ADVERTISEMENT

Hayesville @ Murphy

murphydawg4life

Aug 14, 2001
Since we have posts for the other SMC games, might as well do one for this one. Any initial thoughts on this one?

I already gave my thoughts or confusion over where Murphy stands in another thread. Even with that, I still have a hard time thinking Murphy loses here. Time will tell, but I hope it's an enjoyable game.

October 28, 2006 was the last time the Hayesville Yellow Jackets defeated Murphy. The score back then was 38-37.

After 16 straight years of defeat, I believe it’s time for Hayesville to come away victorious!

I honestly think this game will come down to which team has a bad turnover first. Now, I am not counting a deep ball interception on third and long or something like that. But which team has a turnover while they are driving to score or fumbles it to set up the other team in great field position. Last year Hayesville was driving to either tie or take the lead, I can't remember, and a Murphy linebacker made an incredible play, jumped the snap count, and literally took the handoff from the quarterback. That play won the game last year.
One thing to note is if this is a multiple-score game for both teams Hayesville has an advantage, as Hayesville's kicker regularly kicks touchbacks, 18 out of 34 on the season. While it seems Murphy kicks it to the 20 or 30-yard line most of the time. If Hayesville starts on their own 40 when they get it after kickoffs, and Murphy starts at their own 20, that could be a significant advantage. Hayesville's kicker also hit a 44-yard field goal in their last game. Don't be surprised if special teams could play a big factor.

I think Murphy either crushes them or its a struggle to the end, no in-between. If Hayesville got better up front they are easily my darkhorse SMC team. (aside from the Braves)

People seem to forget they actually played Mt. Airy well last yr in the playoffs and if they had any semblance of a O/D line I believe it couldve been a close game.

Yes, our front is much improved, probably the best we have had in any year under our current coach. A really good group of sophomores has helped a lot; plus, we had a senior come back out after not playing last year and got another back who missed the SMC season with an injury last year.

Reactions: MACS2618
I think Murphy either crushes them or its a struggle to the end, no in-between. If Hayesville got better up front they are easily my darkhorse SMC team. (aside from the Braves)

People seem to forget they actually played Mt. Airy well last yr in the playoffs and if they had any semblance of a O/D line I believe it couldve been a close game.
You do realize the score of that game was 49-0

That’s interesting considering Murphy had a better team last year. Also a 7 point game last year
Murphy was better on paper last year but this year's group seems more tight knit and play more cohesive and like a unit in my opinion, so I wouldn't be 100% sure about the 'better team last year' part of your statement. Either way we'll know a lot more about where Murphy stands after this week in my opinion.

As of now I think this is a Murphy team that's pretty well getting the most out of what they have. They aren't loaded with talent like they have been at many points in the past (realistically they're a couple pieces short on both sides of the ball from being a serious regional finalist contender) but I still think they will make a good run in conference and in the playoffs with good health and a few tweaks.

As far as last year's Murphy - Hayesville game goes that was one of the worst officiated games I've seen, for both sides. I can only hope it's a different officiating crew this time around.

Last edited:
Murphy by three TDs. Last year has nothing to do with this year. Murphy is getting better each game and the game is at Murphy. I know Hayesville is also improved, but not enough to win this one minus a bunch of Murphy mistakes IMO.

I'm going out on a limb and picking Hayesville by 1 point. Haynesville line looks huge and Athletic compare to years past. Hayesville has the skill players to match Murphy this year and with the line I'm giving them the edge.

• Haha
Reactions: therealsquid
I honestly think this game will come down to which team has a bad turnover first. Now, I am not counting a deep ball interception on third and long or something like that. But which team has a turnover while they are driving to score or fumbles it to set up the other team in great field position. Last year Hayesville was driving to either tie or take the lead, I can't remember, and a Murphy linebacker made an incredible play, jumped the snap count, and literally took the handoff from the quarterback. That play won the game last year.
One thing to note is if this is a multiple-score game for both teams Hayesville has an advantage, as Hayesville's kicker regularly kicks touchbacks, 18 out of 34 on the season. While it seems Murphy kicks it to the 20 or 30-yard line most of the time. If Hayesville starts on their own 40 when they get it after kickoffs, and Murphy starts at their own 20, that could be a significant advantage. Hayesville's kicker also hit a 44-yard field goal in their last game. Don't be surprised if special teams could play a big factor.
There was also a huge interception by a MHS db on a tipped pass with about 3 minutes left that was returned to the 3 yard line that led to a MHS score on the next play that put them up 2 tds I think.

Not so sure about huge line, both guards are 160.
Those two are undersized for sure but used as pulling guards, 55 is 6'2 220, 58 & 56 looks to be the same size, and 60 is 6' 205. That's a huge improvement for Hayesville as their line has always been undersize and how gritty they play will give team fits this year.

Reactions: recycled2 and WHC02
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT