ADVERTISEMENT

Is Catholic / Garringer game canceled for Friday?

CCougarsfan

Oct 4, 2019
Got an email that only JV game played this week. I am out of town, was this game cancelled? (if so why)

A shame, hopefully they can get something going over there. Garinger and Harding have been the neglected stepchildren in CMS for sooooo long.

Reactions: beamer24
Garinger forfeited the rest of their varsity season and is now only playing JV. We played them last night with our JV squad(beat them 35-8), they had about 20 players, but some BIG dudes along their OL/DL. Sad state of affairs there, you want so bad for them to succeed, but when the administration, school board and state do not care it makes it difficult.

Garinger forfeited the rest of their varsity season and is now only playing JV. We played them last night with our JV squad(beat them 35-8), they had about 20 players, but some BIG dudes along their OL/DL. Sad state of affairs there, you want so bad for them to succeed, but when the administration, school board and state do not care it makes it difficult.
Stop saying the admin, school board, and state dont care. You might as well blame top tier coaches, top tier players, and top tier parents for not caring. Garinger doesn't need football from a practical standpoint. Garinger's assignment zone is not conducive to top notch football players. They can send those players to other schools and the beat goes on.

But in reality alot of those players find Garinger as a way to get on the field. A way to just play the game they love. A chance to improve grades and be a part of something special. In the days of the look at me, I need a D1 scholly, me, me , me Garinger is refreshing IMHO. They keep going year after year knowing its gonna be tough, knowing they will be laughed at, ridiculed and most likely loose every game they play. But they show up, compete, work hard, and dont quit. Garinger is something to be applauded. The players in that program learn valuable life lessons far beyond the field. Hopefully JV only the rest of year allows them to build, and learn to compete. Coach Galloway is a good coach and will do well at the G.

Stop saying the admin, school board, and state dont care. You might as well blame top tier coaches, top tier players, and top tier parents for not caring. Garinger doesn't need football from a practical standpoint. Garinger's assignment zone is not conducive to top notch football players. They can send those players to other schools and the beat goes on.

But in reality alot of those players find Garinger as a way to get on the field. A way to just play the game they love. A chance to improve grades and be a part of something special. In the days of the look at me, I need a D1 scholly, me, me , me Garinger is refreshing IMHO. They keep going year after year knowing its gonna be tough, knowing they will be laughed at, ridiculed and most likely loose every game they play. But they show up, compete, work hard, and dont quit. Garinger is something to be applauded. The players in that program learn valuable life lessons far beyond the field. Hopefully JV only the rest of year allows them to build, and learn to compete. Coach Galloway is a good coach and will do well at the G.
Not sure what you mean by your first paragraph, but success in football constitutes the whole school being committed.
Also it's 'lose every game they play,' not 'loose'
I hope they are JV only next year too if needed, build it with baby steps as best they can and go from there.

Reactions: footsoldier
Not sure what you mean by your first paragraph, but success in football constitutes the whole school being committed.
Also it's 'lose every game they play,' not 'loose'
I hope they are JV only next year too if needed, build it with baby steps as best they can and go from there.
Mean stop blaming admin, school board, and state. Its not their issue. Just like you have super successful programs, you will have some programs in the other direction. It balances out. You can win in life and football outside of wins/losses. Its called character building, personal growth, and dealing with the hand given. Every team/program doesn't get built in advantages and a different set of rules to play with....What's successful at one school may not be success at another. As long as outsiders always say blame the state, blame this, blame recruiting you only make the issues at the school worse. Every school doesn't get the best athletes, best parents, best attendance zones, best feeder programs, but they have to deal with reality. The reality is Garinger doesn't have the demographics to be successful at football, nor the attendance zones to change it. So support them and stop trying to be a wise guy all the time.

Mean stop blaming admin, school board, and state. Its not their issue. Just like you have super successful programs, you will have some programs in the other direction. It balances out. You can win in life and football outside of wins/losses. Its called character building, personal growth, and dealing with the hand given. Every team/program doesn't get built in advantages and a different set of rules to play with....What's successful at one school may not be success at another. As long as outsiders always say blame the state, blame this, blame recruiting you only make the issues at the school worse. Every school doesn't get the best athletes, best parents, best attendance zones, best feeder programs, but they have to deal with reality. The reality is Garinger doesn't have the demographics to be successful at football, nor the attendance zones to change it. So support them and stop trying to be a wise guy all the time.
Ah yes, a post on a message board will make the situation at Garinger worse. Got it! I'll be whatever I want though big daddy.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Also, I don't see you supporting them. I don't see you donating equipment or moving your home JV game to Garinger so they can get the gate. So mind your own business.

Also, I don't see you supporting them. I don't see you donating equipment or moving your home JV game to Garinger so they can get the gate. So mind your own business.
You are so easily offended. SMH. You don't know what I do. What if I told you I grew up in Hampshire Hills and that both of my bros graduated from Garinger? What if I said my mother in law teaches at Garinger currently? What if I said I mentor a great number of Garinger students already? What if I said I worked at the Autobell across the street from Garinger in college, and eat at the Steak and Shake monthly. What if I voted at Garinger? What if I'm already donating to Garinger sports? What if I'm a big supporter of Garinger soccer and football? Just saying you dont know. I wont be rude and say mind your business on a message board. I'll just say its more to the Garinger story than just football wins and losses

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Serious question here. What is it regarding their demographics that doesn't allow them to be successful in football?

Serious question here. What is it regarding their demographics that doesn't allow them to be successful in football?
Out of any school in CMS..Garinger probably has the most foreign born or have parents that are foreign born in comparison to any other school in the county. Football is an American sport strictly. Just drive down eastway or Sharon amity…Spanish is more commonly spoken than English it feels like lol. They have a decent amount of African and Asian immigrants as well.

Out of any school in CMS..Garinger probably has the most foreign born or have parents that are foreign born in comparison to any other school in the county. Football is an American sport strictly. Just drive down eastway or Sharon amity…Spanish is more commonly spoken than English it feels like lol. They have a decent amount of African and Asian immigrants as well.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Back when I went to High School 2000-2004, Garinger was predominately black. I have said it before they had some serious size walking the halls as well as speed on the field. The kids there weren’t interested in playing football but gravitated towards basketball. They had a couple of good basketball teams in that time frame. If many of the kids went out for football they would have been a problem. It’s tough for that program.

Makes sense. Thanks.
Wiseman hit the nail on the head. They are basically a foreign language school for Hispanics and Africans. They have a large Asian community too. They do have a large Afro American population but many are there from the Cochrane college program and simply want a degree and to start life. If the area has a great athlete they residency out to Rocky River or Vance as those are the neighboring school assignments. Garinger has never gotten the neighborhoods that are closest that dont surround the school but get central ave/eastway or basically heavy latino area. It will likely be 90% latino in 10 years

we lived right behind Garinger for a while when i was a kid. walked out my back door and up the hill to the football field, to school at Shamrock Gardens Elementary, rode my bike all over that part of town. Garinger was once a damn fine school for athletics. i hope they are able to recover in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
The Ego seeks to divide and separate

Some folks on here carry the "No one will ever defeat us" attitude. They walk, talk, think, and breath with such attitude while they are on top until reality hits, coach leaves, athletes migrate to other schools....

Then they will go from a Lion to a cricket over night.

This is based on a true story.......

Wiseman hit the nail on the head. They are basically a foreign language school for Hispanics and Africans. They have a large Asian community too. They do have a large Afro American population but many are there from the Cochrane college program and simply want a degree and to start life. If the area has a great athlete they residency out to Rocky River or Vance as those are the neighboring school assignments. Garinger has never gotten the neighborhoods that are closest that dont surround the school but get central ave/eastway or basically heavy latino area. It will likely be 90% latino in 10 years
There are over 100 languages in that school. Very diverse, and football, though growing in popularity worldwide, is an American-fueled sport. Garringer’s demographics won’t support good football. Has nothing to do with government, admin (weak and overly-used take), or AD.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
There are over 100 languages in that school. Very diverse, and football, though growing in popularity worldwide, is an American-fueled sport. Garringer’s demographics won’t support good football. Has nothing to do with government, admin (weak and overly-used take), or AD.
Correct! Blaming admin, coaches, AD, is pointless. Folks that do that dont really understand Garinger.

You are so easily offended. SMH. You don't know what I do. What if I told you I grew up in Hampshire Hills and that both of my bros graduated from Garinger? What if I said my mother in law teaches at Garinger currently? What if I said I mentor a great number of Garinger students already? What if I said I worked at the Autobell across the street from Garinger in college, and eat at the Steak and Shake monthly. What if I voted at Garinger? What if I'm already donating to Garinger sports? What if I'm a big supporter of Garinger soccer and football? Just saying you dont know. I wont be rude and say mind your business on a message board. I'll just say its more to the Garinger story than just football wins and losses
What if they did, what if she did? Garinger represents the erosion of high school athletics,….everything else as well. When the only noteworthy event at the entire school in the last fifteen years is a gangbanger turf fight during a HS football game which every cop on duty in CMPD responded to is it any wonder what the problem might be? Garinger doesn’t have enough students interested in football. They don’t have enough coaches or volunteers to support football and most everything else as well .

”Shots fired, shots fired!” This is the new legacy at GHS. Where the only things that ever occurred after equality, diversity, and forced busing are crime and decay on a property in one of the country’s worst public school systems.

Wow, it is very rare when a 4A school forfeits their varsity football schedule due to low numbers. Not sure I have heard of that at the 4A level before? It is common in the 1A ranks with some of the smaller schools as the injuries pile up over a season. But I guess it makes sense reading some of the posts above. If the school is largely made up of kids that were not born in the USA or their parents immigrated to the USA there is probably not much football interest in the student body. Are they good at soccer?

What if they did, what if she did? Garinger represents the erosion of high school athletics,….everything else as well. When the only noteworthy event at the entire school in the last fifteen years is a gangbanger turf fight during a HS football game which every cop on duty in CMPD responded to is it any wonder what the problem might be? Garinger doesn’t have enough students interested in football. They don’t have enough coaches or volunteers to support football and most everything else as well .

”Shots fired, shots fired!” This is the new legacy at GHS. Where the only things that ever occurred after equality, diversity, and forced busing are crime and decay on a property in one of the country’s worst public school systems.
Was with you until the last paragraph. Do more research as to why CMS is the way it is now. It does rank as the worst metropolitan school district in the country, but those reasons you mentioned aren’t why.

Was with you until the last paragraph. Do more research as to why CMS is the way it is now. It does rank as the worst metropolitan school district in the country, but those reasons you mentioned aren’t why.
He came to defend his Charlotte Catholic brethren bringing more hate and vitriol. Its a cancelled football game but they mentioning guns, forced busing, equality and gang banging. Shows their true colors...... Team needs to build and forfeits a game and tried to have a varsity season, but nothing but hate from the Catholic side. Its a shame we have become such a hateful society. You would expect more from so called believers, but the scribes and Pharisees come through every time...

He came to defend his Charlotte Catholic brethren bringing more hate and vitriol. Its a cancelled football game but they mentioning guns, forced busing, equality and gang banging. Shows their true colors...... Team needs to build and forfeits a game and tried to have a varsity season, but nothing but hate from the Catholic side. Its a shame we have become such a hateful society. You would expect more from so called believers, but the scribes and Pharisees come through every time...
I never mentioned guns or gangbangers or any of that. Footsoldier did. Don’t confuse. They played us on JV for which we are thankful they did.

Wow that is news.. Charlotte Meck is the worst school system in the country. I am a dual resident of two states Chicago and Las Vegas and both of those area have much worse school systems. It is hard to believe anyone could be worse.

In general the midwest and northeast value education more so than the Carolinas but the big cities that are govern by one party rule have destroyed the education in these area. In fairness the burbs of Chicago especially the western and Northern burbs are really good.

You are right, this is a lot of hate being generated on this board but Foot & CC14 aren't the culprits.....

CMS is no where near the worst school district in America. Not even close. Just more hate being spewed. Even at the so called bad schools some students achieve at very high levels. Most of the so called bad schools are in rural areas or areas where its hard to get teachers. As a CMS graduate i was WAY more prepared for college than students from other areas of the state. Was it perfect NO. But it was nowhere to being the worst.

CMS is no where near the worst school district in America. Not even close. Just more hate being spewed. Even at the so called bad schools some students achieve at very high levels. Most of the so called bad schools are in rural areas or areas where its hard to get teachers. As a CMS graduate i was WAY more prepared for college than students from other areas of the state. Was it perfect NO. But it was nowhere to being the worst.
Not even in the top 25 worst. Go spend sometime in Chicago or Detroit public school system.

Was ranked worst major city school district based on social mobility. Glad CMS worked for you, though. Not the case for many in that district. No hate, though.

Didn’t create it. I have no agenda. I’ve taught in CMS is one of the most underserved schools in that district. I’ve seen it. Until you do that, you have no merit.
Was not suggesting you created or it was your agenda... I certainly did not mean to imply that.... but someone certainly created a metric to serve a specific agenda. My only comment is similar to one another poster made.. If you have not been in areas, like Chicago, Detroit, Las Vegas, most of LA... then please don't preach about merit

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT