ADVERTISEMENT

First day of practice, final.

37 is high numbers for a 1A school. Robbinsville was up to 40 today. I heard Swain had decent numbers as well. The Big 3 will be fine sounds like
You got more faith in Swain than I do given everything they lost to graduation and transfer, also heard their best athlete isnt even playing this season, if true that's another gut punch.

I do think they will finish in top 3 but that won't be saying much this season given the state of the rest of the conference right now. The gap between Swain and the top 2 will be large in my opinion.

Any stand outs so far?
I did hear a ghost from Christmas past practiced today and will be on the team this season. Big time athlete but rail thin and hasn't played since 2017.

Missing out on 3 years of weight room and development will limit his impact relative to what it would've been, which was a SMC and 1A star, a true college caliber pure athlete. With all that said he'll still have an impact, you can't teach 6'2 with legit speed and quickness.

Last edited:
You got more faith in Swain than I do given everything they lost to graduation and transfer, also heard their best athlete isnt even playing this season, if true that's another gut punch.

I do think they will finish in top 3 but that won't be saying much this season given the state of the rest of the conference right now. The gap between Swain and the top 2 will be large in my opinion.
Yeah I was talking about numbers, not success!!

Reactions: mbdfan and UNC91
I work with several guys from Swain. Their best athlete is playing. The key for them will be upfront. The other pieces are there.

Reactions: UNC91
Robbinsville with possibly more pure athletes this year than last?
Murphy definitely more athletic overall than last year, worried how Murphy d-line will hold up against Robbinsville o-line without Rayburn though. Rayburn one of the most talented d-lineman I've ever seen in the SMC, not somebody you can "replace".

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Knight
I heard we got a new kid from Enka maybe. Good size. Middle LBer or DE.

I think you will see this across the state as far down numbers. There will always be the team that’s not affected, but it is the reality. It will be interesting to see how many teams don’t have JV.

Sadly very true.. not gonna be the same this spring without JV games. I honestly enjoy those games the most because the kids are young and it's fun watching them be sloppy.

Only 3 teams in our conference right now is even doing it last we were told.. we're 1 of the 3.

Sadly very true.. not gonna be the same this spring without JV games. I honestly enjoy those games the most because the kids are young and it's fun watching them be sloppy.

Only 3 teams in our conference right now is even doing it last we were told.. we're 1 of the 3.
I saw a list of schools with no JV teams this year throughout the Triad, that includes your area, no school currently listed in your conference without a JV team. This could change. There are 10 definite and 6 not decided yet. There is 1 4A school on the list.

I asked this question last year, but it may be more relevant this year. What is the minimum number of kids out for football that allows a program to field a varsity and jv team with any success.
I think 50-55 minimum. Welcome your thoughts.

I asked this question last year, but it may be more relevant this year. What is the minimum number of kids out for football that allows a program to field a varsity and jv team with any success.
I think 50-55 minimum. Welcome your thoughts.
I would think that would be the minimum. With that said, I can’t see a 3A or 4A school being successful with that number.

Yes.
It makes it hard to get varsity games because they have to find someone else to play on jvs.

I think that's great though for the program aside from scheduling issues. Of course that only works in a small conference like the SMC. Probably could help conferences like the NW and MVC since most have a singular middle school that feeds into them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT