good teams look average or even a little below.

Like I said in a post earlier, Murphy and Tarboro need to meet up in the title game one of these years. “Good” Murphy teams have the style, toughness, coaching, speed, and talent to throw at Tarboro. Might be enough, might not, but we gotta find out one of these years!
I am really hoping this matchup happens in the next 3 years.

I am really hoping this matchup happens in the next 3 years.
I dont see Murphy having the talent to challenge a team of Tarboro's historical level in the next 3 years. This fall was going to be the last season Murphy had the on paper talent to seriously compete for a state title for a while based on returners and what's coming up the immediate pipeline talent wise. Unfortunately due to coaching turnover and other issues this fall's team never reached their potential and with it went the last opportunity for a while from a Jimmy and Joe's perspective IMO.

Last edited:
All I know is is that all week long I heard Mitchell was going to run over tarboro by certain posters on here and Mitchell loses and now it's "tHe WeSt wAs dOwN tHiS yEaR" mOuNt aIrY wOuLD hAvE gIvEn tHeM a BeTtEr GaMe ThAn mItChElL dID" (even though mount airy lost in the 4th round). Simply put tarboro is extremely hated by certain posters. I thought the East was very competitive this year. Pender imo had they beaten us would have probably won the State title

Sometimes it takes luck of the draw the way NCHSAA sets up the playoffs to win championships on both sides.
How many in recent years if there wasn't a split A AA are there teams that wouldn't have won a championship? Or got lucky a better team who's ADM each year was on the bubble going between A & AA that year got put in the other division?
The theme that the west was weak this because it was Mitchell instead of the usual suspects and because they lost to the East well bull on that if they had never went to the split there's teams that won the A who didn't have to play Wallace Rose or Tarboro or East Surry. To imply that this year was a weak year for the West is to imply recent years wasn't to I can only assume last includes last spring well from what I can see Tarboro who beat ER last spring in the AA would have beaten Murphy who won the A Murphy won the championship 14-7 against a team that Tarboro beat 53-14. Not to pick on Murphy but it just the most recent example but Mitchell has been a bubble team and I've seen years I believe they could have won the A but that year had to go to AA even though the year before they were in A with the same number of students. I wasn't going to post anymore but it just bugged that Mitchell was getting cased as the team who represented the West just because it was weak this year.

Sometimes it takes luck of the draw the way NCHSAA sets up the playoffs to win championships on both sides.
How many in recent years if there wasn't a split A AA are there teams that wouldn't have won a championship? Or got lucky a better team who's ADM each year was on the bubble going between A & AA that year got put in the other division?
The theme that the west was weak this because it was Mitchell instead of the usual suspects and because they lost to the East well bull on that if they had never went to the split there's teams that won the A who didn't have to play Wallace Rose or Tarboro or East Surry. To imply that this year was a weak year for the West is to imply recent years wasn't to I can only assume last includes last spring well from what I can see Tarboro who beat ER last spring in the AA would have beaten Murphy who won the A Murphy won the championship 14-7 against a team that Tarboro beat 53-14. Not to pick on Murphy but it just the most recent example but Mitchell has been a bubble team and I've seen years I believe they could have won the A but that year had to go to AA even though the year before they were in A with the same number of students. I wasn't going to post anymore but it just bugged that Mitchell was getting cased as the team who represented the West just because it was weak this year.
Great post! I feel for you guys! All week had folks praising you, then when you lose, it’s because other teams were actually better. Don’t worry about the haters, no one can take away the fact that you all are the western champs

To imply that this year was a weak year for the West is to imply recent years wasn't to I can only assume last includes last spring well from what I can see Tarboro who beat ER last spring in the AA would have beaten Murphy who won the A Murphy won the championship 14-7 against a team that Tarboro beat 53-14. Not to pick on Murphy but it just the most recent example but Mitchell has been a bubble team and I've seen years I believe they could have won the A but that year had to go to AA even though the year before they were in A with the same number of students. I wasn't going to post anymore but it just bugged that Mitchell was getting cased as the team who represented the West just because it was weak this year.
No really it isn't, East Surry was a strong team this spring, they were pretty close to a traditional western 1A rep. Murphy in little 1A was a good team, not a great team, it's the weakest Murphy title team talent wise by a long shot, but they got hot at the right time, played good defense and really came together during the playoffs, not too dissimilar to what Mitchell did this fall.

Question, do you think this Mitchell team had the overall talent of the '15 Mitchell team, the '18 Mitchell team? the '19 Mitchell team?. To say the west was weak at the top this year isn't a discredit to Mitchell. Mitchell has had really good football teams, this fall was a good football team too but talent wise, no they were not on the level of a traditional 1A western rep or some of the past Mitchell teams, I'm sorry if that somehow offends you but it's the truth.

All I know is is that all week long I heard Mitchell was going to run over tarboro by certain posters on here and Mitchell loses and now it's "tHe WeSt wAs dOwN tHiS yEaR" mOuNt aIrY wOuLD hAvE gIvEn tHeM a BeTtEr GaMe ThAn mItChElL dID" (even though mount airy lost in the 4th round). Simply put tarboro is extremely hated by certain posters. I thought the East was very competitive this year. Pender imo had they beaten us would have probably won the State title

Great post! I feel for you guys! All week had folks praising you, then when you lose, it’s because other teams were actually better. Don’t worry about the haters, no one can take away the fact that you all are the western champs
Football is about match ups. The year y’all lost to East surry we played them closer than anyone. Mt airy fans we know what it’s like to lose in part due to refs but that’s sports. That’s football. Bottom line to play in the state championship you’ve got to be really good and a little lucky. Last year y’all took it to East pretty good. Same East team that beat maiden. Played in western regional finals2a.

No really it isn't, East Surry was a strong team this spring, they were pretty close to a traditional western 1A rep. Murphy in little 1A was a good team, not a great team, it's the weakest Murphy title team talent wise by a long shot, but they got hot at the right time, played good defense and really came together during the playoffs, not too dissimilar to what Mitchell did this fall.

Question, do you think this Mitchell team had the overall talent of the '15 Mitchell team, the '18 Mitchell team? the '19 Mitchell team?. To say the west was weak at the top this year isn't a discredit to Mitchell. Mitchell has had really good football teams, this fall was a good football team too but talent wise, no they were not on the level of a traditional 1A western rep or some of the past Mitchell teams, I'm sorry if that somehow offends you but it's the truth.
Hard to compare to pass Mitchell teams the '15 especially and the '19 team probably faired better yesterday because they passed more as been said it about match ups and I believe a passing team matches up better with Tarboro but I don't believe any of them including this year's Tarboro would have beaten the '15 Wallace Rose team and if say like the '15 and this year's Mitchell team played I don't know while probably a overall better offense could strike quickly with the pass I couldn't tell you which line was better could the '15 stop today's teams running game? Hard to say.
But the 1A west tradition what would it be if the playoff format had been just one 1A championship as it is this year say the pass 10 years what would the tradition be then? From what I see the west may have won 2 maybe 3 of them of course East Surry and Swain one year because I believe that year they won the AA and Murphy won the A and you might come up with another but mainly the only reason it seems there's a 1A west tradition is because there was a split A AA the west has dominated the A but not the AA and I just don't see many time at least the last 10 years that the A was better then the AA.

Bingo. Noticed alot bandwagon mountain fans and Robbinsville fans specifically with the most mouth. For whatever reason everyone ignored Tarboro and the rest of the east.

But yeah, the East always produced great teams from what I remembered. Was hoping to hear more about 1A East since joining the board. Too many mountain boys pretending to be Shelby and Reidsville.
"Too many mountain boys pretending to be Shelby and Reidsville." Well yea, when it comes to 1a football, they pretty often ARE. Just sitting here remembering some of these SC games, I remember Murphy winning some, SWAIN winning more than their share, Robbinsville has what, 15 titles? Throw in Cherokee who won two or 3 years ago, SO, Yea,....When any SMC conference team finds themselves in the title game, especially after a tougher road just to get there, It is a good bet they will be more than competitive, despite demographic and ADM disadvantages in many cases.

"Too many mountain boys pretending to be Shelby and Reidsville." Well yea, when it comes to 1a football, they pretty often ARE. Just sitting here remembering some of these SC games, I remember Murphy winning some, SWAIN winning more than their share, Robbinsville has what, 15 titles? Throw in Cherokee who won two or 3 years ago, SO, Yea,....When any SMC conference team finds themselves in the title game, especially after a tougher road just to get there, It is a good bet they will be more than competitive, despite demographic and ADM disadvantages in many cases.
That’s hilarious to me

In my opinion...with a smart coaching staff mt airy would have given tarboro a better game...#1 and #8 would have been able to move the ball better than Mitchell did today.
Yep we had more than a QB that could move the ball but that thing you know the the thing keeps holding us back Biden syndrome it's high time Mt Airy gets tough lol something tells me I shouldn't post this before I do but I'm hitting send

Reactions: sbbbfan
Yep we had more than a QB that could move the ball but that thing you know the the thing keeps holding us back Biden syndrome it's high time Mt Airy gets tough lol something tells me I shouldn't post this before I do but I'm hitting send
Strange comparison. BIden, if memory serves, WON. I cant think of one in a long career that he DIDNT win. He is the Shelby of politics. Mt Airy. also, if memory serves', did not win. THey are not the Shelby of football. You sure thats the right example you want to use to make your point?

Reactions: Old Mountaineer

Pender should have a good group of players coming back that play both ways including a DT that has already been offered by Old Dominion who wasn't anywhere near 100% for the Tarboro game and only played a handful of snaps against Northside. Next season should be a good one!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT