ADVERTISEMENT

Is Football in danger

There are definitely wide spread changes that need to happen. The game has already changed drastically over the past 10 years with new rules going into effect. I think the next step is to evaluate and create better equipment. We are starting to see different types of helmets coming out now, but I believe more needs to be invested in the research and development of equipment. We are also seeing changes in the way tackling is taught. The most prominent is the Hawk style tackling. I have seen that style of tackling implemented and it resulted in fewer missed tackles as well as fewer concussions. In my opinion one of the most over looked aspects of preventative measures is the weight room. There are certain exercises that strengthen the neck that reduce the likely hood of concussions. If they are implemented as a part of the strength and conditioning program the number of concussions in a given year will decrease. To make a long story short I believe that if advances in equipment are made, proper techniques are taught and preventative measures are taken this game that we all love will be around for a long time.

I have three sons, and all play football and are defensive players one plays in college. I always told my kids especially the one in college if you get concussions hang up your cleats for good. So far my to youngest haven't had any and my oldest is in his junior year in college and has only had 1 concussion and that was this past year. But if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have put them in football but instead focus more on wrestle. For me its because football is a game of giants. no matter how good you are what your stats look like at the end of the day you will be judge on your height and size. if your 're small you better be super fast.

I have seen people argue and argue about this for a few years now and it seems to me that people just don't want to admit to themselves what is staring them in the face, which I attribute to the "macho" type A personalities that run wild in sports like football. I'm not even sure why some of the injuries are being brought up in this argument. Broken bones happen all the time in all sports and life in general, but head and neck injuries are a different story. So far I've seen three main arguments for people supporting football.

1. Play flag football until their old enough. Hate to break it to you, but I've lost two teeth and had 3 concussions in two month period playing flag football. I'm only 35 and have been dealing with the long term effects of this for more than 6 years now.
2. "Well kids get hurt in other sports". True and yes they even get concussions, but tell me a sport where anytime you have the ball in your hand you will get hit, unless you run out of bounds which we don't want you to do because then you're not a man? Heck you can even get hit when you don't have the ball. Everyone seems to forget that it's not just diagnosed concussions that people need to worry about, but even the minor repeated blows to the head the add up. Again, don't give me the well this kid broke this playing this sport or riding this bike because all you're doing is deflecting the real reason people have an issue with football and that is head and neck injuries.
3. My favorite one of all. Well we can teach the kids to tackle differently and the equipment is getting better thanks to technology. This answer makes me think some people skipped class to lift weights or took one too many hits to the head themselves. Yes, better tackling techniques can reduce the risk of neck injuries if done every single time which we know doesn't happen. The technology part is what really gets me though. I really want someone to tell me what technology and what super space age helmet is going to prevent concussions? You do realize that you can suffer a concussion without actually getting hit in the head right? I have linked a video to this in case some of you don't understand. I'd also be willing to bet it will only get worse because as humans we keep evolving and as we get bigger and faster the impacts will only be more brutal.

Before everyone starts jumping all over me, I loved playing football and still love the game to this day. If I could go back and do it all over again would I? Most likely no, just because I know what can happen long term. I do however think that it's not your business to judge others for not wanting their kids to play because of the long term mental health implications just as it's not their business to judge us because we knocked ourselves stupid and loved every minute of it. All I'm asking is that people quit making these asinine comparisons and statements as their reasoning for the support of this game we all love.

Equipment upgrades are no different then car upgrades. Years ago if you got hit at 35 mph in a Studebaker you were dead now you can barrel roll your sports car at 70 mph and walk away.

Reactions: formerviking10
I have three sons, and all play football and are defensive players one plays in college. I always told my kids especially the one in college if you get concussions hang up your cleats for good. So far my to youngest haven't had any and my oldest is in his junior year in college and has only had 1 concussion and that was this past year. But if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have put them in football but instead focus more on wrestle. For me its because football is a game of giants. no matter how good you are what your stats look like at the end of the day you will be judge on your height and size. if your 're small you better be super fast.
My son separated from football and concentrated solely on wrestling starting his junior year. You are right that football is more about size and wrestling is more about skill because size doesn't matter since its all about weight groups. As far as the future, there is surely more opportunities with Football as there are few schools that will give scholarships for wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT