ADVERTISEMENT

Easily College kids adding to ADM's

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
Wanted to get some thoughts on this issue. It's new to the Wilmington area and may trend to other areas. Wilmington has 2 easily college HS and the county has allowed them the opportunity to play sports at two public schools. One to Hoggard and one to New Hanover. Both Hoggard and NH ADM will increase by around 250 kids each. This will take Hoggard from 1868 to 2100 plus. The problem is, little to none of these kids will ever play sports. This will take Hoggard from 4A to 4AA even though their true numbers are 4A size. After the next realignment, NH will be moved to 4A even though their real numbers are 3A. I know Hoggard and NH will play whoever is in front of them but this seems to defeat the purpose of subdividing.

Reactions: Raiders Rollin
Port, I know several in the Wilmington area were upset about New Hanover being 3A in the last realignment … Was this done to help them be a 4A school in the next realignment?

Richmond County has had "Early" College for several years. Don't know about now, but when it started there was no way for any of them to participate in athletics due to timing. They were still counted in ADMs.

As VCO mentioned in regards to Vance. They would definitely be small 4A. But their on campus 1875 students and the addition 380 of magnet school and other programs that live in their zone, move them up to Big 4AA.

I am hearing that the numbers will be added this season. Hoggard will go 4AA. NH was upset when they were dropped but I doubt they regret that now with all the success they have had at the 3A level. With just over 1500 kids it would be hard to compete with schools that have 1000-1200 or more kids.

As VCO mentioned in regards to Vance. They would definitely be small 4A. But their on campus 1875 students and the addition 380 of magnet school and other programs that live in their zone, move them up to Big 4AA.
I am not sure how the magnet school works but early college schools basically recruit kids to enter their program by the 8th grade. These are kids that knew there would not be any sports available to them and they were fine with that. That tells us that we are not dealing with kids that have any interest in sports at the HS level. There will not be 1 kid to play any sport at hoggard or NH this year.

Porcity FB! I believe, to my understanding. If your school does not have a magnet program. You can attend another school that has a magnet program if excepted. The ADM numbers will go towards the school that you were zoned to attend.

Porcity FB! I believe, to my understanding. If your school does not have a magnet program. You can attend another school that has a magnet program if excepted. The ADM numbers will go towards the school that you were zoned to attend.

It varies by the local school systems which has been the determining body in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT