ADVERTISEMENT

Football Talk- How are the numbers looking and who are your studs this season?

Wow71

Jul 5, 2015
Interested in seeing some positive chat about schools, roster numbers, good players, transfer in, transfer out, early graduates, college signees, positive coaching changes, etc. Lets avoid politics, negativity, whining, arguing and covid. There are other postings all about that mess. Practice starts Monday, so lets talk football. Who is your pick to win your conference and states in 2A.

Interested in seeing some positive chat about schools, roster numbers, good players, transfer in, transfer out, early graduates, college signees, positive coaching changes, etc. Lets avoid politics, negativity, whining, arguing and covid. There are other postings all about that mess. Practice starts Monday, so lets talk football. Who is your pick to win your conference and states in 2A.
What are the Bulldogs gonna have? Numbers up any? Will there be a jv team?
My pick is always the Red Dogs. Sometimes disappointed but they’re still my pick.

Reactions: Wow71
What are the Bulldogs gonna have? Numbers up any? Will there be a jv team?
My pick is always the Red Dogs. Sometimes disappointed but they’re still my pick.

I see it like this:
JV- questionable right now. Lets hope the 9th graders come out in force and a few more 10th graders come back out that played in middle school but not last season.
Varsity- Not a big 12th grade class, but several of them are some of if not the best players at their positions in the league. 11th graders class is solid, good numbers and athletic. 9/10 has size and athletic.

Tough schedule for the Dogs with Reidsville, ND, Ledford, Oak Grove. Numbers might be an issue, but with cooler weather they should be good to go. Biggest challenge may be getting an OL out there to battle the bigger schools. Not many older OL kids, most of them are 9/10's but they are big kids.

We got this one guy who can throw to our other guy who can catch it and another guy when handed off to, he can run. That’s all I know. LoL

We got this one guy who can throw to our other guy who can catch it and another guy when handed off to, he can run. That’s all I know. LoL

Good summary Darkhorse04. I would imagine about the same thing for most teams this spring season. I would add that maybe some of our big and fast guys can knock the other teams catchers, throwers, and runners down before they get to far. Practice starts today hope some SWO posters get out there and give some insight on how we are looking.

I see it like this:
JV- questionable right now. Lets hope the 9th graders come out in force and a few more 10th graders come back out that played in middle school but not last season.
Varsity- Not a big 12th grade class, but several of them are some of if not the best players at their positions in the league. 11th graders class is solid, good numbers and athletic. 9/10 has size and athletic.

Tough schedule for the Dogs with Reidsville, ND, Ledford, Oak Grove. Numbers might be an issue, but with cooler weather they should be good to go. Biggest challenge may be getting an OL out there to battle the bigger schools. Not many older OL kids, most of them are 9/10's but they are big kids.
I think there is going to be several teams not having JV. I have heard some big schools with big numbers down.

Wow71,
Someone in a position to know said to me the other day that “not that many of our kids ride the school bus, even in normal times”.
I’m not in a position to really know. What is your take on that issue as it regards Thomasville?

Last edited:
Good summary Darkhorse04. I would imagine about the same thing for most teams this spring season. I would add that maybe some of our big and fast guys can knock the other teams catchers, throwers, and runners down before they get to far. Practice starts today hope some SWO posters get out there and give some insight on how we are looking.

LOL, glad you enjoyed it. On a more serious note, we do have some key players returning at RB, QB, WR and our line should be solid and with size, but beyond that I have no clue as to exactly how talented we will be. It’s a crapshoot but our first scrimmage is the 18th so next week

Reactions: FOOTBALLFANTIC
LOL, glad you enjoyed it. On a more serious note, we do have some key players returning at RB, QB, WR and our line should be solid and with size, but beyond that I have no clue as to exactly how talented we will be. It’s a crapshoot but our first scrimmage is the 18th so next week
And considering the Boys basketball record, some of they key players may be back soon.

Eligibility going to be an issue!! Ive heard of a few players now not eligible with the remote learning. I know for me personally if I were in these kids shoes I would not do well. Have not heard of any major key players yet, but I'm sure there are a few

Wow71,
Someone in a position to know said to me the other day that “not that many of our kids ride the school bus, even in normal times”.
I’m not in a position to really know. What is your take on that issue as it regards Thomasville?

I would say it is about a split between walking and riding the bus. Not many kids drive to campus, maybe 20-30 cars max for student drivers. Heard numbers were about where they have been the last few years first day. Have not confirmed yet.

Im sure there are some bitter basketball coaches out there that are loving being able to hold players out of football. One I heard wont even let those guys show up for scheduled football picture day.

Im sure there are some bitter basketball coaches out there that are loving being able to hold players out of football. One I heard wont even let those guys show up for scheduled football picture day.

That’s crazy. A bball HC I know told me the other day that because he knew his team wasn’t gonna make the playoffs he told his seniors that plan to play football, that they could attend football practice so they don’t miss any PT because of the weird schedules In place. I thought that was very cool. Considering they have like 3-4 more games, that’s a cool coach who was not only thinking of his seniors but the football program also.

I believe the conditioning is waived if they played basketball (not 110% sure). Need to finish up BB and then go to football. Maybe go to practice and watch their position so they can stay up to date on plays and schemes.

I believe the conditioning is waived if they played basketball (not 110% sure). Need to finish up BB and then go to football. Maybe go to practice and watch their position so they can stay up to date on plays and schemes.

That’s how that all came up. We were discussing how usually you have to spend 5 days or so in pads before you can play in a game and with the last basketball games finishing up early next week with scrimmages for some Thursday and Friday that would leave a few guys missing the scrimmage and maybe even the game the following week. But for this particular program it’s not a problem secondary to what I said before and their coaches willingness to allow them to go to football practice early. Idk if the conditioning rules are in fact altered due to the COVID scheduling but if not that could be a huge loss early on for programs with multiple sport athletes.

Looking at South Iredell 3A, I read that South had around 53 for Varsity and 40 for JV that showed up. Normally in August around 70+ Varsity players. Maybe when basketball is over they may pick a few up.

Well this is just a guess based off our team last year assuming everything is the same both QBs return(King and Smith) top WR Kesean Williams and one RB Davion Smith who had alil over 800 yards rushing as the 3rd option. ATH sparkplug Zyon Simpson returns speedy option in passing or running game/Special teams. Lines should be solid Johnathon Blackmon and the Bennett brothers should carry the group. Defensively some holes to fill LB Spencer Westbeek should led the group 3rd year starting in Johnson's system another guy im interested in seeing his growth is Jaekwon Wilson younger brother of conference DPOY Jatiyuhn Wilson he played well as a sophomore last year should have a bigger role this season on both sides of the ball could see alot of action in the offensive backfield good size kid 6'0 210 last year........of course all this is just a guess not sure if we have any key guys move away or eligibility issues etc havent heard anything about any transfers in or out so until the scrimmage just a educated guess based off last season.

Reactions: SWO-#1
Well this is just a guess based off our team last year assuming everything is the same both QBs return(King and Smith) top WR Kesean Williams and one RB Davion Smith who had alil over 800 yards rushing as the 3rd option. ATH sparkplug Zyon Simpson returns speedy option in passing or running game/Special teams. Lines should be solid Johnathon Blackmon and the Bennett brothers should carry the group. Defensively some holes to fill LB Spencer Westbeek should led the group 3rd year starting in Johnson's system another guy im interested in seeing his growth is Jaekwon Wilson younger brother of conference DPOY Jatiyuhn Wilson he played well as a sophomore last year should have a bigger role this season on both sides of the ball could see alot of action in the offensive backfield good size kid 6'0 210 last year........of course all this is just a guess not sure if we have any key guys move away or eligibility issues etc havent heard anything about any transfers in or out so until the scrimmage just a educated guess based off last season.
When is thescrimmage?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT