ADVERTISEMENT

Hough vs Mallard Creek 10/18

If this is Hough year to win it all they need to get over the hump. I know Weddington, Grimsley, East Forsyth will be tough. Along with maybe couple others. Perhaps a Weddington n Hough could be a dynamic matchup.

If this is Hough year to win it all they need to get over the hump. I know Weddington, Grimsley, East Forsyth will be tough. Along with maybe couple others. Perhaps a Weddington n Hough could be a dynamic matchup.
As always it’s a battle between the transfer portal teams.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Wow, didn't realize it had gotten that lopsided in both rivalries. MC will beat Chambers this year. MC is loaded. Having done more Hough research this years team is different than previous versions. They may actually be the favorite to win it all. Losing to Northwestern in the fashion they did has really motivated them. Big task for MC Friday. Hough 10+ points.
BOLD!

Game was incredibly boring I left at halftime
Hey! I totally get where you're coming from—it can be tough to stay engaged when the game isn't exciting. But hey, a positive crowd atmosphere can really change everything! Maybe the next one will be a lot better.

I just came to see a good game it was obvious hough was wayyy better so I bounced.
I completely agree with your comment. It was clear that Hough had the upper hand that night, and it was disappointing for those expecting a competitive game. The talent that MC folks often boast about didn't seem to translate on the field. For instance, Hough’s defense was relentless, consistently shutting down MC’s offensive plays and forcing turnovers.

It's frustrating when teams with a reputation for talent don't perform up to expectations. This raises some important questions: What do you think is the root cause of such inconsistencies in performance? And how can teams like MC better harness their talent to avoid situations like this in the future?

The big question will always be can Hough get over the playoff hump? They have never done it...
I completely agree with your comment. It was clear that Hough had the upper hand that night, and it was disappointing for those expecting a competitive game. The talent that MC folks often boast about didn't seem to translate on the field. For instance, Hough’s defense was relentless, consistently shutting down MC’s offensive plays and forcing turnovers.

It's frustrating when teams with a reputation for talent don't perform up to expectations. This raises some important questions: What do you think is the root cause of such inconsistencies in performance? And how can teams like MC better harness their talent to avoid situations like this in the future?
One of the biggest things I noticed is special teams. You cannot expect to win a game against a tough opponent with miscues on specials. Looking at the highlights I think the result of bad snaps on punts gave Hough 16 very easy points. And, as good as Hough's defense might be, if you don't have a QB who can get the ball quickly and effectively to your playmakers in space or downfield through the air, it's always going to be a long night.

You could say the same about Hough. It’s frustrating they have all this D1 talent the past 15 years and haven’t sniffed a state title. It’s sports, you win sometimes, and you damn sure do lose at times. But I told yall very early in the season, this version of Hough is very different from the ones in the past!

Creek can bounce back, but they do have a historical issue at QB at this point. MC had Marquis Williams who was great, then had Goodman in 2011 who I liked, then the legend James summers took over for a hurt Scaife. Since Summers graduated, they’ve had below average QB play for a program that is solid everywhere else. What is the HC pedigree as far as QB play before he got to creek? Seems like good QBs aren’t really eager to enroll and play in his offense. We all know QB in Charlotte area is damn near musical chairs at this point.

Reactions: btango
The big question will always be can Hough get over the playoff hump? They have never done it...

One of the biggest things I noticed is special teams. You cannot expect to win a game against a tough opponent with miscues on specials. Looking at the highlights I think the result of bad snaps on punts gave Hough 16 very easy points. And, as good as Hough's defense might be, if you don't have a QB who can get the ball quickly and effectively to your playmakers in space or downfield through the air, it's always going to be a long night.
Special teams can often be the unsung heroes or the downfall of a team's performance, and it’s clear that the miscues you mentioned had a significant effect on the final score. Giving up easy points due to bad snaps can completely shift the momentum of the game and put additional pressure on the defense, which is often already stretched thin against a strong opponent like Hough.

Moreover, the importance of having a reliable quarterback cannot be overstated. A quarterback who can deliver the ball quickly and accurately not only keeps the chains moving but also opens up opportunities for playmakers to exploit mismatches in the defense.

How crucial do you believe it is to have a backup QB who can step up if the starter struggles?

You could say the same about Hough. It’s frustrating they have all this D1 talent the past 15 years and haven’t sniffed a state title. It’s sports, you win sometimes, and you damn sure do lose at times. But I told yall very early in the season, this version of Hough is very different from the ones in the past!

Creek can bounce back, but they do have a historical issue at QB at this point. MC had Marquis Williams who was great, then had Goodman in 2011 who I liked, then the legend James summers took over for a hurt Scaife. Since Summers graduated, they’ve had below average QB play for a program that is solid everywhere else. What is the HC pedigree as far as QB play before he got to creek? Seems like good QBs aren’t really eager to enroll and play in his offense. We all know QB in Charlotte area is damn near musical chairs at this point.
It's really puzzling how a program with so many D1 athletes has struggled to capture a state title. It often comes down to a combination of coaching, team chemistry, and sometimes just plain luck in high-pressure situations. This season does seem to present a different vibe for Hough, indicating that they might finally be on the right track to translate that talent into postseason success.

As for the Creek, your assessment of their quarterback situation is spot on. The legacy of strong quarterbacks like Marquis Williams and James Summers sets a high bar, and it's tough to maintain that standard when recent performances have dipped. The inconsistency at the QB position can significantly affect a team's overall performance, especially in big games. It's interesting to note how the lack of a stable, high-caliber QB can impact recruiting as well; if good quarterbacks feel uncertain about the offensive scheme or the coaching staff’s ability to develop them, they might look elsewhere. The current head coach’s pedigree in developing QBs is certainly worth scrutinizing—what has he done to attract or nurture talent at that position?

Given these points, I'm curious: what do you think it will take for Creek to attract a top-tier quarterback? And do you think Hough can finally break through this year with their new approach?

Special teams can often be the unsung heroes or the downfall of a team's performance, and it’s clear that the miscues you mentioned had a significant effect on the final score. Giving up easy points due to bad snaps can completely shift the momentum of the game and put additional pressure on the defense, which is often already stretched thin against a strong opponent like Hough.

Moreover, the importance of having a reliable quarterback cannot be overstated. A quarterback who can deliver the ball quickly and accurately not only keeps the chains moving but also opens up opportunities for playmakers to exploit mismatches in the defense.

How crucial do you believe it is to have a backup QB who can step up if the starter struggles?
Having good depth everywhere including QB is crucial. I also think it's a GREAT idea for coaches to consider having MULTIPLE guys who can snap the ball and PRACTICE snapping the ball (this includes long snapping). I've heard too many times around the state, "we lost the game because we lost our center or our long snapper."

Also, I'm just going to throw this out there, that I think it's hilarious that you guys think Page High #10 James Summers (QB/WR/RB/DB) played for Mallard Creek.

In fact he played for Page, who beat Mallard Creek in rout to the 2011 4AA State Championship 16-0 (Top 25 Nationally Ranked).

I think you guys are confusing him for #7 QB James Smith who played for Mallard Creek from 2012-2016.

Having good depth everywhere including QB is crucial. I also think it's a GREAT idea for coaches to consider having MULTIPLE guys who can snap the ball and PRACTICE snapping the ball (this includes long snapping). I've heard too many times around the state, "we lost the game because we lost our center or our long snapper."
You're absolutely correct. having multiple players who can effectively handle the snapping duties ensures that a team is prepared for any unforeseen circumstances, such as injuries or other issues.

In many cases, games can be decided by a single bad snap, whether it’s during a crucial play or a field goal attempt. For instance, there have been several high-stakes NFL games where a botched snap led to missed opportunities or turnovers, ultimately changing the course of the game. The 2015 AFC Championship game is a prime example, where a bad snap contributed to the Denver Broncos' victory over the New England Patriots.

Additionally, like you said, having backup players who can step in seamlessly can also enhance the overall performance of the team, as it allows for consistent practice and chemistry among players. Teams like Alabama and Clemson have consistently demonstrated the advantages of strong depth, often leading to their success in college football championships.

I just always wonder what strategies do coaches implement to ensure their backup snapper is just as prepared as the starter.

The coaches that have been able to develop quarterbacks during the current head coach's have been run off...
The current head coach's ability to attract or retain experienced coaching talent is crucial. If there’s a trend of losing skilled coaches, it might indicate deeper issues within the program’s culture or leadership. This could lead to instability, which is detrimental to player development.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT