East Lincoln 35 Lincolnton 14

Lincolnton

Well-Known Member
Nov 19, 2002
6,727
475
83
Congratulations to the Mustangs on their win. I thought this was a pretty good game. The score at half time was 14-14. East scored quickly at the beginning of the third quarter and our drives began to stall. Hats of to their defense for that. They would score again late in the third quarter or maybe it was in the fourth quarter to make it 28-14, then tack on another score with about a minute and a half left in the game to finish up with 35-14.

A BIG congratulations and thank you to our Wolves for being a team with class and continuing to be part of a respected football tradition. Thanks for all the effort you have put into this season having eleven victories and allowing our people to identify with a winner.

Thanks Coach Cloninger for all you have done in fielding tough but disciplined teams year after year. We will miss you greatly. I hope you will still be part of our program in one way or another. No one could have asked for a better coach. You have exemplified everything the Wolves stand for from your days as an outstanding running back up through your years as an offensive coordinator, and as our head coach and athletic director and mostly for your dedication to educating and teaching our young people to be good citizens and how to be a part of a team and community. Thank you so much for being a friend to the people of Lincolnton. All the best to you and your family in your retirement and may God bless you.
This post was edited on 11/28 10:52 PM by Lincolnton
 

Godevilsgo

Well-Known Member
Aug 24, 2013
3,330
486
113
Amen. As good as it gets. Time to enjoy life and slow down. Coach Cloninger had a fine season. He will be missed by the loyal Lincolnton community.
 

dplubo

Well-Known Member
Aug 9, 2007
981
36
28
Great coach and great team, sad to see this game end... A great atmosphere
 

Lincolnton

Well-Known Member
Nov 19, 2002
6,727
475
83
Originally posted by dplubo:
Great coach and great team, sad to see this game end... A great atmosphere
I second that. It was a great atmosphere. Good luck to you guys, next week.
 

Shelby Lion

Well-Known Member
Oct 3, 2002
10,628
1,889
113
Dirty Ankle, NC
Was hoping Coach Cloninger had another run to title game for his last hurrah.....doesn't take away from the fact he is one of the finest coaches around and as classy as they come...

Good luck Coach in your retirement ....entire Lincolnton community and those that know good coaching will miss you on the Wolves sidelines.,..
 

Lincolnton

Well-Known Member
Nov 19, 2002
6,727
475
83
Thanks Shelby Lion congratulations on beating Reidsville.Good luck against the Mount Pleasant Tigers, next week.
 

PervicaxLupus

Well-Known Member
Oct 11, 2012
49
0
0
Yeah, just about as good as it gets in that port-a-john they call a stable...I mean stadium. I seriously hate going there.

On a better note, thanks to Coach Cloninger for maintaining the high level of class that fans from across the state have come to associate with Lincolnton High School football. It was a great ride and a productive last season. Thanks for all you've done and best of luck in the days and years ahead. I know you'll be "around".

And congrats to the kids for a great season! You guys did great!
 

CM3

Well-Known Member
Nov 1, 2005
735
50
28
We were definitely happy to have you there, I really hope you weren't one of the poor saps to have your car towed, I would definitely feel bad for you.
Coach Cloninger is a heck of a coach and person, congratulations on a great career.
To the game, great one of course because the Mustangs won, the freshman held his own and did a great job. Big stops in the second half and the EL offense did a great job. #51 is a stud, hope he finds somewhere to play.
 

HitmanT

Well-Known Member
Jul 25, 2007
2,404
686
113
Thought the Wolves had a shot, but I guess the E Lincoln boys are just that good.

Congrats on a good season L-town!
 

AlwaysAWolf

Well-Known Member
Nov 28, 2007
330
116
43
Lincolnton, NC
Congrats to East. Surratt is the real thing. (I was a little disappointed with his pose/taunt the LHS sideline, but was impressed that he did it before the receiver scored, and began it as the ball was on the way..great vision! I called the penalty, but the referee disagreed
Warned him instead) Confidence. Poise and mad skill. Great vision and instinct. I'm looking forward to his graduation some year. And where do ya'll continually find tall, fast receivers? Great offense and gameplan. Well done, coaching staff. And the backup QB throws a nice ball, too. Hope he's a senior.

Congrats to the LHS Wolves on another deep run. We have begun to take these for granted, but we need to step back and realize just how special these years really are. Thanks to the kids. Best I could tell, you left it all on the field on Friday night. Cloninger had a dull, boring gameplan...that came one defensive holding penalty from making things really interesting. But when the night was over, hugs and handshakes showed that competition can be handled in a classy way - win or lose.

CM3, I echo your thoughts on 51. (Roberts) Nice kid. Low maintenance. Hard worker.( Imagine that frame when he fills out-)
He makes things happen, but he's been playing in a shadow.

Congrats to Coach C. I know he didn't wanna end his career with a loss, especially to East, but that is small potatoes in the big picture of a fine career. He leaves the program in good shape for the next guy.

Franklin better be all they believe they are, and a little more. See you Friday.
Originally posted by CM3:
We were definitely happy to have you there, I really hope you weren't one of the poor saps to have your car towed, I would definitely feel bad for you.
Coach Cloninger is a heck of a coach and person, congratulations on a great career.
To the game, great one of course because the Mustangs won, the freshman held his own and did a great job. Big stops in the second half and the EL offense did a great job. #51 is a stud, hope he finds somewhere to play.
 

Bigtomcat34

Active Member
Dec 8, 2011
34
0
6
SHADOWS!!!!!!!! Are u kidding me? I recall a player his freshman year(#66) that played in the shadows of Dee Littlejohn, Michael Cunningham along with the rest of the team .But he still was able to make a name for his self that season, and if I recall correctly #51 was afforded that same opportunity to produce as Roseboro was. Shadows!!!!!!!!!!! #51 was introduced to every college recruiter and head coach that were inquiring about Roseboro. Also Roseboro didn't get that advantage from anyone his opportunities came from hard work and dedication along with giving up many summers to attend camps and work on his skills. Shadows!!!!!!!!!!???????? From the 10th grade on #51 has played in every varsity game that Roseboro has, against the same competition. #51 and # 3 attended the same Shrine bowl Combine that Roseboro attended, so I guess on that particular day he was not in Roseboro's shadow or was he???The fact is Roseboro has afforded #51 more opportunities than #51 has afforded him. It is a sad story and it is always sang the same way.......
This post was edited on 12/1 11:56 AM by Bigtomcat34
 

AlwaysAWolf

Well-Known Member
Nov 28, 2007
330
116
43
Lincolnton, NC
Perhaps, friend, you missed my point? Darian Roseboro is indeed the shadow that I was referring to, but I can't exactly see how that simple reference has sparked your multiple-punctuation induced rage. To play in another's shadow necessarily infers that the former is large enough, figuratively and literally, to cast aforementioned shadow. Roseboro is definitely big, and actually cast shadows on many at said Shrine Bowl Combine. I anticipate that he will break his own record for bench presses this year. I actually agree with you that 51 and every other kid on the LHS roster has benefitted from the exposure afforded them by Darian Roseboro's notoriety, as he has been quite the attraction, spawning the presence of coaches, scouts, helicopters, tv stations and newspapers. I have observed him in the gym, and on the practice field. I agree that he has, indeed, worked hard for all of that. But as you point out, he also benefitted greatly from exposure afforded him by playing on that 2011 team full of stars (you mentioned some earlier) coached by a well-known coach, in one of the premier programs in 2A football. He did not arrive alone, as you infer, at his destination.

I suspect that you may well be related in some way to the man and woman in the stands who scream constantly at the coaching staff, berate other players, and drop profanity-laced tirades toward coaches if they happen to scold the shadow-maker at all. If so, then I need you to know what a negative, putrid, pathetic shadow you cast over #45. And, really. Do you think he's the first athlete to go to summer camps, to work hard, or to play every game?

I appreciate Darian Roseboro, and the work he has put in...but he is not, and will never at any level be bigger than the team he is on. That team has given him a leg up, an advantage, a stage upon which to perform and be noticed. I wish him the best at NC State, but I don't believe those screaming people will benefit him at that level either. D1 sidelines are packed with hometown heroes, freak athletes and big shadow-casters. He will have a chance to show his superiority. And HE IS GETTING HIS DUE!

Back to #51. I hope he has a chance to show something, too. For the life of me, I don't know why kudos for 51 would rile you up so much. Surely there's enough spotlight for somebody other than 45? 51 has a different set of challenges, and I hope he gets a chance to play football on Saturdays, if that's what he wants to do. And I can assure you that my hope takes nothing at all away from Darian Roseboro.

GO WOLVES!


Originally posted by Bigtomcat34:

SHADOWS!!!!!!!! Are u kidding me? I recall a player his freshman year(#66) that played in the shadows of Dee Littlejohn, Michael Cunningham along with the rest of the team .But he still was able to make a name for his self that season, and if I recall correctly #51 was afforded that same opportunity to produce as Roseboro was. Shadows!!!!!!!!!!! #51 was introduced to every college recruiter and head coach that were inquiring about Roseboro. Also Roseboro didn't get that advantage from anyone his opportunities came from hard work and dedication along with giving up many summers to attend camps and work on his skills. Shadows!!!!!!!!!!???????? From the 10th grade on #51 has played in every varsity game that Roseboro has, against the same competition. #51 and # 3 attended the same Shrine bowl Combine that Roseboro attended, so I guess on that particular day he was not in Roseboro's shadow or was he???The fact is Roseboro has afforded #51 more opportunities than #51 has afforded him. It is a sad story and it is always sang the same way.......



This post was edited on 12/1 11:56 AM by Bigtomcat34





This post was edited on 12/1 2:44 PM by AlwaysAWolf

This post was edited on 12/1 2:55 PM by AlwaysAWolf
 

Bigtomcat34

Active Member
Dec 8, 2011
34
0
6
Yes I am very related to the man and woman you are referring to. I've not heard them bad mouth players but yes I've heard them say not so nice things to the coaches, especially the defensive coach not going to say a name but you know who Im talking about the one who makes up stats for the players. I know this has been brought to the head coaches attention but still has continued. Also as a family member I can promise you this nobody gives a da-- what you think of any of this. His records stats or anything else ..your just a outsider looking in.....Also in reference to him benefiting greatly from the exposure from the 2011 team ,,,,,,please enlighten me......... obviously you know a great deal more than I do....Nothing you say matters to 45 his parents or his grandparents.... your opinion means nothing.....I'm sure you know who I am ......and I would gladly tell you the same thing face to face........and also about the cussing the entire coaching staff uses profanity.........And far as the bench pressing record you need not worry about it....it will be in college and not at Lincolnton High School.........See ya at the Shrine bowl hope u sit close enough to hear us rooting for north Carolina and you may not hear the man and woman cussing because guess what no Lincolnton coaching staff will be on the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

LTown Wolves

Well-Known Member
Oct 2, 2008
234
113
43
Wow, I didn't realize 45's family had such strong negative feelings toward the Lincolnton coaching staff. I'll miss seeing both 45 and 51 suit up in black and gold, but it's starting to seem like the departure of 45's family will kind of be an addition by subtraction type of thing.
 

Bigtomcat34

Active Member
Dec 8, 2011
34
0
6
You have no idea how relieved we are.......for future players lets just hope Lincolnton hires a coach from outside!!!!!!!
 

AlwaysAWolf

Well-Known Member
Nov 28, 2007
330
116
43
Lincolnton, NC
Wow. Ingrate. I guess you shouda taken the star to Maiden in 2012. And, fact is... you coulda transferred any time. Why'd you stay here with a coaching staff you hate?

I guess setting up an offense to revolve around a Defensive End wasn't enough... And, yeah. I know who you are now. I sat beside you early in the season, and heard all from you that I could stand as well. Unbelievable. "Tell him you ain't blocking if you don't get the ball" "Its the LB fault, don't fuss at him." "Tell him to shut up, or you won't run the ball anymore."..."F*^%$ the coaches." As I said...that won't play in Raleigh. Everybody's a superstar there. Nobody has to listen to the crap that the Wolves coaching staff hadda put up with...

Really, dude. You are embarrassing yourself (nothing new there) andcasing shade on a program and staff who's reputation has been garnered overs many years, and not based on statistics. Faithful, true, loyal Wolves. Go to Raleigh. Maiden, or wherever.

I hope the next hire, for the sake of generations of loyal fans, children and players...comes from Lincolnton High School!

GO WOLVES!
 

LTown Wolves

Well-Known Member
Oct 2, 2008
234
113
43
Well regardless of the feelings of the Roseboro family, I hope that Darian had good experiences at LHS and I wish him nothing but success at NC State and beyond. I, for one, will miss seeing him out there on Friday nights.
 

Bigtomcat34

Active Member
Dec 8, 2011
34
0
6
LOL.......embarrassing myself how so oh great football expert...do please tell.....how many football teams have you coached or better yet does your son play and what position.....or is he a bench warmer.....either way u seem to know me.....but your not much of a man to hide behind a computer screen........Please stop worrying yourself about #45 future....and what he achieves in Raleigh that will be between him and his coaching staff there....Please continue to do whatever it is you do...and ill continue to do me....as for building the offense around Darian that was the coaches choice not his.....guess he wanted to win games and we did a great job of it....wouldn't you say........SO please lets move on and stop fussing about this........and move on to what ever it is you do next Baseball Maybe......
 

AlwaysAWolf

Well-Known Member
Nov 28, 2007
330
116
43
Lincolnton, NC
Whatever pawpaw. Your embarrassing yourself has nothing to do with football knowledge.
What next, gonna challenge
me to a fight? C'mon. #dontbreakahip

And I've known a lots of benchwarmers with hearts like lions, just not the body to match. Love those guys.

Originally posted by Bigtomcat34:

LOL.......embarrassing myself how so oh great football expert...do please tell.....how many football teams have you coached or better yet does your son play and what position.....or is he a bench warmer.....either way u seem to know me.....but your not much of a man to hide behind a computer screen........Please stop worrying yourself about #45 future....and what he achieves in Raleigh that will be between him and his coaching staff there....Please continue to do whatever it is you do...and ill continue to do me....as for building the offense around Darian that was the coaches choice not his.....guess he wanted to win games and we did a great job of it....wouldn't you say........SO please lets move on and stop fussing about this........and move on to what ever it is you do next Baseball Maybe......
Best wishes to Darian.
 

CM3

Well-Known Member
Nov 1, 2005
735
50
28
Always a wolf let it go, sadly enough this is what high school sports is coming to, EL is 14-0 and there are still people in the stands yelling and screaming at the coaches, parents, fans, etc.... As hard is it is for me to say this any parent should be proud that their son gets to play in such a well rounded respected program as Lincolnton. The true fans, the coaches, alumni and players make programs great not the what have you done for me lately's
 

AlwaysAWolf

Well-Known Member
Nov 28, 2007
330
116
43
Lincolnton, NC
Agreed sir, on all counts. I feel the lesser for engaging the gent. The voice of reason, from Denver,NC... Well spoken.

Please don't make me ever say that again!




Originally posted by CM3:
Always a wolf let it go, sadly enough this is what high school sports is coming to, EL is 14-0 and there are still people in the stands yelling and screaming at the coaches, parents, fans, etc.... As hard is it is for me to say this any parent should be proud that their son gets to play in such a well rounded respected program as Lincolnton. The true fans, the coaches, alumni and players make programs great not the what have you done for me lately's
 

Godevilsgo

Well-Known Member
Aug 24, 2013
3,330
486
113
+1 I did not get a seat at the games so I stood in the grass at the 20 yards line with a bunch of idiot fans from East Lincoln. These fans normally are not at the games I have attended before. The things they were saying were sad and sickening. Trashing the 14-0 coaches and certain players was awful. According to them only four offensive players are the only good players on the team and everyone else sucks.

Undefeated, win by 21, and playing lights out all year. I guess there is trash everywhere. I thought the big lake houses and developments had drove the gangsters out. Apparently not.
 

Lincolnton

Well-Known Member
Nov 19, 2002
6,727
475
83
Originally posted by AlwaysAWolf:

Agreed sir, on all counts. I feel the lesser for engaging the gent. The voice of reason, from Denver,NC... Well spoken.


Please don't make me ever say that again!






Originally posted by CM3:
Always a wolf let it go, sadly enough this is what high school sports is coming to, EL is 14-0 and there are still people in the stands yelling and screaming at the coaches, parents, fans, etc.... As hard is it is for me to say this any parent should be proud that their son gets to play in such a well rounded respected program as Lincolnton. The true fans, the coaches, alumni and players make programs great not the what have you done for me lately's
Thanks CM3 and good luck, Friday night... He too, is the family of an all-state athlete out of Lincolnton High School.
 

BRENNAN2002

Well-Known Member
Sep 24, 2002
294
0
0
AlwaysAWolf... I've read the entire thread and can't figure out how what you posted got such a negative response from one poster. I think the response explains a lot to many Lincolnton fans. It's important to remember that football is a team sport. I'm proud of this years "team".

As for the coaches... We Lincolnton fans have been fortunate for many years to have excellent coaches and this year is no different.Their job is to invest in every young man out their and that is a challenge at times. They sacrifice themselves to teach and lead student athletes. I'll join the overwhelming majority on the thread and say thank you coaches.

We will miss you Coach Scott Cloninger! You are a first class coach and person.[/B]
 

AlwaysAWolf

Well-Known Member
Nov 28, 2007
330
116
43
Lincolnton, NC
Originally posted by BRENNAN2002:
AlwaysAWolf... I've read the entire thread and can't figure out how what you posted got such a negative response from one poster. I think the response explains a lot to many Lincolnton fans. It's important to remember that football is a team sport. I'm proud of this years "team".

As for the coaches... We Lincolnton fans have been fortunate for many years to have excellent coaches and this year is no different.Their job is to invest in every young man out their and that is a challenge at times. They sacrifice themselves to teach and lead student athletes. I'll join the overwhelming majority on the thread and say thank you coaches.

We will miss you Coach Scott Cloninger! You are a first class coach and person.[/B]
Thanks, Brennan. I didn't expect it myself. And I echo your sentiments regarding the LHS staff and team.
Proud of 'em all, team and coaches.
Wait'll next year.

GO WOLVES!
 

LHSWolves

Well-Known Member
Oct 31, 2005
3,361
23
38
Originally posted by CM3:
Always a wolf let it go, sadly enough this is what high school sports is coming to, EL is 14-0 and there are still people in the stands yelling and screaming at the coaches, parents, fans, etc.... As hard is it is for me to say this any parent should be proud that their son gets to play in such a well rounded respected program as Lincolnton. The true fans, the coaches, alumni and players make programs great not the what have you done for me lately's
So......true.........I think winning makes it worse......no wait.....it's pretty bad at that other Lincoln County school also.

I'm not sure how coaches ignore it not sure I could. Funny how the coaches in the stands know more than the coaches on the field. If they were so good why aren't they don't there coaching.
This post was edited on 12/3 8:51 PM by LHSWolves
 

LawDog515

Well-Known Member
Aug 15, 2002
5,993
0
36
First, let me say congratulations to the Mustangs. The overall team speed and solid fundamentals the entire team plays with is incredible.

I, for one, and many others I'm sure, would like to thank Coach Cloninger and his talented staff for yet another great ride into the playoffs. We are a very spoiled fan base at LHS and it's through the hard work and dedication that these men give of themselves tirelessly that we have become spoiled. We will certainly miss seeing Scott on the sidelines, but I'm pretty sure he'll still be around to help us out in any way that he possibly can.

Thank you to the players of this year's edition of the Wolves!!! These young men left it all out on the field EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT!!! Thank you WOLVES!!!

ALWAYSAWOLF...you have nothing to apologize for. In no way would a rational person misconstrue anything that you stated. You were spot on with your assessment and stated it with the eloquence befitting of a Wolves statesman.
 

AlwaysAWolf

Well-Known Member
Nov 28, 2007
330
116
43
Lincolnton, NC
Originally posted by LawDog515:
First, let me say congratulations to the Mustangs. The overall team speed and solid fundamentals the entire team plays with is incredible.

I, for one, and many others I'm sure, would like to thank Coach Cloninger and his talented staff for yet another great ride into the playoffs. We are a very spoiled fan base at LHS and it's through the hard work and dedication that these men give of themselves tirelessly that we have become spoiled. We will certainly miss seeing Scott on the sidelines, but I'm pretty sure he'll still be around to help us out in any way that he possibly can.

Thank you to the players of this year's edition of the Wolves!!! These young men left it all out on the field EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT!!! Thank you WOLVES!!!

ALWAYSAWOLF...you have nothing to apologize for. In no way would a rational person misconstrue anything that you stated. You were spot on with your assessment and stated it with the eloquence befitting of a Wolves statesman.
Of all the names I've been called on this board,' Eloquent Statesman' is by far my favorite. Although I sort of inferred the actual title...

Thanks, though. I was beginning to doubt my ability to effectively communicate without inciting anger. Parents/grandparents expect a lot these days, and are fickle at best. I'm one, too, so I've done my share of second guessing coaching decisions. BigTomCat is probably a good guy outside this conversation. I agree with your entire post. Thanks for your input.
 

Latest posts