ADVERTISEMENT

If playoffs started this week?

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Hey I know we have 3 more weeks and a lot can and will change.

1. Mount Airy vs 32. Polk
2. Mountain Heritage vs 31 Elkin
3. Murphy vs 30 North Stokes
4. Eastern Randolph vs 29 Avery
5. Corvian vs 28 Swain
6. Union Academy vs 27 South Stokes
7. North Rowan vs 26 Cherryville
8. Bessemer City vs 25 Highland Tech
9. Starmount vs 24 Draughn
10. Mitchell vs 23 Albemarle
11. Robbinsville vs 22 Thomasville
12. Bishop McGuinness vs 21 Andrews
13. East Wilkes vs 20 Christ the King
14. Alleghany vs 19 Mountain Island Charter
15. Cherokee vs 18 South Stanly
16. Hayesville vs 17 Carver

Any thoughts on these possible games?

I’m not saying it because my team but Starmount as a 9 seed is kind of tough. I’d say the same thing if another school has been top 5 or 6 in rankings all year. It’s penalizing a team for finishing 2nd and losing to the back-to-back state champs by 3. Why not use the RPI rankings for the whole bracket?

If you use RPI to seed the whole thing then I think you take the benefit of winning a conference championship. There should be some reward for that.
Agree. I would say if you use RPI to seed the whole thing, you need to at least guarantee that all conference winners at least make the playoffs.

Yeah I understand that and they need that reward but the split conferences is where it gets tricky. BC going to probably finish in 3rd in SPC and .500 and seed higher than a 2nd place team isn’t right.

Reactions: Downeastsmashmouth
Yeah I understand that and they need that reward but the split conferences is where it gets tricky. BC going to probably finish in 3rd in SPC and .500 and seed higher than a 2nd place team isn’t right.
I understand that. However, it's not really fair for a 1A team to be told they have to win their conference with three 2A schools in order by be considered the 1A champ. They do however normally have to beat at least one of them (Shelby, Burns, East Gaston) to get at least 3rd place or .500+.

Going to turn it around and ask how would you (or other fans) feel if you had to beat the likes of Shelby and Burns on a yearly basis to be a champion? How do you think we should reward split conference teams?

It's only going to get worse going to 1A-8A.

I think in a split to be conference champion you should have to finish top 2.

I think with the new alignment there will be very few straight conferences and you could see a system of RPI seeding.

I think with the new alignment there will be very few straight conferences and you could see a system of RPI seeding.
Think it’s top three now correct? And finish .500 or better?
I’m not going to even try and predict what they are going to do with new alignment…

Only issue with forcing a strict top 2, is that not many 1A teams are going to compete with Burns and Shelby.

This isn't just a 1A/2A issue either. Look at 3A/4A Queen City conference, most 3A teams aren't going to compete with the likes of Mallard Creek, Hough and Chambers on a yearly basis. You have West Charlotte, which is a 3A school having a record of 5-2, (they should beat chambers this year), which should put them at 3rd in conference.

Again, is it fair to punish the smaller schools because they cannot compete with the larger ones? Instead of the top 3 OR .500+, maybe it needs to be switched to an AND to help seed the teams accordingly.

Reactions: recycled2
UA-SS will be decided in the next two weeks as to who is 1A #1. Rville-Tville would be a great first round matchup to watch. Hayesville-Carver also could be interesting. The others seem to be blowouts!

Why was that messed up? It went by RPI formula and the numbers.

This scenario is by the guidelines set by the NCHSAA.
I say we go back to the days of 4 rounds and 16 teams in the west and you would do away with this watered down money making version. The system is not perfect and I think rpi should be trashed and go back to seeding teams by a committee in a room. Starmount could prob be the #2 seed if they did it the old way. As last year MA deserved #1 seed and should not had to traveled 5 hours away in a perfect world. I hate the rpi in its current format.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
MA was true #1. So why are you complaining about RPI and yall finishing 2nd and being a 9 seed?? If as you say its by the guidelines whats the problem? #800 was sweet in the rams house JS!

The difference is you are complaining about the RPI since MA was not first and you thought they should be #1 just because they won the state championship the year before. Deana is saying that is sucks that the Rams are #5 or #6 in RPI and will be seeded 9th. Big difference.

I say we go back to the days of 4 rounds and 16 teams in the west and you would do away with this watered down money making version. The system is not perfect and I think rpi should be trashed and go back to seeding teams by a committee in a room. Starmount could prob be the #2 seed if they did it the old way. As last year MA deserved #1 seed and should not had to traveled 5 hours away in a perfect world. I hate the rpi in its current format.

Why did MA deserve the #1 seed?

UA-SS will be decided in the next two weeks as to who is 1A #1. Rville-Tville would be a great first round matchup to watch. Hayesville-Carver also could be interesting. The others seem to be blowouts!
Obviously things will change in the next couple of weeks. I believe Thomasville will beat East and lose to Lexington.
A long trip to Robbinsville or Mitchell would likely spell the end for the Dogs. But falling one more spot and traveling to Starmount would too. Personally, I’d rather stay closer to home to take my spanking.

Why not use the RPI rankings for the whole bracket?
You said should do RPI all the way through the playoffs! Thats complaining about the RPI!

Geez dude. That's called asking a question to start a conversation about seeding process in general.

She simply stated, why not use the RPI as the seeding process for the whole bracket so teams that win these crap conferences or ones that get an automatic conference championship because they play in split aren't seeded above more deserving teams.

Geez dude. That's called asking a question to start a conversation about seeding process in general.

She simply stated, why not use the RPI as the seeding process for the whole bracket so teams that win these crap conferences or ones that get an automatic conference championship because they play in split aren't seeded above more deserving teams.
IK!

Conference champions should be guaranteed a playoff spot(which they would be anyways BC everyone makes the playoffs).... And that's it. No way Bessemer city or union academy/south Stanley winner should be seeded that high.

Now Mister flip-flop hates the RPI. Just a while back it was using it to support his bears. Lol. What he means is any system that gets what he wants is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackCat93
I see that you just don't understand what is being said.
It's a Starmount fan complaining about how the playoff seedings are being done bc there team will not get seeded where they prob should be and I get that!!! If MA people complain about same thing then we are stupid. There is such a double standard on here when it comes to MA by posters and all the Moderators. Sportsnut is worse one.

That rematch In the second round has the Bears hosting the Rams right? Hate to see two great programs and conference foes play each other that early. Both have potential to make deep runs. But what a great opportunity to put the what ifs to bed. I’m sure the bears and rams would like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT