ADVERTISEMENT

Garinger Head Coach Suspended

Garinger Head Coach Suspended

Anybody have any background on this? Just seems to be going from bad to worse. Given that beating East Meck is about the only thing stopping them from hitting the state losing streak record, it's just brutal.
Ugh, you are right. Football at Garinger is just brutal. Credit to the kids that come out for the team, practice and play on Friday nights. Can't be easy knowing you have close to zero chance every Friday night. When was the last time they had a competitive team? What the heck is wrong at that school that they are this bad year after year? Almost seems like they should give thought to dropping the program if they aren't going to put the effort and resources into at least attempting to be somewhat competitive.

Ugh, you are right. Football at Garinger is just brutal. Credit to the kids that come out for the team, practice and play on Friday nights. Can't be easy knowing you have close to zero chance every Friday night. When was the last time they had a competitive team? What the heck is wrong at that school that they are this bad year after year? Almost seems like they should give thought to dropping the program if they aren't going to put the effort and resources into at least attempting to be somewhat competitive.
Demographic changes and redistricting have hit Garinger hard both academically and athletically.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Demographic changes and redistricting have hit Garinger hard both academically and athletically.
Yeah, it’s a lot of things. I’m not even sure it’s a districting issue, they’re zoned for some big areas where just no kid from those areas goes to Garinger. You can stand out behind the school at 2:30 ish and watch every single bus head out towards Eastway. Not one heads towards Noda, plaza Midwood, the country club.

I don’t even think it’s a resource or effort issue. Like fitguy said, those kids are working pretty hard against the tide. There are kids there on course to go 0-40 over 4 years still playing both ways. They don’t have much of a booster club, but the facilities and field aren’t bad, the coaches pour themselves into it. Demographics, stigma causing kids and parents to dodge the school. Poverty making basic things like transport, attendance and grades more difficult. And as much as I’d usually roll my eyes at the term, school culture.

Reactions: fitguync30
The year Garinger opened in 1960 they won the state championship. After that they were very good for maybe 10 years, or so. They played for at least one other championship in the early 1960's, and lost. Some time roughly around the 1980's or 1990's the bottom fell out.

Last edited:
Was told HC and others on staff were suspended. They literally had to pull coaches in the school from other sports to practice this past week and coach for them on the spot vs Butler. How crazy is that!

The school is in a tough spot. Their zone has some extreme poverty and also some of the most gentrified areas in Charlotte like a poster mentioned plaza midwood and noda where a small 3bd 2bath home is now over a million dollars. Parents in that plaza midwood area are for sure sending their kids to private or charter, no way they are sending their kids to garinger. That Eastway area and East Charlotte in general has a huge concentration of Spanish speakers so they don’t play American football. Outside of Latinos, that Eastway and central ave area is also heavy with other immigrants in general like Asian and African families so it’s just not a good demographic for football when you add that in with the severe gentrified areas not going to garinger either.

I keep mentioning it, but I wonder how gentrification is going to affect some schools in the next 10 years. Other big metros like DC and Los Angeles have already seen some big time programs in basketball and football fall flat on their face when they endure demographic shifts in the community. They will buy property in any area, but they still won’t send their kids to those “area” schools.

Last edited:
Garinger does have one of the biggest alumni bases in Charlotte. They have very affluent and well set up alumni but those people don’t connect or relate to garinger now so they don’t contribute whatsoever and aren’t involved. I know personally some alumni from Garinger that can write a check in two seconds and get their whole athletic department new gear, but it won’t happen.

Yeah, it’s a lot of things. I’m not even sure it’s a districting issue, they’re zoned for some big areas where just no kid from those areas goes to Garinger. You can stand out behind the school at 2:30 ish and watch every single bus head out towards Eastway. Not one heads towards Noda, plaza Midwood, the country club.

I don’t even think it’s a resource or effort issue. Like fitguy said, those kids are working pretty hard against the tide. There are kids there on course to go 0-40 over 4 years still playing both ways. They don’t have much of a booster club, but the facilities and field aren’t bad, the coaches pour themselves into it. Demographics, stigma causing kids and parents to dodge the school. Poverty making basic things like transport, attendance and grades more difficult. And as much as I’d usually roll my eyes at the term, school culture.
I am pretty sure former 49er WR Dwight Clark from way back in the day was a Garinger alum. Does Char Meck schools have open enrollment? If not, seems like they would have enough kids in their district to at least be respectable and there would not be kids in their district fleeing to other schools that have good football teams. It also seems like the Char Meck school board would let the Garinger administration know at some point that if they don't show some improvement in football, their program could be suspended. If they have the power to do that. It's one thing if a school loses 20-30 in a row then gets a few wins. But what is going on at Garinger is an embarrassment to all concerned. And that isn't a shot at the kids playing and the coaches. I am sure they do the best they can.

Reactions: Straight Scope
I am pretty sure former 49er WR Dwight Clark from way back in the day was a Garinger alum. Does Char Meck schools have open enrollment? If not, seems like they would have enough kids in their district to at least be respectable and there would not be kids in their district fleeing to other schools that have good football teams. It also seems like the Char Meck school board would let the Garinger administration know at some point that if they don't show some improvement in football, their program could be suspended. If they have the power to do that. It's one thing if a school loses 20-30 in a row then gets a few wins. But what is going on at Garinger is an embarrassment to all concerned. And that isn't a shot at the kids playing and the coaches. I am sure they do the best they can.
No open enrollment, just a lot of games to be played if you want to move your kid. Mostly by design. There’s obviously the magnet, charter, then private route if you can afford it. Or you can move if your kid has talent and wants to play at a high level. There are other less ethical ways to do it, but that’s a whole other rabbit hole and as far as I can tell the majority of parents go through the normal routes.

Tbh a lot of the issues aren’t things the admin can address. They can’t change zones, they can’t force parents to send their kids there, they can’t change their demographics, they can’t remove two decades of bad rep.

The last time Garinger had a winning season was 2010 with a 7-5 record and 6-4 1995. They have 5 winning season in the past 40 years. Their best was 1984 with a 10-3 record. You can find it on Carolinapreps team pages. They were 8-4 1990 and 7-4 1989 under Jimmy Teague the longtime Reidsville HC.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT