ADVERTISEMENT

East Wilkes 8-0, 4-0 @ Starmount 5-3, 3-1

EWCards#1

Aug 19, 2004
Ronda NC
This game is probably the deciding factor for the 1A side of the conference. Whats everyone's thoughts and/or opinions?

E.Wilkes needs to play smart football. Starmounts real strength is their special teams. I have saw so many highlights of punts and kick offs returned for Td's by Prescott. If East is wise this is an area that they pay special attention to. Can Starmount stop the run..im not sure..but Wilkes Central sure did a number on them..Should be a good game.

I think Starmount is easier to game plan for than Ashe. The real interesting thing here is EW and Starmount have similar philosophies, outstanding D and ball control O. Line play is huge this week, contain the jet sweeps and be crisp on special teams. Gonna be another dandy to watch, at least I'm afraid so.

I think Starmount is easier to game plan for than Ashe. The real interesting thing here is EW and Starmount have similar philosophies, outstanding D and ball control O. Line play is huge this week, contain the jet sweeps and be crisp on special teams. Gonna be another dandy to watch, at least I'm afraid so.

Great points. I do believe teams will have better success against East attempting to throw or at least be able to threaten the pass. The battle at the line of scrimmage and which team will limit turnovers will determine the winner.

I would like to see East use the passing game a little more than they have so far.

Guys, I will not be able to be at the game on Friday night and it is driving me crazy. If someone can keep the score updated on here I would be grateful.

I like old school throw only as necessary. Right now I love our line play, we handled Ashe up front. If not for our breaker issues it would have showed more how tired they were getting. I'll try keep it going realfreedom depends on how much I get into the game.

I think this game is the most important of the year. The Ashe win was great, beating WC would be fine, but Starmount is the team that carry's the banner for the league year in and year out. We have not beat them since the mid 70's and this is a big game for the East program.

Nothing against old school football, but it will only get you so far come playoff time. You have to make good teams be fearful of more than 3 plays. I trust Vestal to make good decisions and the O-line to pass block when called on.

The game plan for East Wilkes so far has been nothing but successful. Why change what is working? I say every team East plays is fearful of every offensive weapon east has, and that is the reason it has been so successful. Bryan averaged 4.3 yards a carry against Ashe. That stat alone is what makes every other play and position on the field deadly.

I'm with you Labar, that O is the same one Oklahoma tore the lat 70's up with. It's a mentally tiring game of being gap sound every play. Teams can't just "fly around" and "hit somebody" with all those weapons. As long as the A back gets 3+ yards per carry keep those passes to break their spirits with. This coaching staff may be one of the best since BW Holt was at Starmount.

You mention BW Holt. I always wanted to see what Richard Grissom could have done with the type of talent BW had a Starmount. IMO, I would take Grissom.

Grissom could always take a group of 15 and give almost anyone a fit. BW got the most out of the kids. Be good to see EW kids stay in red jerseys for a change. We have lost good kids to both schools.

Reactions: Realfreedom
Good deal, we are going to Liberty's homecoming. I should be able to listen to Joel online.

Pudge, what do you think about this game?

If East Wilkes turns the ball over against Starmount like they did against Ashe, the Rams will blow them out. Ashe just couldn't get things back together after losing two offensive starters and East played a great second half.

I think if EW doesn't beat Starmount this year they never will....and they're gonna sell a lot of liquor Saturday morning.

Maybe not so true of a statement as far as if East doesnt beat Starmount this year they never will. After tonights upcoming JV game vs the Rams JV, you may see that East will have a couple of years to win in this series With a lot of several sophmores already pulled up to varsity. The JV team for E.Wilkes should roll Starmount by 3 to 4 tds tonight..
So, maybe just maybe this wont be East last chance at a crack of beating Starmount in the future. I think a statement like that kind of sells Starmount short of the tradition rich football history and mystique that is synonomous with Starmound football. You guys know its something bout those Ram helmets that have been known to strike fear in the opponents that have in the past may have had better teams, but lost the game before the opening kick off, while being bedazzled by those horns..Realtalk should be a great game. East defintely has as good of a chance as they ever had. Maybe better chances in the next 2 years for real. Should be a great game.

Reactions: mbdfan
Blueprint that's my biggest concern is that the Starmount name. No doubt they have tradition but our guys don't need to treat it any different than any other game. Turnovers equalled good stops for Ashe with 2 inside the 10 and 3 total. I think EW will be fine Adkins will have them ready.

I just looked at a varsity roster. We have 9 or 10 sophomores on the team and about 14 seniors. The JV team is beating the fool out of everyone even though they do not have those guy's. If East stay's healthy and hungry they will be around for a few years.

Starmount wins this one until East Wilkes can prove they can beat Starmount. East Wilkes hasn't beaten Starmount since Richard Nixon was President and the Rock Group The Beatles were still together making number 1 Hits. Starmount 28-27 East Wilkes

My point is EW appears, on paper, to be a significant favorite. They've never been...again, on paper....this much better, if ever, than the Rams.

Good deal, we are going to Liberty's homecoming. I should be able to listen to Joel online.

Pudge, what do you think about this game?

Real, WIFM is broadcasting the game and I try to keep the score updated on the ScoreStream App if you have that. If I can, I'll try and post updates on here as well in case you cant get the game on the Radio.

Almost time, Anyone have any "bold predictions" for the game??

Also: Update on Jared Poplin, this is Post I saw on Facebook from early this morning: "Update please say a prayer for Jared Poplin he is going to have a stent put in his kidney because his urine is draining in his stomach later today thanks"

Last edited:
Real, WIFM is broadcasting the game and I try to keep the score updated on the ScoreStream App if you have that. If I can, I'll try and post updates on here as well in case you cant get the game on the Radio.

Almost time, Anyone have any "bold predictions" for the game??

Also: Update on Jared Poplin, this is Post I saw on Facebook from early this morning: "Update please say a prayer for Jared Poplin he is going to have a stent put in his kidney because his urine is draining in his stomach later today thanks"
Predict Starmount returns at least one punt or kickoff for a td

Yikes lets hope not..But that is a solid prediction. Special teams not a solid point for E.Wilkes.

Prayers and best wishes for a full recovery for Jared. Hoping for a competitive, hard fought game with no injuries. No prediction on a winner here ... toss up in my book. Will look for the winner on WXII later.

Reactions: EWfootball05
Sounds like we missed a great game. We caught some of it online with Joel. Not the same as being there, but better than nothing. Great job Cards!!!!!

CARDS 28
RAMS 21
AMAZING GAME...SO HARD FOUGHT AND CLEANLY PLAYED BY BOTH TEAMS

Definitely on point, Very clean and great sportsmanship by both sides. Love to see teams fight hard for a W and play clean while doing so. East Defense finally came to life after a couple possessions. Camon Bryan had a huge night running the ball, I heard over 200 yards, not sure how accurate that is. I do know Joel said at halftime he had 94 and in the second half he had several long runs. Good to see EW throwing the ball a little more than normal. Vestal kid has really stepped up since Ward's injury.

The Prescott kid is a beast and just an all around great RB. Hats off to Starmount and good luck the rest of the season!!

Reactions: EWfootball05
Looks like Central is one really good running back. This might be the biggest win, seeing these guys get their confidence going early after beating Ashe and Starmount. Side note the score of this was closer than the game. That 6 min drive in the 4th for Starmount to close it to a one score game ended at 2:30 to go. EW A back was getting 15-20 yards each carry in the 4th, I don't see WC being any different.

Not sure its fair for either team to say the score was closer than the game. Fact is it was a close game pretty much till the end. Yes; East Wilkes did begin to take control of the line of scrimmage a lot more in the 4th quarter, but the East players had to work for every bit of it and Starmount earned every point they scored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT