ADVERTISEMENT

Elkin vs murphy

KW23

Feb 9, 2011
Who ya got? Murphy blowout or does elkin have a chance? I will be attending this game and hope it's not a blowout.

Reactions: radioguy16
ELKIN BUCKING ELKS
If Elkin is going to do something they better do it this year because they will be in the conference with East Surry & Mount Airy this fall. No guarantees of a close game. But of course, they will still be sm 1A I guess. I hope it will still be called The Northwest Conference
Alleghany
East Wilkes
Elkin
Mount Airy
North Stokes
South Stokes
Starmount

Last edited:
Reactions: Swain97
If Elkin is going to do something they better do it this year because they will be in the conference with East Surry & Mount Airy this fall. No guarantees of a close game. But of course, they will still be sm 1A I guess. I hope it will still be called The Northwest Conference
Alleghany
East Wilkes
Elkin
Mount Airy
North Stokes
South Stokes
Starmount
They wont be small A next year.

Elkin barely got by SMC 3 place team.
Murphy beat Andrews by 3 or 4 tds but the game is at Elkin.

Murphy 28
Elkin 14.

Reactions: CherokeeKid
After what WSP did to Robbinsville..Im shocked..you're using scoring comparisons.for potential outcomes...LOL..using your logic is bascially saying that both M.Airy and East Surry would beat Murphy and Robbinsville by 5 or 6 td's..since they both beat their 3rd place team WSP by that many...LOL..be careful...LOL..with that being said..I give a slight edge to Murphy at Elkin..but wouldn't be surprised at all if Elkin pulled off the upset...Styles make fights.

Last edited:
After what WSP did to Robbinsville..Im shocked..you're using scoring comparisons.for potential outcomes...LOL..using your logic is bascially saying that both M.Airy and East Surry would beat Murphy and Robbinsville by 5 or 6 td's..since they both beat their 3rd place team WSP by that many...LOL..be careful...LOL..with that being said..I give a slight edge to Murphy at Elkin..but wouldn't be surprised at all if Elkin pulled off the upset...Styles make fights.
I was thinking the same thing. 😄

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
In Robbinsville's win last night...they were severely humbled.and exposed...and by all intents and purposes should have lost.at home...had WSP had a little better coaching.that would have been the case... MA and ES simply match up better with WSP simply due to overall team speed. What Robbinsville and Murphy have are good hard nosed, die hard players and amazing coaches who both will there teams to victory. I honestly think that gone are the days of super parity in the SMC..it is now severely top heavy. You have Murphy...You have Robbinsville..all other teams in that conference would definitely not win other conferences like they would have in the past. Times are and have changed. SMC has amazing tradition and 2 perennial power house teams..after that...its an average conference much like others now..This isn't a bad thing...just a real thing. You know for sure that when you play Robbinsville and Murphy..that they both expect to beat you..and more times than not unless youre a MA or ES type team you should expect to lose to Murphy or Robbinsvile..Swain has fallen by the waste side it seems...their name alone use to invoke fear..an a loss..no matter their rank..but that has gone..kind of like Thomasville and Burlingtom Cummings..it happens sometimes..

Last edited:
In Robbinsville's win last night...they were severely humbled..and with all intents and purposes should have lost...had WSP had a little better coaching. MA and ES simply match up better with WSP simply due to overall team speed. What Robbinsville and Murphy have are good hard nosed, die hard players and amazing coaches who both will there teams to victory. I honestly think that gone are the days of super parity in the SMC..it is now severely top heavy. You have Murphy...You have Robbinsville..all other teams in that conference would definitely not win other conferences like they would have in the past. Times are and have changed. SMC has amazing tradition and 2 perennial power house teams..after that...its an average conference much like others now..This isn't a bad thing...just a real thing.
I'll give you Mount Airy some years, but when did East become some bastion of speed? Murphy's played them three times and I've seen them on film this year, it's a bunch of white boys dude lol. Murphy was more athletic than them the last two times they played them. C'mon man, East have some really good players, a good scheme and definitely some good athletes but nobody is in awe of them. Last year was an anamoly, a once in a lifetime event for them that was helped along by two big time transfers and a pair of brothers (Gosnell) that are the type of talents East may never have walk their halls again.

East and Murphy actually have very similar level of athletes, East is probably the closest analog to Murphy in 1A/1AA when I look at the strength of both of their athletic programs across the board and what they do. East plays a scheme that suits their current kids and they're doing well, but please dont try to make them out to be something they aren't. I use to really like East but too many people on this site have poisoned the well by talking nonsense about them and what they are.

Last edited:
In Robbinsville's win last night...they were severely humbled..and with all intents and purposes should have lost...had WSP had a little better coaching. MA and ES simply match up better with WSP simply due to overall team speed. What Robbinsville and Murphy have are good hard nosed, die hard players and amazing coaches who both will there teams to victory. I honestly think that gone are the days of super parity in the SMC..it is now severely top heavy. You have Murphy...You have Robbinsville..all other teams in that conference would definitely not win other conferences like they would have in the past. Times are and have changed. SMC has amazing tradition and 2 perennial power house teams..after that...its an average conference much like others now..This isn't a bad thing...just a real thing.
Sounds a lot like Mount Airy and East Surry's conference. The SMC's 3rd place team took a good conference champion team down to the wire last night too compadre.

Lol...Swain is washed up brothers..its a two horse race in that conference..No one fears Swain anymore..and once the mystique is gone..you no longer beat teams before you get off the bus..like they used to..Facts...also true that E.Surry is not a bastion of speed..but they do have good overall team speed that seemed to match up a lil better with WSP..than them mountain boys did last night. WSP made Robbinsville look ordinary...last night...regardless of what you guys think...there's no way you or your fans seen that one coming..Styles make fights though indeed. SMC is a great traditional conference that has a lot of laurels to rest on. For now though, they are top heavy with 2 teams..much like the rest of the state...The parity in the conference just isnt there...but its still a great conference.

regardless of what you guys think...there's no way you or your fans seen that one coming..
Not true, I actually did see that coming. Maybe not a nailbiter (which was helped along by Robbinsville injuries) but I definitely foresaw Prep putting some real points on the board last night. Unless you've seen them or athletes similar to them they are extremely difficult to prepare for.

Murphy and Robbinsville have both been through some rough patches too over the years, hell so has Swain prior to this rough patch, but all three have and will continue overcome it and rise back to the top at some point. Don’t see how this is even debatable.
I actually kind of agree with him, take away the great group they had a decade ago ('11-'13) and Swain has fallen somewhere between mediocre to solid since '04. I think Swain will bounce back from this season pretty soon but the days of them being a yearly threat appear to be over.

Reactions: DaBluePrint1
I actually kind of agree with him, take away the great group they had a decade ago ('11-'13) and Swain has fallen somewhere between mediocre to solid since '04. I think Swain will bounce back from this season pretty soon but the days of them being a yearly threat appear to be over.
So is the ebb and flow of high school sports. There is only a handful of teams that have enjoyed decades of borderline domination. When's the last time you heard Cummings, Thomasville, Albemarle, Ayden Grifton, Independence, Starmount, Asheville, James Kenan be spoke of with fear? Those all were once yearly contenders, very very dominate teams. Then comes the time that the fans quit saying "their only down, just rebuilding", and they fade off to irrelevance. Sure, they might have a good season here and there, but their run is over. It will happen to Mitchell (hopefully we get a ring before then), It will certainly happen to Murphy, as they are going away soon. And it will certainly happen to East Surry. The cards are a flash in the pan, like so many we have seen before, their boisterous fans are more proof as such.

East Surry and MA have always been great teams and have great tradtion along with Swain...its just that Swain's fall from grace hits hard due to their vaunted (and rightfully so) place in football lore. They are just an average team now..and like it or not...they alone are what diminishes the strength of how the SMC is viewed by others now in the flatlands.. Robbinsville and Murphy do help take up the slack...but no one fears an SMC team on their schedule anymore unless its Robbinbsville or Murphy....and in most cases now..other conferences expect to beat the other teams...(Andrews, Cherokee, Hayesville, Rosman) no one is fearing those teams bro.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cdoc73
Elkin was by the ropes that final minute but Andrews made a bad play call and Elkin got that huge stop for a loss. Honestly confused as to why Andrews didn't try a pass that 2nd to last play.. beats me. For that time consuming offense they run Andrews moved the ball extremely well which is surprising due to Elkin's size. Murphy will take the breaks that Andrews got and run with it more and be more consistent.. Elkin better have a good week of practice and be ready to get hit. Wood can't let them slack.

If they come out and play like they did yesterday or vs Ashe then it may be a rough night for them. They made a lot of mistakes they haven't done in all their run vs Ashe like dumb fumbles and what not which is what helped Ashe take off. Murphy's in a whole other league.

It'll either be close or a moderate win for Murphy. One or the other.

Elkin didn't play last week wonder if they were rusty

If Andrews had any semblance of a passing game they would've won last night. They outplayed Elkin in the 2nd half

Alleghany
East Wilkes
Elkin
Mount Airy
North Stokes
South Stokes
Starmount
If iam not mistaken East Surry will move up to 2A?

Reactions: sbbbfan
Only reason Elkin was the overall 1 seed is luck of the draw. Not a bad team but I don't think they are any match for Murphy. Hope I am wrong.

Who said we were supposed to blow them out? Nobody from Murphy.....We knew going into last night it was going to be a tough game.

If you look back on that thread you'll see some people that said so. It doesn't matter if they were from Murphy or not. You might have not thought it would have been a blowout but I'm sure many others did.

If you look back on that thread you'll see some people that said so. It doesn't matter if they were from Murphy or not. You might have not thought it would have been a blowout but I'm sure many others did.
Well it doesn't really matter what Joe Blow from XYZ said on NCPreps, Murphy staff intimated that TJ was the most talented team they had seen this year as soon as they got a good look at film. So the people that matter (players and coaches) always knew that was going to be a hard fought game.

That is my point. People just assume a Murphy blowout because it's Murphy.

They could be in for another dog fight Friday. The ones that don't study film don't know how well anyone matches up. It's just a guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT